Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Sobering article for NSC Bikers and Motorists

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Saw that yesterday. Hard hitting footage.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Saw that earlier. Quite shocking. I did think that maybe his control would be better with both hands on the handlebars, and a bit less speed. Not being a biker, ive no idea if both hands on the handlebars makes a difference, but seems to me it would...imagine this sort of accident is standard as people having not been 'seeing' motorbikes for years.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Riding way too fast with one hand. Sad he is dead and I hope this footage reminds bikers that riding like this idiot will get you killed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
TBH this sort of thing does not surprise me at all. There seems to be an unwritten rule that motorcyclists must not be held up in any circumstance and therefore any sort of hatch markings or attempts at separating opposite lanes of traffic are there for cars only. It's sad when any life is cut short by an accident but I do lose sympathy if someone dies doing something this stupid and selfish.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Feel a bit sick after watching that. It does go to show that however good your helmet and however good your protective clothing, come off at speed and the odds are stacked against you.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
It is awful, and he was going too quickly for the road, but the car driver admitted to not seeing him or the car he had passed and got charged for driving without due care and attention.
The driver should have taken longer to look for faster moving traffic especially bikes. Not everyone drives at the speed limits, especially on NSL roads and assuming that every car is doing the speed limit or less is a dangerous game.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Could have been the best biker in the world but it doesn't guarantee you'll be safe in a world with other road users. And going at that speed doesn't help one bit.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It is awful, and he was going too quickly for the road, but the car driver admitted to not seeing him or the car he had passed and got charged for driving without due care and attention.
The driver should have taken longer to look for faster moving traffic especially bikes. Not everyone drives at the speed limits, especially on NSL roads and assuming that every car is doing the speed limit or less is a dangerous game.

Onus should always be on the biker tho eh? For they will always come off second best - at high speed- in any collision with a car.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Onus should always be on the biker tho eh? For they will always come off second best in any collision with a car.

From what I can see it was shared fault. The Biker was using inappropriate amount of speed for the road(approaching a junction, traffic, etc). However at 60mph the biker would still have struggled to avoid that collision, the car either didn't take a second look or did but decided to commit to the manoeuvre. Although the bike will always come off worse, all road users should be equal in the amount of care they take on the road IMO, everybody is vulnerable on a public road no matter how big the tin box around you is.

Dec 29, 2011
From what I can see it was shared fault. The Biker was using inappropriate amount of speed for the road(approaching a junction, traffic, etc). However at 60mph the biker would still have struggled to avoid that collision, the car either didn't take a second look or did but decided to commit to the manoeuvre. Although the bike will always come off worse, all road users should be equal in the amount of care they take on the road IMO, everybody is vulnerable on a public road no matter how big the tin box around you is.

100mph and 60 mph really are two different worlds. He was going way too fast for the situation and at 60mph I think he wouldn't have died in this instance.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Didn't find it that horrific. Pretty much how I thought it would look.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here