Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monza - Italian Grand Prix pre practice

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting developments. Toto Wolfe of Mercedes says that if Hamilton and Rosberg continue to be unable to race together there will be a sacking. Hmm I wonder whether they'd sack the German driver in a German car rather than the Englishman?

On the track Hamilton pissed Pre Practice one and beat Rosberg by .8 of a second. Funnily Hamilton's car has now developed a problem and won't start so he hasn't come out for practice 2. Rosberg now tops the time sheets in practice 2 as Hamilton's car is dismantled. Can one driver really have all the bad luck or could there be more to it????

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rosberg lives in Monaco and his father is a Finn. I don't think the German public are that fussed about him personally.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Interesting developments. Toto Wolfe of Mercedes says that if Hamilton and Rosberg continue to be unable to race together there will be a sacking. Hmm I wonder whether they'd sack the German driver in a German car rather than the Englishman?

On the track Hamilton pissed Pre Practice one and beat Rosberg by .8 of a second. Funnily Hamilton's car has now developed a problem and won't start so he hasn't come out for practice 2. Rosberg now tops the time sheets in practice 2 as Hamilton's car is dismantled. Can one driver really have all the bad luck or could there be more to it????

It's a team sport first and foremost. Why would Mercedes "develop" a problem for Hamiltons car? Mercedes want to win the World Championship too

Lewis' engineers will be in full support of Lewis to try and beat Nico's side of the garage. They are as competitive as the drivers.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a team sport first and foremost. Why would Mercedes "develop" a problem for Hamiltons car? Mercedes want to win the World Championship too

Lewis' engineers will be in full support of Lewis to try and beat Nico's side of the garage. They are as competitive as the drivers.

I know, but you couldn't make up the problems Hamilton has had compared to Rosberg's one non finish.

Hamilton's car possibly fixed, he has 30 mins left of this session. Come on Lewis, set the fastest time and keep the pressure on the cheating German :wink:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

and doesn't all the money come from winning the constructors championship, and not the drivers?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It seems that quite often Lewis is fastest in first and second parctice but somehow Nico often pips him for pole in the last couple of laps. Either he holds something back or Lewis pushes too hard and messes up. it is odd.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Pretty much this. Mercedes would gain absolutely nothing from undermining either of their drivers, plus, as said, it would require Hamilton's engineers being in on it (unlikely) or not finding out (even less likely).

I'm still surprised that Mercedes publicly slated Rosberg for his actions in the last race after the stewards had cleared him.
Whilst it does make sense that the drivers shouldn't be potentially taking each other out after 2 laps they were told (according to quotes) that they were free to race each other. If it wasn't made clear that there was a specific time that would be allowed from (end of the race?) and he did nothing wrong in terms of driving style (which he didn't), what basis was there to fine him?

Edit; Of course, none of this really matters as we all know that with the same car the legend that is 'Nando would be champion this, and every other, year.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Edit; Of course, none of this really matters as we all know that with the same car the legend that is 'Nando would be champion this, and every other, year.

This of course is rubbish as he struggled to contain a rookie Hamilton in his first year in F1 and Alonso is on record as saying the only driver he fears is Hamilton, but carry on anyway. I think Ricciardo would also give both of them a good run for their money in the same car, after all he has totally blown away Vettell "up there as one of the greatest drivers of all time" (as we were repeatedly told last season as he won yet another title with a team mate who was a virtual pensioner by F1 standards).

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
and doesn't all the money come from winning the constructors championship, and not the drivers?

Pretty much.

Mercedes will make a decision on which driver they keep based on many factors, not just nationality I suspect.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
This of course is rubbish as he struggled to contain a rookie Hamilton in his first year in F1 and Alonso is on record as saying the only driver he fears is Hamilton, but carry on anyway. I think Ricciardo would also give both of them a good run for their money in the same car, after all he has totally blown away Vettell "up there as one of the greatest driver ever" (as of last season) this year.

He can fear someone and yet still be better than them.

That said, and to be fair to them both, they've both said that the other is the best driver on track (presumably not including themselves), there seems to be a mutual respect there, if not any affection. I say we follow their lead and agree to disagree, whilst recognising the other drivers obvious ability...plan?

With you on Ricciardo, would also love to see Grosjean and Hulkenburg in a top car, suspect they could mix it with the big names.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That much is true. However good a driver I was, I'd fear Grosjean. The clumsy mentalist.

Not watched much Formula One in the last couple of years? He has matured enormously, Maldonado has taken his crown as the resident track nutter.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

That said, and to be fair to them both, they've both said that the other is the best driver on track (presumably not including themselves), there seems to be a mutual respect there, if not any affection. I say we follow their lead and agree to disagree, whilst recognising the other drivers obvious ability...plan?

With you on Ricciardo, would also love to see Grosjean and Hulkenburg in a top car, suspect they could mix it with the big names.

Agreed.

I have been really impressed with Grosjean over the last couple of seasons, I reckon Vergne is another one who could shine in a top team. Kvyat as well, there are some excellent young drivers coming through. Bottas and Ricciardo have been the revelations this year though both putting their older more experienced team mates to the sword.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
looks like Jenson Button will shown the door at the end of this year,McLaren with a works Honda engine next year will be a very attractive seat

wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hamilton go back there

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Ricciardo would give Hamilton a run if they were in the same car, however young verstappen (sp) could be interesting next season.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
looks like Jenson Button will shown the door at the end of this year,McLaren with a works Honda engine next year will be a very attractive seat

wouldn't be at all surprised to see Hamilton go back there

I'd like to see Vettel to Mercedes and Hamilton to Red Bull

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Fair point, although Grosjean has calmed down (a bit) this season. However his team mate Maldonado has not..........very scary!

Maldonado can't even look at the buttons on his steering wheel without crashing.If he didn't have £30 miilion in sponsorship money he'd be nowhere near an F1 car.
Slightly suprised JEV has been been dropped for young Verstapen but I guess he's had long enough to prove himself within the Red Bull / Toro Rosso stable.
Next year could be very interesting depending on how well Honda have been developing their engine. Were it not for the fact that they are putting it in a McLaren (see how badly they've done with the best engine this year) they could certainly be in the mix.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here