Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tour of Britain watch in two places

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Watch the Tour in Haywards Heath and then leg it to brighton to see the finish, the best place maybe is on the Haywards Heath one way system as they will have slow up for the lights only joking the bends. Get a good breakfast in the Broadway.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Watch the Tour in Haywards Heath and then leg it to brighton to see the finish, the best place maybe is on the Haywards Heath one way system as they will have slow up for the lights only joking the bends. Get a good breakfast in the Broadway.

Do you own a breakfast joint in The Broadway by chance.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was hoping to watch at Uckfield, Newhaven and Brighton but it might be a bit tight getting to Brighton faster than them. I can't think you would have to leg it from Haywards Heath to Brighton, you'd have plenty of time to cycle it.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are they still planning to remove the palace Pier roundabout, for the weekend?

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good chance to see the Tour in slow motion on Ditchling Beacon rather than see them whizz past in two shakes of a lambs tail on the flat.
Other than the fact they probably won't even change gear for that speed bump. :down:

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As an interested (for the day!) non-cyclist can someone explain please what a 'profile' is in regards to this event?
Road profile = flat to them, lumpy to us.

Standing in world cycling profile = on the up.

It's a good race, that's improving.
The strength of GB riders make it a competitive field.
A fair few young semi-pros have signed pro contracts on the back of a good showing, so it's a nice mix of rider.
The organisers have worked on a good route which also encourages a better class of field.
The race is hampered by running at the same time as the Vuelta, one of only 3 Grand Tours, France and Italy.
But enhanced by being one of the last competitive races before the Worlds.

It's probably on a par with FA cup quarter final day.

Not as big as the next 2 rounds, but bigger than the 8 previous.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

A fair few young semi-pros have signed pro contracts on the back of a good showing, so it's a nice mix of rider.
The organisers have worked on a good route which also encourages a better class of field.
The race is hampered by running at the same time as the Vuelta, one of only 3 Grand Tours, France and Italy.

Any chance of them moving it so it doesn't clash with the Vuelta? Though obviously it'll always clash with something.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Thanks!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are they still planning to remove the palace Pier roundabout, for the weekend?

This might be an absolute woosh moment for me but ...... how could they remove that roundabout ? It's a solid one not one of those mini painted on ones isn't it ?

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So they WON'T be pushing their bikes up the Beacon like us mere mortals then? Gah!
:cough: :cough:

The Geeks soooo know what's coming next:-

Myself and Jnr stat did a sportive ride from Plumpton last Sunday.
After the event I asked him if he wanted to see how far he could get up the Beacon.
He was keep and try.
I was absolutely amazed and so proud of jnr Stat cycling up the Beacon, no stops no feet down, just guts and bloody mindedness.

Oh and Jnr stat is 9. :cheerleader:

Edit - Post 12677 from Geeks

Well what a day that was.

We did the Evans Plumpton sportive for the second time, it was great to see jnr's progression with his bigger bike.
It seemed a bit more eclectic than last year and a little less bike snob (well at least until I got there :lol:), although that could be because we arrived after the first couple of waves had left.

Junior didn't realise I was 'training' him for the main event, by keeping him in the saddle and concentrating on his breathing and turning his legs up every incline.

With about a couple of miles to go 14 years old Alistair and his mummy caught up to my wheel, at which point mummy says:-
'Are you doing the fun ride'
'er yes'
'Oh do you mind taking Alistair back to the start while I do another 15 miles?'.
'er no'
And off she goes leaving me with Alistair who happens to have appalling road sense and even less directional sense. :shrug:

Anyhoo after the event we drove up the road to Ditchling, and set off again for the Beacon:-

View attachment 58117

I was hoping he'd get halfway up.
I was behind saying 'breathing and legs'.
Then gee him up over every ramp.
He just kept going.
Halfway up and I still didn't believe he'd do it, 'breathing and legs'.
But by the time we could see the horse crossing sign I was going mental, full on Old Ma Murray.
'Come on, you can't give up now'.
'Now count down the bollards 6, 5, 4, go on finish it off' 3, 2, 1 'yeeesssss'.

View attachment 58121

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
:cough: :cough:

The Geeks soooo know what's coming next:-

Myself and Jnr stat did a sportive ride from Plumpton last Sunday.
After the event I asked him if he wanted to see how far he could get up the Beacon.
He was keep and try.
I was absolutely amazed and so proud of jnr Stat cycling up the Beacon, no stops no feet down, just guts and bloody mindedness.

Yada yada. Me and my son can trump that. We once cycled, ok, free-wheeled if you must, down Mount Teide, the highest mountain in all of Spain. Beat THAT bike boy! :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This might be an absolute woosh moment for me but ...... how could they remove that roundabout ? It's a solid one not one of those mini painted on ones isn't it ?
No idea but it was mentioned when the course was announced.

They were talking about 'how keen every city was to be involved', 'what they were doing for the race' etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here