Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5th ODI - England v India at Headingly, 5th September, 2014

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
We’re currently 91 for 3, having rallied after being 39 for 2. I know people are having a go at Cook at the moment, but I think we have bigger problems that Cook’s place in the team. The most worrying thing is the thought process behind our selection, we appear to have absolutely no idea who to pick, we don’t even understand what type of players we need. For starters how have they not figured out Stokes and Woakes can’t play in the same team. Neither is good enough to get in on bowling alone or batting alone, but they do a bit of both so they put them in. They’ve dropped Balance today and moved Ali up to three, which makes no sense as Ali is a better player of spin and they’re now putting him in a position to face pace. People will have opinions over whether Cook or Morgan should be in the side and I accept that they’ll be in or around the side but what really annoys me is that they’re in and there’s no place for Bopara, who has probably been our best one day player for the last year and half two years. And what about Taylor???? I think we have an idea of what we want in the Test team and the T20 team, but this ODI is shocking and the lack of a plan of action just doesn’t allow us to get any better as we have nothing to build on.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We fail to make a decent totol three times so we select an extra bowler. Genius

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We're as shit at one day cricket as India are at test cricket.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
And even more annoyingly after banging on about how we haven't got a clue, they make me look stupid by setting a reasonable target :)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
But winning this match will ony serve to persuade them they don't need to change too much, and they really need to

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Agreed it wouldn't solve anything.

We're as shit at one day cricket as India are at test cricket.

The frustrating thing is that a large proportion of it is self inflicted. Was it you that posted that extract from the Spin earlier in the week pointing out that four of the guys with the highest List A average of any active cricketer (Chopra, Balance, Taylor and Bopara) were struggling to even get near having a game? It's also noticeable that, while Cook was quick to bristle when told of Swann's criticism of their ODI strategy (targeting scores based on statistics) he didn't deny that it was true. Similarly it's taken them three games to realise that they can play more than one spinner (and even then it's necessitated Ali batting horribly out of position).

On current form Trott is looking a possible outside bet for the ODI side, but even excluding him the squad they could potential have looks pretty decent;

Openers: Chopra, Hales
Middle order: Ballance, Root, Taylor, Ali, Morgan, Bopara
Wicket keeper: Buttler
All rounders: Stokes, Woakes, Ali
Spinner: Tredwell
Quicks: Finn, Anderson, Broad, Jordan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills