Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Sussex County Championship action for three and a half weeks!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex last County Championship game was 15 August. Their next one in 09 September.

That's a THREE AND A HALF WEEK gap right in the middle of summer! I thought cricket was supposed to be a summer game?

That really is crazy scheduling.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Utterly ridiculous. Packaging the two one day tournaments into their own little portions of the season has ruined the continuity for me. it's ok if your team maintains an interest deep into the 20/20 or 50/50 games, but if like us you are out early it leaves you kicking your heels. You have also seen the last of weekend cricket at Hove (go back to June for that).

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
ECB have mucked up the schedule big time this year, we have three county games in September going right to the last week, when we know the weather starts getting more rubbish and will probably go off for bad light.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Only one match over the school holidays and that wasn't at home for us.

Surely that would be a good time to schedule some matches? Time when a lot of parents would have to be off work and looking after kids and needing something to do for a whole day? Make a vague attempt to get youngesters interested in the game

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The Test Match schedule was a bit intense, certainly for a touring side.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Seems to me that county cricket is starting to take a "back-seat" to the limited over games now.

Absolutely. The "need" to play 20/20 on fridays completely screwed the schedule. One aim of the new system was to regulate the fixture list, BUT they still couldn't keep it consistent with 20/20's on days other than fridays, and our last home championship game starting on a tuesday rather than a sunday. FWIW I enjoyed popping down to Hove for the few sundays that they had play, very enjoyable. However thanks to the weather at the beginning and poor scheduling later on these were few and far between. I will definitely review the fixture list before deciding which membership to get next season.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Absolutely. The "need" to play 20/20 on fridays completely screwed the schedule. One aim of the new system was to regulate the fixture list, BUT they still couldn't keep it consistent with 20/20's on days other than fridays, and our last home championship game starting on a tuesday rather than a sunday. FWIW I enjoyed popping down to Hove for the few sundays that they had play, very enjoyable. However thanks to the weather at the beginning and poor scheduling later on these were few and far between. I will definitely review the fixture list before deciding which membership to get next season.
Botham was banging on about reducing the county championship to 12 counties. I guess we'd be prime candidates for the chop being a non-test ground county?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here