Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

98% of meadows go missing

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this isnt intensive farming, its EU common agricultural policy. i believe they are changing soon so that any land not under plough cant be used for crops under CAP in the future. it mentions this at the end. it at no point backs up the exaggerated "98% meadows lost" claim, when most meadows are either protected or those that people keep for that purpose, horse grazing and so on.

if it bothers people so much, they should buy the farmland and leave it to meadow.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Thankfully there are still some beauties down here in Devon.
I was driving past a lovely water meadow the other day near a town called Modbury.Full of wild flowers and stuff.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If we are so bloody good at destroying nature, how come the dandelions keep growing back in my garden ?

its just a flower in the wrong place

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Rather than paying substadies year on year for land the government or EU should simply make one final payment for the land and have it returned to woodland, meadows, wetlands or the like.

For me aforestation in particular should take over the millions of acres of farms that lay baron or are only deemed workable with subsides. As a nation we take the moral high ground with countries like brazil and borneo for exploiting their rainforests when many 100's of years ago our island was one huge ancient forest.

As beutiful as our highlands are for instance they should, at least in part resemble the evergreen forests of scandinavia, teeming with pine martins, wolverines, bears, beavers ect. Lets set an example to the rest of the world and return a good chuck of our countryside to its ancient state I say.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Learn to love your Weeds (Neighbourly Advice)

this isnt intensive farming, its EU common agricultural policy. i believe they are changing soon so that any land not under plough cant be used for crops under CAP in the future. it mentions this at the end. it at no point backs up the exaggerated "98% meadows lost" claim, when most meadows are either protected or those that people keep for that purpose, horse grazing and so on.

if it bothers people so much, they should buy the farmland and leave it to meadow.

By my book, grazing land is called pasture. Meadows are different. They are harvested for hay. Very few (2% or less) traditional meadows were left after the green revolution in farming post WWII. They were ploughed up then. Resown with grasses. Not the "useless" flowers and Corn Cockles. Thereon it gets complicated but rough cattle pasture (also post WWII on the downs) and meadows are different. Meadowland makes good football pitches, if drained.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here