Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Forest CEO makes FFP a priority

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
http://www.nottinghampost.com/New-N...ecutive-Paul/story-22868197-detail/story.html

The new Forest CEO has decided to make FFP a priority but it seems like he is confident it won't be enforced.

Some quotes from the article:

After taking up his new post at the City Ground, former Aston Villa CEO Faulkner says getting to the bottom of the issue will be one of his first priorities.

"I am hoping to talk to people at the Football League to get my arms around that side of things. It is an important part of the club,"

"There is a starting point, which will be to spend some time with the people at the Football League, to make sure we understand the nuances of it.

"There are a lot of debates and discussions around it. There is still a question mark there.

Seems a very different stance to us that's for sure.

D

Deleted member 22389

http://www.nottinghampost.com/New-N...ecutive-Paul/story-22868197-detail/story.html

The new Forest CEO has decided to make FFP a priority but it seems like he is confident it won't be enforced.

Some quotes from the article:

After taking up his new post at the City Ground, former Aston Villa CEO Faulkner says getting to the bottom of the issue will be one of his first priorities.

"I am hoping to talk to people at the Football League to get my arms around that side of things. It is an important part of the club,"

"There is a starting point, which will be to spend some time with the people at the Football League, to make sure we understand the nuances of it.

"There are a lot of debates and discussions around it. There is still a question mark there.

Seems a very different stance to us that's for sure.

So they spend the money then go running asking for some clarfication on the rules, shouldn't they have done this right at the start. Hope FFP comes down hard on the clubs that broke the rules. Only reason they are top is because they have overspent. By the time anything gets around to being sorted out they will probably have been promoted.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I think he may be a little too late to make it a proirity

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I was under the impression they had a 500m sponsorship deal over 10 years, so a lovely 50m a year from the chairman/company. These are exactly the nuances he's talking about i'm sure, who decides what market value of a sponsorship deal is I dont know.

I'm willing to bet they meet the FFP requirments.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
We have a New Forest down here. That has Verderers not CEO's.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Convenient after spunking ridiculous money on untold amounts of players in the past 2 years. It won't be enforced anyway, pathetic loopholes will be found and clubs will just take it to court if it came to it.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I don't understand this quote from him

"Even if Forest were hit with an embargo, they could, in theory, sign new players, under specific circumstances.

If a player leaves the club, they can be replaced as long as any new player does not earn more money than the one who has departed"

Is this not what clubs do to stay within a clubs budget anyway?

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
I think it will be even sweeter if we finish above teams like Forest this season, working within FFP and still finishing top 6 would be a great achievement.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Seems to be so many definitions of FFP and different views on how to adhere - or appear to be adhering. Some clubs would appear to be attempting to abide by the letter of the regulations whilst others seem to be dedicated looking for loopholes and grey area's. The Forest sponsorship scheme last year was an example.

QPR went for broke last year and got away with it. I refuse to accept they came close to complying. There's been plenty of questions regarding Forests Compliance too. Will the Football League or Premier League have the balls to really financially clobber those clubs who have taken the piss? We await with interest.......

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't understand this quote from him

"Even if Forest were hit with an embargo, they could, in theory, sign new players, under specific circumstances.

If a player leaves the club, they can be replaced as long as any new player does not earn more money than the one who has departed"

Is this not what clubs do to stay within a clubs budget anyway?

Absolutely NOT the case, so far as has been explained previously.

Paging [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] ??

Dec 29, 2011
What's stopping Forest or any other team buying a very low level league club, buying players through them, and then loaning (or selling if that's allowed) the players to the parent club for free straight away?

D

Deleted member 22389

I think the best punishment of all would be to stop teams going up if they have broken FFP rules.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
What's stopping Forest or any other team buying a very low level league club, buying players through them, and then loaning (or selling if that's allowed) the players to the parent club for free straight away?
Pretty sure it's spectacularly against the rules.

I could be wrong (and am happy to be shown so) but I'm fairly certain feeder club agreements aren't currently permitted within the English game, and that only really involves a formal agreement around loaning players. To actively buy players through a separate club would be a whole new level.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia

The rules that prohibit ownership of more than 50% of more than one club, i think, would stop that?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Getting in the "we're doing our best guv" excuse to limit the fines and challenge the rulings of FFP.

I suspect they will introduce a "tick box" so that Club's can confirm they have observed ffp, similar to the "are you a right and proper person to own a football club" one on the equivalent form for owners.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Seems strange that he's talking about this as if its something they didn't know anything about.

I do hope that the punishments are reinforced by a rule that says you can't enter any FL division unless you have paid the fines previously levied at least one full season before entering that league. That way a team that gets promoted to the PL and subsequently relegated falls all the way to non-league status if they wait and only settle previous fines once they know they are being relegated. This rule would ensure full compliance very quickly!

Dec 29, 2011
The rules that prohibit ownership of more than 50% of more than one club, i think, would stop that?

I wasn't sure if that extended all the way down to the low levels such as sunday league. Perhaps buying an amateur Spanish side would get around this. Players would never actually have to travel there, you can just label all the paperwork as the amateur club and then immediately loan/sell the players on for free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here