Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Washington DC

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm considering visiting Washington for a holiday next year - has anyone on here been there, and if so can you advise whether it's worth going to (my primary interest would be the Smithsonian Museums) and give any suggestions for other things to do whilst there?

Ta. :smile:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Went last year and liked the city a lot. The Air & Space Museums are worth a visit if you're into that sort of stuff, but the site out near the airport is much the better of the two. Enjoyed seeing all the monuments too, though they were all busy and that bloody great obelisk (the Washington Monument I think?) is covered in cladding and no work is being done due to budget cuts. Or at least, that was the case when I went. The National Archives was interesting, too - the Declaration of Independence, the first Constitution and a copy of Magna Carta on display there, for example.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I went to Memphis last year and wished afterwards I'd booked cheap flights to other places. So look for towns a short flight away as in the US flights are like our coach services. For instance, Washington to New York is about £130. Out to Washington, hop to New York & NY to London. Not much help re Washington but just an idea.

bognor gull

Feb 1, 2012
sunny bognor
Well what a fantastic city to visit. Went there last year for a few days. If you want to see the place in 1 day, plan on a segway tour. The capitol building is probably the most iconic sight to visit. Many people see this on TV & think its the White House, speaking of which, is most disapointing because of security reasons, you can't get very close. Union Station, the biggest railway station in the USA. FBI building,not impressive but famous. Ford theatre where President Lincoln met his death. The memorials are all worth visiting & there are always queues so plan carefully. visit Georgetown, very quaint place to find in the states, home of JFK for a while. Also the smallest house in DC. I could go on all day, The Pentagon, can't get too close though, JFK museum, as is Air & Space Museum, don't forget the Zoo. Another must is the out of town Omni Shoreham Hotel, made famous by The Beatles, Margaret Thatcher, Bill Clinton, it is dated, but I can highly recommend this as a place to stay. The Bar snacks they offer are superb. Catch the Trolley Bus from just across the road & go into the city that way. It's a must visit city.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Lived there for five years. Smithsonian and the Mall, from Capitol Hill down to The Lincoln Memorial the highlights. Holocaust Museum, Air and Space Museum and the Vietnam Wall are must sees. I used to get the train up to NYC at weekends after a while because there is only so much to do and see in DC, so, as a tourist, you don't need more than a few days there I would say.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I went there many years ago and loved it. All the different museums were fascinating and worth every cent - The were all free!

Would love to get back there one day.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'm considering visiting Washington for a holiday next year - has anyone on here been there, and if so can you advise whether it's worth going to (my primary interest would be the Smithsonian Museums) and give any suggestions for other things to do whilst there?

Ta. :smile:

Cheers you reminded me of this ( for some reason)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Echo the sentaments of others but would also throw Arlington Cemetery into the equation and the Smithsonian is a great museum. First visit was back in the 80s and got to tour the Pentagon which I doubt is possible anymore also sat in the visitors gallery watching the Senate in session which although boring is fascinating at the same time.

I did find it a bit of a santitised city with no real soul but for museums and sights it is great I would not recommend straying too far out of the city centre some of the suburbs are more like 3rd world ghettos ( although as stated that was 30 odd years ago).

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Went there a few years ago and really liked it. The usual places to visit such as the Lincoln Memorial, are amazing and must-see's.

Arlington Cemetery blew me away. What a wonderful place. I know a lot of people may not be into that sort of thing, but the Vietnam Memorial and especially the Korean Memorial are beautiful and quite moving.
And if you go up the hill towards Robert E. Lee's house, you can look down on the Kennedy's graves which are quite modest and not garish at all.

I found the city to be a bit soul-less but then so are a lot of administrative cities, but there are so many interesting places to visit that I would always go again.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I'm going in December this year for the first time, so would also welcome suggestions. Frutos, I can give you the low-down after I've been.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm going in December this year for the first time, so would also welcome suggestions. Frutos, I can give you the low-down after I've been.

Much appreciated. :smile:

It's definitely looking like this is going to be a good choice - thanks to everyone for their input. :thumbsup:

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Lived there for five years. Smithsonian and the Mall, from Capitol Hill down to The Lincoln Memorial the highlights. Holocaust Museum, Air and Space Museum and the Vietnam Wall are must sees. I used to get the train up to NYC at weekends after a while because there is only so much to do and see in DC, so, as a tourist, you don't need more than a few days there I would say.

Agree with all of this. Use the trolley system to get around. Visit Arlington cemetery and see the eternal flame on Kennedy's grave, plus changing of the guard (an eery ritual which I didn't really like, all that wearing of Raybans.) but interesting to compare with ours.
Also recommend Georgetown and then definitely the Ford Theatre in the centre of the city which was where Abraham Lincoln was shot and eventually died over the road which you can also visit.
Union Station is architecturally pleasing. The downside is the poor shopping. As with all US cities is in Malls on the outskirts.
If you go, you will enjoy, a different kind of US city.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
A friend of mine is going on Sunday to visit a friend (it's her third visit in a year!) but I think pretty much everything already listed is stuff she would recommend.

One thing she would recommend is that if it is feasible its better to fly to Baltimore airport rather than Washington Dulles airport (they both serve Washington and are on either side of Washington) as the customs/security often takes about 3 hours at Washington Dulles whereas at Baltimore you can be out of the airport within an hour of landing (and with your own luggage!)

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
A very nice city, plenty to see, Baltimore not that far away is also worth visiting for a few days.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
An alternative opinion. I have been there half a dozen times on business and once or twice tagged on a few days to see stuff. The city itself is nothing special and I struggled to find anything of interest; I was very disappointed with the Smithsonian; hot and humid as hell in the summer. The only place I liked nearby was Alexandria. .

I certainly would never choose it for a vacation. There are so many better cities to visit - NYC, Boston, New Orleans (although I wouldn't recommend the summer), San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle; and if you're into stunning countryside, then head to the west.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Museum of American History on the other side of the road from the Air & Space Museum is good. Also, I found the Newseum very interesting. There used to be a sports bar at Grand Central Station that sold a whole range of slush cocktails. You can spend a wonderful sunday afternoon in there getting bladdered watching the NFL or baseball depending on time of year. Dont know if it's still there though. Loads of really good restaurants. Search out a top steak house. Walk from the Lincoln memorial to the Capitol or vice versa. Stop off a tthe Air & Space and American Hostory museums on the way. That's one day done, maybe two if you're a slow walker.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK

I've lived in Boston and visited DC. I can't begin to think why anyone would suggest the former over the latter as a place to visit, apart from maybe seeing some American sport - Fenway Park is fantastic. Otherwise, in terms of museums, DC is world-class and amazingly, in the land where very few public attractions are free, most of the big attractions there are.

The aerospace museum at the airport is a bit of a drive but so well worth it: a space shuttle, a Concorde, Enola Gay, even the model that they used to film the mother ship in Close Encounters. Basically every model plane you've ever built is there for real.

And visiting the Capitol building is made a pleasure by the sheer friendliness of all the staff, including the security people. The Library of Congress is terrific too. Great city.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Agree about Boston. I lived in Rhode Island for a time and travelled to Boston on several occasions, but never found it that fantastic in the same way that I also found Philly quite a soulless/underwhelming experience. As far as the East Coast is concerned, for me it's all about DC, NYC and the Baltimore Orioles playing at home under the floodlights with the city skyline in the background.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here