Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beheading

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah you're quite right.
Grammar is the main issue when discussing the concept of somebody having his head cut off. :jester:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

Plenty of words begin with be- but I'm struggling to think of any other examples where it implies a taking away or a separation. Mostly they imply a positive action, such as bequeath with its concept of giving to, not taking away.

I love words and find them (and their origins) fascinating, but this one has me baffled. I'm sure there must be a linguistic expert on here who can offer some clarity.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nobody said it was the main issue - crazy leap by you, Mr Stat. Just interested, that's all.
Relax, I know.
If you can't have a joke when discussing the concept of somebody having his head cut off ...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Just one of those qualms of the English language.

The origins of behead...

to decapitate, cut off the head of, guillotine;

Old English behēafdian ; from be- ‘off’ (expressing removal) + hēafod (see head).

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Just one of those qualms of the English language.

The origins of behead...

to decapitate, cut off the head of, guillotine;

Old English behēafdian ; from be- ‘off’ (expressing removal) + hēafod (see head).

That's very interesting. I can't think of any other cases where be- implies off. Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough. But thanks for that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Plenty of words begin with be- but I'm struggling to think of any other examples where it implies a taking away or a separation. Mostly they imply a positive action, such as bequeath with its concept of giving to, not taking away.

I love words and find them (and their origins) fascinating, but this one has me baffled. I'm sure there must be a linguistic expert on here who can offer some clarity.

You are right.

Maybe the idea was that you give someone their own head.

On a stick.

:sick:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Bereaved? As in having someone taken away?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here