Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Englands one day batting!!!

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
Pathetic again. Just need some batsmen that just go for their shots. A couple may fail but the others may hit plenty.My pick.
Roy, Hales, Wright, Root, Taylor, Morgan, Ali, Bresnan, Treadwell, Finn, Anderson/Jordan.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's a national disgrace. Our ODI side has been consistently useless ever since 1993 when they made the WC final. That's 21 years of continuous failure and since then we've stunk the place out at every single ODI World Cup, never having come close to a Semi Final since then, quite astoudning given there are only realistically 8 sides in competition at these tournaments.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
From the Guardian's The Spin Email

STATS OF THE WEEK
A curious statistic this. At this precise moment, two of the four batsmen with the best averages in the history of List A cricket are English, and yet neither of them was picked to play in the first three matches of this current series against India. Gary Ballance is third, with an average of 52.52 from 64 innings, and James Taylor is fourth, with 52.33 from 96. Look a little further down the same list and you find the only other eligible Englishmen – excusing Jonathan Trott and Kevin Pietersen – with career averages over 40 in the format are Varun Chopra and Ravi Bopara. England, then, are evidently blessed with such batting riches that they feel able to omit their four batsmen with the best records in limited overs cricket. Or they just don’t know what their best side is.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

STATS OF THE WEEK
A curious statistic this. At this precise moment, two of the four batsmen with the best averages in the history of List A cricket are English, and yet neither of them was picked to play in the first three matches of this current series against India. Gary Ballance is third, with an average of 52.52 from 64 innings, and James Taylor is fourth, with 52.33 from 96. Look a little further down the same list and you find the only other eligible Englishmen – excusing Jonathan Trott and Kevin Pietersen – with career averages over 40 in the format are Varun Chopra and Ravi Bopara. England, then, are evidently blessed with such batting riches that they feel able to omit their four batsmen with the best records in limited overs cricket. Or they just don’t know what their best side is.

BOOM!

Accurate though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Do we actually take ODI cricket that seriously though?

It seems to me that every 4 year World Cup cycle it's the same - we have no idea what our best team is or how we are going to play, 6 months before the tournament starts.

Compare that to the meticulous preparation for Test Match Cricket...

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

STATS OF THE WEEK

What I really couldn't get my head round was Taylor being selected for 20/20 but not ODI. I'm a big, big fan of his.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
What I really couldn't get my head round was Taylor being selected for 20/20 but not ODI. I'm a big, big fan of his.

I think the problem was, there were no List A games ahead of the ODI series v Sri Lanka so they had to stick with what they had. It's not harder for them to drop the supposedly established players.

For me Hales, Taylor and Willey (and possibly Roy) had to be called up into this series. I can't see why Bopora was dropped instead of the others either.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I don't think we really know what we're doing with the ODI team. We know what we need in the test team, we know what we need in the T20, but ODI just baffles us.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Once the selectors take their heads out of their Arse's, we may have a good side, its the same with the F.A....its an old boys club

Cook should focus on test matches, why do they need the same players for all formats? Ballence is a brilliant Test player, doesnt mean he will be a good limited overs player

what we need are fearless players who will attack the opening few overs, rattle a few cages.

instead of starting at 20/4 after 5 each match

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Once the selectors take their heads out of their Arse's, we may have a good side, its the same with the F.A....its an old boys club

Cook should focus on test matches, why do they need the same players for all formats? Ballence is a brilliant Test player, doesnt mean he will be a good limited overs player

what we need are fearless players who will attack the opening few overs, rattle a few cages.

instead of starting at 20/4 after 5 each match

Ballance averages over 50 in List A cricket. He along with Butler, Anderson and Broad (when fit) is probably the only one who should be in both teams (until Bell gets some form)

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Our team should look more like:

Hales, Roy, Balance, Taylor, Root, Buttler, Bresnan, Broad, Tredwell, Finn, Anderson

You could drop Finn for an allrounder if a longer batting line-up is required, or swap Tredwell with Moeen.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The bowling isn't looking too clever right now...

India 150-0 (25 overs)

The bowlers task becomes much harder when the batsmen fail. Anderson + Finn are no mugs with the ball, but any bowler will struggle to take wickets when the total's so woefully low.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
India 212-1 won by nine wickets with 117 balls remaining.

Abject :nono:

Disgraceful, I don't want to hear Cook giving it about how he'll fight on and we can turn it around, I just want him to reisgn and admit he's and his team are still playing cricket from the 1980's.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just seen Cook's comments. "We are pretty clear on the personnel we need" and " If people don't perform, we'll have to bring other people into the dressing room"

Aren't they contradictory? If they need to bring in other people, then they're obviously not clear on the people they need.

He's a good batsman but he'll never be a good captain. However, with his propensity to spout bollocks, he'd be a great management consultant

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here