Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you still respect the police?

Do you still have respect for the police?

• Yes

Votes: 53 55.8%
  • No

Votes: 36 37.9%
  • don't know

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
With allegations of corruption, lies, concealment and alleged instances of them not doing their job properly in recent times on high profile cases and scandals, do you still have faith and respect for the police service?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
A corrupt institution that looks after itself first. From my life experiences with the OB I haven't got much time or respect for them. That's both the Police in the UK and US.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes. There are corrupt people in all professions, but generally the rozzers will look after you.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Yes. There are corrupt people in all professions, but generally the rozzers will look after you.

This. Any time I have dealt with them they have been brilliant. I have nothing bad to say about any police officer I have come across.

Like you say, there are corrupt individuals on every organisation, however the difference is that most organisations don't have the media broadcasting about every one of these

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Generally speaking they do a fantastic job under very trying circumstances. When they do fxxk up it is usually because of some dick at the top trying to be politically correct or further their own career.

You get the odd copper acting the twit in public order situations but then you get the odd dick in a football crowd do you not?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I count coppers among my friends and a more decent bunch of dedicated pros you couldn't wish to meet.

That said. They talk of some very interesting colleagues and I knew one DS who was a proper wrong un. Same in every walk of life. Mostly decent. Some bad apples.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The police are not the only institution that look after their own. Have people forgotten how the BBC barely mentioned the Jimmy Savile accusations whilst the press and all the other TV channels were all over it? Actually the BBC is one institution I have lost all respect for, and that is one of a good few reasons.

At least with the police, they end up attempting to cover themselves for mistakes in the face of what are sometimes difficult decisions.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
We have to respect them, if we don't then we're on pretty wobbly ground when it comes to law & order. Of course there are a few wrong us, same as any walk of life but I've had a few too many reasons to be involved with the police over the last few years and while my experience wasn't always perfect, I'm fairly satisfied overall.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Yes. There is, to my knowledge, no profession/walk of life that hasn't suffered some level of corruption at point or another, the police are never going to be immune to it espdcially as it only takes a few individuals to taint an entire organisation.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I respect the police more.than I did. This had more to do with them changing more than I though. I still don't trust them fully but they have improved over the last 20 years

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
No. That's not to say I don't like actual policemen or women, but I get the feeling we are living more in a police state.

Pleb gate, Hillsborough, Stephen Lawrence, News International, Jean Charles de Menezes these are just off the top of my head

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Yes. I am a good upstanding citizen(!) so have had few dealings with the police. It's the Met in my area and on the whole they seem ok.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Its our corrupt government we should be worrying about.

I got no issue with the OB and believe corruption and cover up are quite rare, I have more concerns regarding high profile cases abroad where tourists are involved, Rape/murder in Goa or Thailand, murder inKenya, Doctors murdered in Borneo, Leeds fans in Istanbul etc etc, there's usually a very quick arrest and confession, either the police in these contries are super efficient, or some poor hobo sleeping rough has been woken up with a gun in his face

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
In general yes. However,what angers me is when police cars are chasing petty criminals at high speed through built up areas thus endangering the lives of innocent people. No respect for that.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't disagree they have a tough job to do - some are good and some not so good.

However, the system appears to be set up in order to facilitate a lack of transparancy. The IPCC is a bad joke.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here