Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do we have enough depth in the squad?

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Now that the transfer window is closed, let's look at how deep the squad is by looking at how strong how a reserve team would be if everybody was fit.

For the sake of argument, here is a possible A team
Stockdale
Bruno Greer Dunk Bennett
Holla
Gardner JFC

Texeira Colunga
Baldock

Then the B team would be

Ankergren

Calde Hughes Maksimenko* Chicksen
Ince
Crofts Stephens

March Lua Lua
CMS

* Slight cheat. Could be Rea. Or Ince and move Toko into the holding midfield position.

Not making the B team
Walton
Toko
McCourt
Agustien
O'Grady
Fenelon (loaned out).

Not a bad B team, and most of those on the bench for the B's have already got game time this year. In fact the B team midfield/attack is pretty close to the one that took us to the playoffs last year, Ulloa excepted.

So I think you have to be happy with the depth. Well done/thank you to Tony and co. I think you have delivered what you promised.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think we can only answer that question when we see how all the new players perform together over a sustained period but iylt looks solid. In fact Sami might have headaches keeping morale up across the unit looking at the amount of quality that may not make the matchday squad.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can still use the loan window if need me. Delighted we kept CMS & KLL as squad needs depth

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Now that the transfer window is closed, let's look at how deep the squad is by looking at how strong how a reserve team would be if everybody was fit.

For the sake of argument, here is a possible A team
Stockdale
Bruno Greer Dunk Bennett
Holla
Gardner JFC

Texeira Colunga
Baldock

Then the B team would be

Ankergren

Calde Hughes Maksimenko* Chicksen
Ince
Crofts Stephens

March Lua Lua
CMS

* Slight cheat. Could be Rea. Or Ince and move Toko into the holding midfield position.

Not making the B team
Walton
Toko
McCourt
Agustien
O'Grady
Fenelon (loaned out).

Not a bad B team, and most of those on the bench for the B's have already got game time this year. In fact the B team midfield/attack is pretty close to the one that took us to the playoffs last year, Ulloa excepted.

So I think you have to be happy with the depth. Well done/thank you to Tony and co. I think you have delivered what you promised.

Good post.

On the face of it the depth does look pretty good ... except for possibly one area ... centre back.

Maxi has gone.
Rea is totally unproven and therefore unready, and Ince is not the answer at centre back.
That leaves us with just three recognised centre backs, two of which are of an age where injuries will take longer to clear up.

That could be a position that leaves us with a problem if we're unlucky with injuries or loss of form.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
25 man squad should be enough. Although I would include three keepers if I was serious about promotion.

After the last season injury crisis, I would have thought we could use another winger and another stopper centre-half.

There are still quite a few good players without a contract for this season. e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Lamah

I am not suggesting we sign him, but it is still surprising that players of this apparent calibre, coming up to the peak period of his career, are without a club. He was on the bench for the League Cup final, but so was Agustien. Lamah looks just the type of player to replace Buckley.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Depth is good but the obvious issue is central defence, and we may need to be ready to get a 93 day loan in during the loan window if we get an injury there.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
A bit short in central defence. Add to that we are currently conceding too many.
There is not enough in the box presence in that squad in my view, we should not be relying on Dunk for that.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
do not believe that Calderon Rea or Ince having to be considered as 4th choice centre back
will have any strong bearing on our league position this year.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
With Greer and Dunk in good form and locking up the CB positions the club were never going to spend money on a back up.

Reckon they might get some cheaper cover there during the loan window

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here