Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some thoughts on the Charlton match

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Like most of us, I was much happier than against Sheff Wed - there was entertainment and clear signs of progress. Holla impressed with his slide tackling determination to break up the opposing attacks, not that there were that many, Colunga looked skilful as did Tex, though his attempted trickery at times in the second half did result in the ball being lost. However, Tex looks classy and will doubtless be an asset. Lewis Dunk goes from strength to strength and it was gratifying to see him score such good goals. There is clear competition for places and this can only be a healthy state of affairs. I admire Stockdale's honesty in holding his hands up to a goal that he considers to be his fault - often keepers rant at the defence to cover up their own failings - but this is now the second time and I wonder how many more there might be -far be it for me to comment on his ability but I did feel that with Charlton's first goal, PiG would perhaps have saved it - hard to tell, I know.
The two break-away goals were disappointing not the least because WE do not seem to be able to attack with quite such speed, though that has improved this year. Charlton were very well organised, to be fair, and it was hard to break them down but the same old problem is still there -the opposition score, then mass the defence and despite lots of impressive passing up to the box, we cannot find a way through with that final ball and on the rare times that we do, chances are missed. This has been the scenario for several seasons and the opposition are well aware of this. Albion were clearly better than Charlton and this is a good sign, but it was intensely frustrating to go away with only a draw. Would a big bustling striker be the answer? I don't know as I cannot really comment on tactics, as I am not sufficiently aware of all the intricacies, but it did seem significant that there many crosses and a defender scores twice. If we send KLL on as a saviour to cross the ball, and our strikers, however skilful, are not that tall, then we are presumably going to have to rely on Dunk and Greer to get forward a great deal.
I have tried to be both positive and realistic -will be interesting to se how others have reacted to Saturday's game.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Good read and agree on many of your points. Sami to convert Dunk to a striker and play him up front with CMS? :)

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Pretty fair summary IMO. We are work in progress whereas Charlton showed benefit of being better organised; the difference is that they are unlikely to get any better and if Vetekole gets injured/loses form could struggle for goals. Whereas we showed the class you mention and with more time to get organised. The other benefit we have is strength in depth; becomes more important as injuries/suspensions/loss of form come into play.

Stockdale has been covered elsewhere - let him off this time but not too many repeats please.

Other teams are getting a very good strike rate from their chances, this is a combination of luck, a worldly effort from Coke in first game, and some naivete on our behalf. At least now we can feel reasonanbly confident that going behind is not quite the disaster it was in last two seasons.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Like most of us, I was much happier than against Sheff Wed - there was entertainment and clear signs of progress. Holla impressed with his slide tackling determination to break up the opposing attacks, not that there were that many, Colunga looked skilful as did Tex, though his attempted trickery at times in the second half did result in the ball being lost. However, Tex looks classy and will doubtless be an asset. Lewis Dunk goes from strength to strength and it was gratifying to see him score such good goals. There is clear competition for places and this can only be a healthy state of affairs. I admire Stockdale's honesty in holding his hands up to a goal that he considers to be his fault - often keepers rant at the defence to cover up their own failings - but this is now the second time and I wonder how many more there might be -far be it for me to comment on his ability but I did feel that with Charlton's first goal, PiG would perhaps have saved it - hard to tell, I know.
The two break-away goals were disappointing not the least because WE do not seem to be able to attack with quite such speed, though that has improved this year. Charlton were very well organised, to be fair, and it was hard to break them down but the same old problem is still there -the opposition score, then mass the defence and despite lots of impressive passing up to the box, we cannot find a way through with that final ball and on the rare times that we do, chances are missed. This has been the scenario for several seasons and the opposition are well aware of this. Albion were clearly better than Charlton and this is a good sign, but it was intensely frustrating to go away with only a draw. Would a big bustling striker be the answer? I don't know as I cannot really comment on tactics, as I am not sufficiently aware of all the intricacies, but it did seem significant that there many crosses and a defender scores twice. If we send KLL on as a saviour to cross the ball, and our strikers, however skilful, are not that tall, then we are presumably going to have to rely on Dunk and Greer to get forward a great deal.
I have tried to be both positive and realistic -will be interesting to se how others have reacted to Saturday's game.

Wouldn't disagree with most, if any, of what you say.

Just very encouraged given how long (i.e. a few days!) most of the class players you mention have been with us, how little comparatively they will have played together, and the fact that even for the old hands we are playing differently. I can't help feeling that one day soon it will all come together and someone is going to get a right tonking.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Other teams are getting a very good strike rate from their chances, this is a combination of luck, a worldly effort from Coke in first game, and some naivete on our behalf. At least now we can feel reasonanbly confident that going behind is not quite the disaster it was in last two seasons.

Yes, it is certainly a statistical anomaly that every shot on target from an opposition team at the Amex in the league this season has gone in, that won't continue!

But I think that second point, that going behind isn't a disaster, is way more important. People have been complaining about the atmosphere at the Amex for the last couple of seasons and I think to a large extent that is because we, the fans, had lost a little bit of belief that the Albion could compete from a losing position. Early indications are that that is changing.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think we played as well as I can remember in the Falmer days for spells of the first half. Desperately unlucky to go in a goal behind, but a careless piece of defending and a failure to take any of some good chances created meant we had to chase the game second half where we looked increasing desperate. We didn't pass the ball as well second half and allowed Charlton back into the game.

I still think we need a top notch striker whether we get one is another matter. A lot of the moves broke down in the final third as CMS had neither the physical presence or the first touch to keep the ball in and around the box and enable our flair players to get into more advanced positions. CMS is not a bad player but he needs to play in a side who get the ball forward early and into channels and that is just not us. We will be a handful for anyone at home with this squad but unless we get a focal point and some genuine competition for places at the back I think we will finish just outside the play offs.

I'd like to see us bring in a forward and another CD but with FFP that may not be possible unless they can move some others out...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I want to see Toko play as a DM with Holla slightly more advanced. We need to stop the breakaway goals that Charlton scored, and I think Toko might be the best at doing this. It seems that Hyypia is not that impressed with him. I don't think we'll get another striker in, or a centre back.

I want to see Toko play as a DM with Holla slightly more advanced. We need to stop the breakaway goals that Charlton scored, and I think Toko might be the best at doing this. It seems that Hyypia is not that impressed with him. I don't think we'll get another striker in, or a centre back.

LOL I think this is about as much criticism of Holla that the broad mass of NSC opinion is allowing at the moment.

I am hoping our Dutchman will gain more fitness as the weeks progress, classy on the ball yes but not quite the wrecking ball presence of Bridders or even Ince at the moment.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Charlton had one outstanding player ( one of the best I have seen at this level ) in Igor Vetokele. He made the difference.
If he was upfront for us, we would be a better side. The man just oozes class.
How the hell did Charlton get hold of him?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think we played as well as I can remember in the Falmer days for spells of the first half. Desperately unlucky to go in a goal behind, but a careless piece of defending and a failure to take any of some good chances created meant we had to chase the game second half where we looked increasing desperate. We didn't pass the ball as well second half and allowed Charlton back into the game.

I still think we need a top notch striker whether we get one is another matter. A lot of the moves broke down in the final third as CMS had neither the physical presence or the first touch to keep the ball in and around the box and enable our flair players to get into more advanced positions. CMS is not a bad player but he needs to play in a side who get the ball forward early and into channels and that is just not us. We will be a handful for anyone at home with this squad but unless we get a focal point and some genuine competition for places at the back I think we will finish just outside the play offs.

I'd like to see us bring in a forward and another CD but with FFP that may not be possible unless they can move some others out...

CMS definitely has a style of play that suits him. Personally I really like him, I think he works hard and will score goals for us if we play to his strengths. One thing I would say which I noted when we signed him, is that when playing/scoring for Peterborough they played on one of the smallest pitches in the football league and played a fast counter attacking football where CMS could sit on the defenders shoulder and reap the benefits of quick direct balls forward. In contrast the Albion play on one of the largest pitches in the football league and our style over recent years is to keep possession and build up play. It's still too early to tell as the side is still coming together, but I've got high hopes that we see more from CMS this season. I have a feeling that if he scores a couple on the trott then things might start flowing for him.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Charlton had one outstanding player ( one of the best I have seen at this level ) in Igor Vetokele. He made the difference.
If he was upfront for us, we would be a better side. The man just oozes class.
How the hell did Charlton get hold of him?

Agree with all this.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
We all know that teams that come down here and score first are going to "park the bus". It's something we're well used to by now.

So the moral is, just make sure we score first!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here