Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great article in today's Independent - discuss - agree or disagree?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Football in a strange way will be a shinning beacon for the masses into just how the world really works,in a way what is happening in football now has, is and will awaken people to the truth,that there is more than enough to go around,the financial wizard's that control the dice have inadvertently allowed the prospect of a bleaker future for themselves,for now..

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
As intimate and familiar as the mossy old terraces used to be, I don't believe we were any closer to our clubs. It's romantic to think so, but perhaps not real. I prefer things as they are now, I just wish that the playing field was more level, and competition more open.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
As intimate and familiar as the mossy old terraces used to be, I don't believe we were any closer to our clubs. It's romantic to think so, but perhaps not real. I prefer things as they are now, I just wish that the playing field was more level, and competition more open.

The fact is though,that it was more of a game and less of a business the further back in time you travel.

We at the Albion have all of a sudden realised what modern football is all about and we are having all to adjust to how we see and deal with it,we had Gillingham and then Withdean for 14 years and in those 14 years all we ever saw of the big changes was away days and mostly at a lower level so were in effect isolated from the reality of what was really going on.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
The fact is though,that it was more of a game and less of a business the further back in time you travel.

We at the Albion have all of a sudden realised what modern football is all about and we are having all to adjust to how we see and deal with it,we had Gillingham and then Withdean for 14 years and in those 14 years all we ever saw of the big changes was away days and mostly at a lower level so were in effect isolated from the reality of what was really going on.

I do agree, but I want to add that if the administration of the game meant that the advantage of financial might was in some way eroded, football would become...football.. again.

I'll be very happy to see the back of this transfer window.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I do agree, but I want to add that if the administration of the game meant that the advantage of financial might was in some way eroded, football would become...football.. again.

I'll be very happy to see the back of this transfer window.

Perhaps keep this window and do away with January,but it's an interesting piece the OP has highlighted to,it does make me wonder how the game will be in say 10 years from now..

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The fans were royally crapped on during the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s as the Goldstone declined and fell. The replacement regime under Knight was more forthcoming and fan friendly, although I suspect that the current regime is way more corporate and customer orientated, and fan friendly only insofar as it can take your £.

The days of the club being an integral part of the community disappeared with the maximum wage.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
In the 25 years following the war, 12 teams won the First Division. The FA Cup, strongly contested, had 17. How special would such outcomes be now in the transformation of our game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Too many modern grounds have been transformed into Disneyland for dullards".

This is spot on and the best piece of writing in the piece and it's sad and frustrating. We're not talking about reintroducing piss stinking toilets that are just brick walls and mandatory fighting and death by crushing. We're talking about making the game affordable for the most passionate fans, the working classes, the young, people who need a community and identity, people who want to see an England team that actually tries, on a Saturday afternoon with their kids, feeling proud.

I'd love to see this work. Sadly another 500 parasites would pop up to replace the ones being boycotted. We live in a modern, corporate, global world. You greedy *******s made it this way.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

This is spot on and the best piece of writing in the piece and it's sad and frustrating. We're not talking about reintroducing piss stinking toilets that are just brick walls and mandatory fighting and death by crushing. We're talking about making the game affordable for the most passionate fans, the working classes, the young, people who need a community and identity, people who want to see an England team that actually tries, on a Saturday afternoon with their kids, feeling proud.

I'd love to see this work. Sadly another 500 parasites would pop up to replace the ones being boycotted. We live in a modern, corporate, global world. You greedy *******s made it this way.

Enjoyed today's piece, by the way.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sunday trading,i blame those that called for and introduced it..it changed everything.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Good article good spot.
Did anyone see our police liason officers quote in the sun last week on how footballs getting sanitised?
" if you wouldn't do it in the office you shouldnt do it at football".
I assume that those of us who work on the building sites or not in offices are not what the old bill want and all of those that work in offices do nowt wrong wake up Darren.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good article good spot.
Did anyone see our police liason officers quote in the sun last week on how footballs getting sanitised?
I assume that those of us who work on the building sites or not in offices are not what the old bill want and all of those that work in offices do nowt wrong wake up Darren.

REALLY?

Because I work in an office. And my daily routine consists of this:

9am. Walk up stairs to office as there's no lift. Cough a lot. Buy a pie and a pint of beer to recover. Down the pint.

9.15. Watch Burnley v Man U while my kid plays his own version using a water bottle and a bench.

10.00 Walk slowly to desk shaking hands every two banks. Fart.

11.00 Dance to 'Put Your Hands Up For Detroit' changing the last word to Brighton. Cough again. Pretend to read memo and blow off conference call as 'I just can't get any reception'

11.34 Receive email saying you've landed the biggest new contract in company history. Jump up at desk, fist pumping and shouting 'f-ing come on!' Walk up to the Accounts Manager who doubted you'd land the deal and yell "you don't know what you're doing!"

12:15 Leave early to 'avoid the rush'. Write publicly about it, boasting about your cleverness.

Football and offices. They're virtually synonymous.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

"Disneyland for Dullards", that was Fulham until this season. Of course the government loves all this. Globalisation in harmony..

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Good article good spot.

Do you think you are maybe being hyper-sensitive?!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
How do you feel this affected football ?

It was a NSC throw away comment,worth a laugh to me anyway,but in all seriousness life changed when we could all shop on sundays.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
REALLY?

Because I work in an office. And my daily routine consists of this:

9am. Walk up stairs to office as there's no lift. Cough a lot. Buy a pie and a pint of beer to recover. Down the pint.

9.15. Watch Burnley v Man U while my kid plays his own version using a water bottle and a bench.

10.00 Walk slowly to desk shaking hands every two banks. Fart.

11.00 Dance to 'Put Your Hands Up For Detroit' changing the last word to Brighton. Cough again. Pretend to read memo and blow off conference call as 'I just can't get any reception'

11.34 Receive email saying you've landed the biggest new contract in company history. Jump up at desk, fist pumping and shouting 'f-ing come on!' Walk up to the Accounts Manager who doubted you'd land the deal and yell "you don't know what you're doing!"

12:15 Leave early to 'avoid the rush'. Write publicly about it, boasting about your cleverness.

Football and offices. They're virtually synonymous.

You might want to add that you spend hours in discussion with your colleagues hoping that the sexy blonde in Marketing will choose your department rather than go to Accounts. Sure, Accounts pay more, but your office is the place to be.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here