Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Very early but 13th Place

31/8/14 Home this season W1 D1 L1 GF4 GA3
31/8/13 Home last season W1 D1 L1 GF4 GA4

31/8/14 Away this season W1 D0 L1 GF2 GA1
31/8/13 Away last season W1 D0 L1 GF2 GA2

So questions now.....do we have a better team this season?
will we climb the league before xmas?
maybe a late run after xmas when we strengthen in the next window?
are the playoffs realistic?
Could we make an automatic position?
Are we now too optimistic about our squad?

I think we played some really nice football yesterday but there were a lot of misplaced passes and we look vulnerable in defence especially keeper wise.
A few teams have already shown their intent this season and there are some already very strong teams and more than usual teams playing way above their form last season.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
This time last season we were trusting that it would come together. I think it's already coming together this season, I expect the points to keep coming the way we are playing, don't think I was quite as optimistic this time last season tbh.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Crap December though usually, isn't it! Falling spectacularly apart at Christmas. Remembering that we don't fare well in cold wet, Tuesday night fixtures.

Isn't the difference that we started badly, but now we've got our team in place we've not lost a game....

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Isn't the difference that we started badly, but now we've got our team in place we've not lost a game....

That's how I see it too. I would be disappointed (and surprised, frankly) if our results were not better than both of the last two seasons over Sept and Oct. Who knows whether our league position would similarly be better, since that depends on other teams' performances too.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Last season we started with two defeats before two wins in a row followed by a draw against a London side at the Amex through a last minute equaliser. Sounds quite familiar!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Very early but 13th Place

31/8/14 Home this season W1 D1 L1 GF4 GA3
31/8/13 Home last season W1 D1 L1 GF4 GA4

31/8/14 Away this season W1 D0 L1 GF2 GA1
31/8/13 Away last season W1 D0 L1 GF2 GA2

So questions now.....do we have a better team this season?
will we climb the league before xmas?
maybe a late run after xmas when we strengthen in the next window?
are the playoffs realistic?
Could we make an automatic position?
Are we now too optimistic about our squad?

I think we played some really nice football yesterday but there were a lot of misplaced passes and we look vulnerable in defence especially keeper wise.
A few teams have already shown their intent this season and there are some already very strong teams and more than usual teams playing way above their form last season.

We are gonna win the League Cup this season !

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Goal difference is +2 better off though
We have made it through x 2 rounds of the carling cup and the 2 defeats were before the influx of signings.
So Yes
Yes
No as i don t see us splashing the cash in January
Yes
No
Not sure. Potential of this group of players in my eyes is maybe the beat we have had over the past 3 seasons but they will need time.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The signs are positive that we have done the right thing in disbanding the core of a very strong side which had nevertheless failed twice at the final hurdle. The new set up is positive - we will concede more goals but we will score more too. The football is infinitely more enjoyable already than under either of our previous two managers.
I think we will be there or thereabouts this season with the potential to build on a good platform next year.
Reservations around the lack of height up front but if we commit to a ground game we will get better at timing the final pass and runs through onto the ball.
I don't think we are better than last season in terms of potential to get results (specifically to grind out results when it isn't going for us) but I do think we are a better side to watch.
I don't think we have found a natural goalscorer unless we specifically and very purposefully play to Baldock's strengths. Look at the likes of Rhodes,Vetokele, Deeney.......... What we do have however is the potential to score from anywhere which gives Sammi the problem of realising the potential and perhaps learning to not over complicate plays.
I can see some exits coming and think we are still a couple of players away from really challenging.
Will we spend big money in January? Wouldn't surprise me if we are on the fringes as I fully expect us to be.
Are we expecting too much? I think we will be somewhere between 4th and 8th but will need a good late run after a roller coaster ride.
Overall I am just happy to be watching a brand of football that I can enjoy

Played some great footie yesterday, however, without a decent centre forward we are going to struggle.
Their goal keeper, hardly had to make a save all game & we just don't get enough players into the oppositions penalty box when on the offensive. Our league position seems about right. Will be interesting to see how we fair in our next two matches away.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Played some great footie yesterday, however, without a decent centre forward we are going to struggle.
Their goal keeper, hardly had to make a save all game & we just don't get enough players into the oppositions penalty box when on the offensive. Our league position seems about right. Will be interesting to see how we fair in our next two matches away.

Yes my thoughts exactly - until Lua Lua came on we had nothing from the left and whilst the play was far more entertaining than last season we still had most of our possession in the middle nowhere near the goal and after 5 passes gave it away. I think I got to Oct 25th (rotherham) 8 games time when we will know if we have progressed.

I really enjoyed yesterdays game and credit to Charlton who only ventured forwards when they felt safe to do so, you could see why they are unbeaten so far. I'm a bit surprised how the tide has turned against our long serving players though and whilst some of the flak is justified there does seem to be two teams out there to some people- the ones in mainly rose/purple tinted boots and the others in yellow and white.

The reality check is that we have only signed/loaned the new players 1-2 3 games ago and its easy to get excited about debuts and debut goals but that has to continue to be progression.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We need to get ourselves in the play-offs ASAP which is achievable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here