Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could Man Utd end up with a mid table finish or even in a relegation battle?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Could it happen? Would the club let it happen?

Who thought even two years ago that fans would be satisfied taking a point, in a 0-0 against Burnley ffs. That after a 4-0 defeat & mid week exit in their first game of the Capital One Cup against MK Dons.

D

Deleted member 18477

They finished mid table last year. So yes it could happen. They won't be in a relegation battle though.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
They won't (sadly) be this bad all season. Van Gaal is instituting a whole new system which will take them time to adjust to and which needs new players to make work. Signing Daley Blind is a big step forward for them because he'll fill the wing-back position which they don't really have anyone to fill at the moment.

I'd love to see them struggle but I think they'll be in the top four by the end of the season.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing

Who thought even two years ago that fans would be satisfied taking a point, in a 0-0 against Burnley ffs. That after a 4-0 defeat & mid week exit in their first game of the Capital One Cup against MK Dons.

no.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
He's rebuilding the whole team. it won't happen overnight, it will take time

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Couldn't help but think ManU looked like an Oscar Garcia side today. A dozen passes to reach the halfway line, then no idea what to do with the ball when they finally got there. Shocking.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
The thing I think is hilarious about Man United situation - they spunk £60m on a marketing ploy (Di Maria) to sell more shirts, than spend it on rebuilding the area that needs it most - their defence. All in all, don't give a flying monk about them

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Loved the fact a Burnley fan phoned in a talk show after the game, complaining that they should be beating the teams around them in the table!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'm sure they'll stay up...

Seriously though, it's what others have already said. A different system requires time for new and current players to adapt to it. The players that can't will be released / sold.

That said, it'll probably take at least another transfer window to sort out as this one's just about to slam shut.

(Incidentally, do transfer windows ever close quietly? There always seems to be considerable noise involved.)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They won't (sadly) be this bad all season. Van Gaal is instituting a whole new system which will take them time to adjust to and which needs new players to make work. Signing Daley Blind is a big step forward for them because he'll fill the wing-back position which they don't really have anyone to fill at the moment.

I'd love to see them struggle but I think they'll be in the top four by the end of the season.

Gave you a thumbs down due to your pessimistic view by believing they will be top 4, we live and hope they fail.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I said at the end of last season, this is their most important season for decades, they get this wrong they are toast, and no way back. They can't sign the players they really need already, Hummells didn't want to know, and Kroos wouldn't sign for them, cos they aren't in the Champions league. They need at least two more centre backs, another wingback, and their midfield needs defensive cover. Rooney is awful at the moment,and has been for a while, RVP isn't the player he was the season before last either.
I can only see a lot of pain for the mancs over the next few years, and I for one am going to sit back and enjoy it.

And the bookies are still giving great odds on anyone they play, lve had £ 20 today, 15 quid against Sunderland,an 35 against Swansea, missed out on MK franchise though

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
they were midtable last season

a burnley player tweeted after the game today "disappointed. we should be beating teams around us in the table" Lol!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As I was rambling along the South Downs Way today, I was chatting about this as my walking companion is interested in top flight football, without having a team of his own.

They need to sign 5 or 6 'world class' players at the very least. How much would that cost? £200m?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I said at the end of last season, this is their most important season for decades, they get this wrong they are toast, and no way back. They can't sign the players they really need already, Hummells didn't want to know, and Kroos wouldn't sign for them, cos they aren't in the Champions league. They need at least two more centre backs, another wingback, and their midfield needs defensive cover. Rooney is awful at the moment,and has been for a while, RVP isn't the player he was the season before last either.
I can only see a lot of pain for the mancs over the next few years, and I for one am going to sit back and enjoy it.

And the bookies are still giving great odds on anyone they play, lve had £ 20 today, 15 quid against Sunderland,an 35 against Swansea, missed out on MK franchise though

I agree with this, no club is to big not to go down. The Glaziers take over im betting was to a large part debt financed, it could be a shit or bust gamble this season. Feurgason let the team age in a way Brian Clough did at Forest and they did to little to late, without Europe the big cheques will dry up sooner rather than later imo.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
It was the most entertaining thing about the Premier League last year...and it's certainly started the same way again. They can change managers as many times as they like....fact is that they still have the same team, the lack of depth at the back, a team that don't play together, and individually a lot of poor performances.

There is so much pressure on them every game. For United, anything less than a win is a bad result...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Blind has signed to play in central midfield, he didn't want to sign if he was going to be in defence.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
lack of depth at the back? massive understatment, they have a couple of squad CBs, a couple of half decent full backs and a defensive midfielder masquerading as a CB. recall in Fergie's last season how they had Carrick filling in there? its like they have squad players there and forgot the first team needed to be contenders for top of the league. unbelievable they have replaced Vidic.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

I don't know, maybe go find a Man U forum and ask them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here