Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do teenagers think of Britpop?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
NME-Blur-x-Oasis.jpg

The mid-1990s was my era for getting into music in a big way. Strange to think that it was twenty years ago. As a teenager then, punk and new wave in the 1970s seemed like a lifetime before.

Does anyone know how current teenagers view the Britpop era? Is it considered a golden age where 'we all' went to Knebworth to watch Oasis, where 'we all' were having street battles over whether 'Roll With It' was a better song than Blur's 'Country House'? Or it is a mere footnote in history? And, from a current teen perspective, how well known are the other bands, such as Pulp, Garbage, Kula Shaker, Ocean Colour Scene, Elastica, Cast and Bluetones?

Hopefully, some of you with teenage kids (or are teenagers now) can enlighten me... :)

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Oasis still get played on my local indie/rock/alternative radio station. The classics from Definitely Maybe and (What's the Story) Morning Glory have stood the test of time.

As I've got older and my knowledge of the indie scene has waned through family life and work. I find myself revisiting Blur's contribution to this era of popular culture and enjoying it more so than when I was a teenager. I was truly in the Oasis camp.

Everybody loves the music from their teenage years. One reason being it's the first time you have control over anything in your life - the ability to spend money thinking you have made a informed decision. In hindsight you haven't really you've just been sold a product from a corporate music suit. It was interesting to watch the Live Forever documentary a few years back and seeing Damon Albarn's reaction to what he thought of the Brit Pop movement. I've don't think I've ever seen a man so uncomfortable - obviously in hindsight he regrets getting involved in the whole Blur V Oasis showdown but I am sure the $$$ eases the pain.

For me, I look back with a huge degree of nostalgia thinking of the time between 93-97. Enjoying Brit Pop and Euro'96. Discovering birds and booze. Amazing, carefree times.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mostly utter bollocks. A few good bands. AWFUL fashion.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It's far, far from 'all that'. Most teenagers today could tell you the big oasis hits, couldn't identify anything by blur or name any brotpop bands beyond that

and with good reason frankly.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Me personally, I only like Oasis from that era. Some Blur songs are alright, but Oasis are one of my favourite bands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here