Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] FIVE A SIDE: ALBION & CHARLTON

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011

A five-a-side team comprised of legendary Brighton & Hove Albion and Charltom Athletic players over the years.Jeff Wood (Goalkeeper)
In Albion’s heart-stopping 4-3 defeat at The Valley in October 1977, Wood faced an Albion penalty three times, as the referee ordered it to be retaken.
Brian Horton’s two efforts were saved and missed, but Wood was judged to have moved early for each one.
The third attempt was successfully converted by Peter Ward and in 1997, Jeff Wood became Brian Horton’s assistant manager at the Albion.
Steve Gatting (Defender)
According to The Sun in 1981/82, Vera Gatting thought that son Steve would have made his breakthrough in cricket, and that his brother Mike would have been more suited to football.
As she explained: “It’s just that Mike was always the aggressive one and still is, for that matter. I thought football would give him the chance to use that aggression.
"Stephen was quieter and more suited to cricket. Don Bennett, the Middlesex coach, once told Steve that if he ever gave up football he would be welcomed with open arms at Lords.”
Steve Jacobs (Midfielder)
Jacobs made just one appearance for Athletic after leaving Brighton at the end of 1985/86.
At the start of his last season with the Seagulls, this tough tackler helped the side win the never-to-be-heard-of-again Oxfordshire Benevolent Cup, despite being sent off for scuffling with John Aldridge! No benevolence there.

[h=2]LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK[/h]

Mike Bailey (Midfielder)On being appointed Albion boss in the summer of 1981, after a successful spell with Charlton, Bailey declared to Shoot! Magazine: “I think Brighton have done tremendously well in the last five years. For any club to stay
in the First Division after being promoted for the first time shows they must be learning what life is all about among the elite.
"It’s difficult to say what tactics I’ll use until I’ve seen the team play. At the moment I don’t know what their strengths and weaknesses are. I was certainly an attacking player and enjoy that sort of game, which is why we’ll adopt that sort of policy if possible.”
This was not the type of game he is remembered for by many Seagulls supporters, despite the successful 1981/82 season.
Garry Nelson (Striker)
Hot-shot Nelson famously hit 32 goals for Albion during the celebrated season of 1987/88, which led to promotion back the Second Division for Barry Lloyd’s side.
Garry went on to join Charlton at the end of the 1990/91 season, hitting 37 goals in five years with the Addicks.
Alan Mullery (Manager)
He famously guided Brighton from the Third Division to the First Division, but did you know that Albion’s club ambassador almost led a cash-strapped Charlton to the top flight in 1981/82?
With Derek Hales and Paul Walsh up-front, things were looking good. As Alan wrote in his autobiography in 1985: “After an inconsistent start to the season we hit a purple patch around Christmas and in fifteen matches
from 28th December we lost only once, moving to an incredible sixth place in the Second Division.”
Sadly, a poor run towards the end of the campaign led to a 13th place finish. Still, those two promotions with the Albion will live long in the memory.
[h=2]UPCOMING HOME FIXTURES[/h][h=3]ALBION V CHARLTON
[/h]saturday 30TH AUGUST, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V BLACKPOOL
[/h]SATURDAY 20th september, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]Albion v Cardiff
[/h]tuesDAY 30TH september, kick-off 7.45pm

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here