Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Painting ceilings - tips please

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Right, I wasn't going to bother, as they're not that bad, but I figure I ought to do it now whilst we have no furniture and before we get new carpet or I'll end up leaving it for 30 years. Any recommendations on paint or other tips?

I've already made the first mistake by painting the walls first. Sadly they're artex ceilings too.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
use a roller. don't put too much paint on it. be prepared to do it twice.

Gosh that was one of my first, if not the first, thread I started on NSC. But that's enough reminiscing. I am sure that the consensus was "get someone in to do it"!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
no furniture ?? Re ceiling.....pay someone....

Another this. I hate painting ceilings and ours only get done if it's absolutely necessary. If you really must do them yourself then a roller with an extending poll and the best quality paint you can afford ( Dulux or Crown as an absolute minimum ).

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
For ceilings I always found standing upside down helps for a couple of days. It's then like painting
the floor. The only trouble is if you have to paint the floor it's then like painting the ceiling as if you
hadn't stood upside down in the first place.

Personally - I would get someone in to do it.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Buy an extension pole to use with the roller.
Albany Paint from Brewers the best.
2 coats for best finish.
Do the edges first...

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
if you are doing it yourself i found the pink paint that dries white really useful!

That does sound useful! What's it called?

I thought this had been discontinued but it was a Dulux product. It'll drive you mad on artex though - you'll see all the small bits the roller has failed to get to. If I were you I'd just use normal good quality paint and do it by look - you have a cats in hell chance of getting every nook and cranny.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I thought this had been discontinued but it was a Dulux product. It'll drive you mad on artex though - you'll see all the small bits the roller has failed to get to. If I were you I'd just use normal good quality paint and do it by look - you have a cats in hell chance of getting every nook and cranny.

I was going to get Dulux "once" which I've used on the walls and has worked a treat (wish I'd bought this for the other room). Presumably there is a downside to one coat paint though?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
I was going to get Dulux "once" which I've used on the walls and has worked a treat (wish I'd bought this for the other room). Presumably there is a downside to one coat paint though?

I'm sure a professional will tell you it's not the proper way to do it but Once has always worked well for me. On artex you'll need Twice or maybe even Thrice !!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes, we've moved from a 1-bed flat to a house, using one bedroom whilst painting the other then swapping over before furnishing it.

Don't think we can afford to pay anyone!

I don't know what you do for a living, but the chances are that in the time it takes you to do an acceptable job, you could earn what it'd cost to pay a half decent painter/decorator to do a good job.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Right, I wasn't going to bother, as they're not that bad, but I figure I ought to do it now whilst we have no furniture and before we get new carpet or I'll end up leaving it for 30 years. Any recommendations on paint or other tips?

I've already made the first mistake by painting the walls first. Sadly they're artex ceilings too.

tip is get me to do it:cool:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Deffo in b&q newhaven 2 weeks ago when I got some

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Remember the saying, if you can piss you can paint! No need to pay someone.

Roller with extension - use decent paint (I use Albany) so it doesn't splatter - do it systematically so you know what you've done

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here