Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The UK's terror threat level is being raised from "substantial" to "severe"

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The UK's terror threat level is being raised from "substantial" to "severe"

"TERROR THREAT LEVEL:

Prime Minister David Cameron to make statement from Downing Street shortly,

The new alert level means an attack on the UK is "highly likely", although Mrs May said there was no intelligence to suggest an attack was "imminent".

It is the second highest of five possible UK threat levels.

It comes amid concern about hundreds of UK nationals who are thought to have travelled abroad to fight.

AC Rowley said: "From this afternoon we will begin to increase our levels of visible patrols and implement other security and protection measures.

The terror threat level has been made public since 2006 and has twice been raised to "critical" - in August 2006 after police uncovered a plot to blow up passenger planes, and in June 2007 after an attack at Glasgow Airport.

The level last changed in July 2011 when it was reduced to "substantial".

Live reaction here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28987175

In relation to my Rivers of Blood thread, this is very worrying news

Last edited:

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Forget rules of engagement the military have to use, the *******s should be shot on sight.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Why is our terror threat level going up when terrorists are leaving the country?

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Extra security checks to get into Dicks on Saturday...... We are doomed.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Why is our terror threat level going up when terrorists are leaving the country?

There is reports that over 250 of these Isis have returned to English soil to cause mass destruction.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Thing is, it's not been below "substantial" (and barely been even that) since these levels were introduced in 2006. And yet there's been no attack in that time (perhaps a couple picked up in the early stages). If they want this to mean anything to the public, then they need to actually use the "moderate" and "low" levels as well!

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Brings back memories of the alerts in n.ireland some days changing 5 or 6 times. Don't think it will be long until we start to see some military types on the streets.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There's definitely something brewing in my opinion. I'm off to centre of London tomorrow to see a Prom, will be interesting to see if there is a higher police presence. All a bit worrying.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Believe it or not, this probably happened because a Tory defected to UKIP.

Not even kidding.

Homeland-Security-Terror-Threat-Level_o_8291.jpg

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
There is reports that over 250 of these Isis have returned to English soil to cause mass destruction.

Do you have a link/source for this? Thanks.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The heightening of "terror threat levels" always bring me back to this quote...

"Reports that say there's...that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things that we know that we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thing is, it's not been below "substantial" (and barely been even that) since these levels were introduced in 2006. And yet there's been no attack in that time (perhaps a couple picked up in the early stages). If they want this to mean anything to the public, then they need to actually use the "moderate" and "low" levels as well!

Strictly speaking the alert level is nothing to do with the public. Moving it up or down triggers different activity by the authorities. Most of these activities won't even be noticed by the public. I suspect the publication of the alert level is more about trying to make the public think the government are in control then informing the public of anything useful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here