Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christian parents caught disowning and beating their son

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Haven't looked at it. Would you also publicise when an atheist behaves similarly? There are bad people of ALL persuasions.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Original story

i would have thought these Christians would have known better than to be violent towards their offspring.

I think you make a judgement without knowing the full story, I would question what he hoped to achieve by secretly filming whilst perhaps cleverly antagonising and provoking his relatives, and then putting on youtube or facebook etc, but it would appear he succeeds with you.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
"You go by all the scientific stuff you want to, I'm going by the word of God". Incredibly ignorant woman but sadly far from alone in her beliefs.

Total respect for that lad for standing up to those religious bigots.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree but I think the point is that this young guy's parents disown and beat him because of their views on homosexuality- views they have taken from the Bible.
Christians do wrong stuff too. I am a Christian and I fail very often. It is difficult if people take all the bible literally which appears to be the case here. I prefer to think of 'love one another' and 'do unto others as you'd have done to yourself.' For what it's worth, most Christians would not support that kind of behaviour. And if one of my sons turned out to be homosexual, my beliefs may not coincide with his, but I would never hurt or disown him.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I think you make a judgement without knowing the full story, I would question what he hoped to achieve by secretly filming whilst perhaps cleverly antagonising and provoking his relatives, and then putting on youtube or facebook etc, but it would appear he succeeds with you.

So its fine for his parents to disown their son for being gay, but he is at fault for showing them up for what they are?

Am guessing if Youtube was around when priests were caught on camera kiddy fiddling that your equivalents then would have sought to deflect from the message the video was conveying.

Glad he posted it as you never know, it might just cause one or two other religious homophobes to question their beliefs over the love of their kids.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Christians do wrong stuff too. I am a Christian and I fail very often. It is difficult if people take all the bible literally which appears to be the case here. I prefer to think of 'love one another' and 'do unto others as you'd have done to yourself.' For what it's worth, most Christians would not support that kind of behaviour. And if one of my sons turned out to be homosexual, my beliefs may not coincide with his, but I would never hurt or disown him.

I wasn't blaming their behaviour on their religion, apologies if it came across that way, its more their interpretation of the Bible- in the same way that Muslim terrorists twist the words of the Koran to suit their warped agenda.

The Bible belt in the US always strikes me as very 'Old Testament' when it comes to their system of beliefs/values, rather than focusing on the much more (for the most part) peaceful and liberal message of the New Testament.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Christians do wrong stuff too. I am a Christian and I fail very often. It is difficult if people take all the bible literally which appears to be the case here. I prefer to think of 'love one another' and 'do unto others as you'd have done to yourself.' For what it's worth, most Christians would not support that kind of behaviour.

Unfortunately, whilst that's true, there will aways be people out there that will use a story focussed on those with extreme views to tar an entire religion with the same brush.

It seems to happen for pretty much any major one out there and I've never really figured out what the purpose of doing it is. The whole point of a faith based system is that faith will stand up to the negative stories and aspersions because people genuinely believe in it, usually impacting no one but themselves, so someone else's actions will make no difference to them...and good on them for it. Before anyone asks, I'm an atheist of the chilled out persuasion.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wasn't blaming their behaviour on their religion, apologies if it came across that way, its more their interpretation of the Bible- in the same way that Muslim terrorists twist the words of the Koran to suit their warped agenda.

The Bible belt in the US always strikes me as very 'Old Testament' when it comes to their system of beliefs/values, rather than focusing on the much more (for the most part) peaceful and liberal message of the New Testament.
Agreed. 👍
Unfortunately, whilst that's true, there will aways be people out there that will use a story focussed on those with extreme views to tar an entire religion with the same brush.

It seems to happen for pretty much any major one out there and I've never really figured out what the purpose of doing it is. The whole point of a faith based system is that faith will stand up to the negative stories and aspersions because people genuinely believe in it, usually impacting no one but themselves, so someone else's actions will make no difference to them...and good on them for it. Before anyone asks, I'm an atheist of the chilled out persuasion.

Not Richard Dawkins then!

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
So its fine for his parents to disown their son for being gay, but he is at fault for showing them up for what they are?

Am guessing if Youtube was around when priests were caught on camera kiddy fiddling that your equivalents then would have sought to deflect from the message the video was conveying.

Glad he posted it as you never know, it might just cause one or two other religious homophobes to question their beliefs over the love of their kids.

I think your other example is totally out of context and you obviously mean to be insulting so will leave you with it as don't want an argument. I haven't condoned anything in the clip just question it's background.

On viewing the clip I actually thought all were talking reasonably calmly until the lad denied that his father had raised him (by providing). That appeared to be more insulting and provoking to them than his "coming out". Think can even hear father saying "lets talk about this"

Obviously been posted for the anti Christian Brigade so i'll leave it there.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It was a conversation which started antagonistically, I didn't listen to all of it, but it was going badly from the start, and I don't think the young man was inviting a calm sensible conversation. Parents/kids get very angry with each other and sometimes it's not always appropriate, or justified or fair. That's family life sometimes. This seemed to start as a row so it was never going to become anything better.

His parents do seem to have a problem with his sexuality, but in the same way that he is gay, they are old fashioned and religious. I think he could do with extending the same understanding towards his parents as he would hope to receive from them himself. That would be a start.

I can't believe the kid has received $50k+ in donations, that is crazy.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

You absolute bellend, do us a favour and keep your ludicrous views to yourself in the future grandad.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I sincerely hope not. I don't buy into the preachy/mocking atheism lifestyle, those who do have a habit of making it look like a separate faith based syststem, which is slightly missing the point.

Live and let live and all that.

I agree, I don't believe in any supreme being that has influence over anyone's life but I certainly don't think of it as haven't a different faith. I am in that place because I have thought about faith (having had a catholic education) and what I perceive it to mean. However, my view of the parents in that clip would be that they have never thought deeply about it and have just blindly believed what they have been told by their parents and/or the local preacher.

What were the reasons he recorded the situation, I don't know, maybe he expected trouble and thought of it as some insurance if things went really bad. I don't think his comments about his dad not 'raising' him were antagonistic however that was certainly the reaction he got. I would suggest that he believes raising a kid isn't merely providing the funds to feed, clothe and house them. Maybe he has had to endure comments from his dad about 'queers' before he came out. Maybe his dad rants on about 'coons, kooks, spics and chinks and anyone else he looks down at.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Original story

i would have thought these Christians would have known better than to be violent towards their offspring.

Ahhh the so called peace loving caring Christian folk !!
Some of the worst tempered, self indulgent , up their own shitters, We're better than you, people
I have ever had the misfortune to meet in my life so far have been so called caring tolerant Christians.
They hide their greed, nastiness and hate behind the veil of religion.
Prime example being The dear old Westboro LOONIES.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here