• Hyypia's 2014/15 > Garcia's 2013/14 > Poyet's 2012/13

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Optimism abounds right now, which is great.

We've achieved the play-offs in each of the two last seasons, so how do you think Sami Hyypia's squad compares to those from the last two seasons?

2012/13 - Players who played more than 10 games

Kuszczak

Bruno
Greer
El-Abd
Calderon
Upson
Bridge

Hammond
Crofts
Orlandi
Vicente
Dicker
David
LuaLua
Bridcutt
Buckley

Ulloa
Hoskins
Barnes
CMS
Dobbie

2013/14 - Players who played more than 10 games

Kuszczak

Bruno
Greer
El-Abd
Calderon
Upson
Ward
Dunk

Stephens
Andrews
Crofts
Orlandi
David
LuaLua
Bridcutt
Buckley
Agustien
JFC
Conway
March
Lingard
Ince

Ulloa
Barnes
Rodriguez

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I was going to do a comparison with all our current players and their counterparts (or themselves in some cases) from Gus's last season. Beat me to it with a much simpler version. I haven't seen enough of this year's squad yet to ascertain whether it is better than the one that achieved our highest finish for 30 years but I certainly believe we're already stronger than last year. Currently: Poyet>Hyypia>Garcia though I do think this squad could be just as good if not better than Poyet's last.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I've gone for Poyet--Hyypia--Garcia. I did consider switching Hyypia and Poyet but its too early to tell if the current squad is better, so i'm going with hindsight rather than foresight.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
It is a shame that we have not had two seasons under Sami with an earlier season with an Arabian Shiekh. Were both Sami's squads rated higher than the Arab we would have Hyppia, Hyppia, Sheikh....

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Based purely on potential I think Sami-Gus-Oscar and only because we have now recruited players with the technical ability to support the clubs ambition to play attractive passing football with purpose

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've gone for Poyet--Hyypia--Garcia. I did consider switching Hyypia and Poyet but its too early to tell if the current squad is better, so i'm going with hindsight rather than foresight.

Exactly this. Last season's squad was by far the weakest of the three. Goes to show how well OG did in getting us to the playoffs.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Squad: Hyypia>Poyet>Garcia
First-eleven/fourteen: Poyet>Hyypia>Garcia
The squad itself was not only weaker for Garcia, but it was limited further by injuries, which suggests that he did a really good job getting us into the play-offs.
At the moment, I still think that the first eleven/fourteen Poyet had at its disposal in the second half of the season was the strongest, although that view might change if Hyypia settles on certain players, and they show what they can do. That said, the Poyet squad I'm referring to had Kuzsczak playing well, Upson and Bridge in defence, Bridcutt mopping everything up, Lopez and Orlandi pulling the strings, Buckley speeding away, and Ulloa firing them in.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
It's a tough one! I went with the majority because overall that squad was better (although that view could change by the end of this season). What nearly changed my mind is that I think the attacking options are stronger this time around.

Poyet's 4th place squad was clearly the strongest because of what they acheived and the manner in which they did it. I don't think it's obvious what then comes next - no one has seen the current players perform together and can tell if they can replace and exceed the loss over the summer of Ulloa-Buckley-Kuszczak-Upson-Orlandi-Lingard-Ward

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Squad: Hyypia>Poyet>Garcia
First-eleven/fourteen: Poyet>Hyypia>Garcia
The squad itself was not only weaker for Garcia, but it was limited further by injuries, which suggests that he did a really good job getting us into the play-offs.
At the moment, I still think that the first eleven/fourteen Poyet had at its disposal in the second half of the season was the strongest, although that view might change if Hyypia settles on certain players, and they show what they can do. That said, the Poyet squad I'm referring to had Kuzsczak playing well, Upson and Bridge in defence, Bridcutt mopping everything up, Lopez and Orlandi pulling the strings, Buckley speeding away, and Ulloa firing them in.

Ummm, there's no point writing much when someone else has already completely captured your thoughts and expressed them for you.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Probably to early to tell where Hyppias squad ranks however it is interesting to note this between Poyets and Garcias squad:

Garcia
Goalkeepers = unchanged

Defenders
Loses
Bridge
Gains
Dunk
Ward

Midfielders
Loses
Hammond
Vicente
Dicker
Gains
Stephens
Andrews
Agustien
JFC
Conway
March

Forwards
Loses
Hoskins
CMS
Dobbie
Gains
Rodriquez

The defence looks about equal to me, the midfield stronger under Garcia but the forwards weaker (due to a lack of depth only) so you could argue that Garcias squad was actually stronger than Poyets as the forward line under Garcia didn't rely on the reserve type players having so many games (Hoskins & Dobbie)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here