Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are people getting carried away with this squads capability?

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
As you strange keyboard warriors tag people 'Bedwetters' when they voice their concerns over the clubs dealings, I'd also like to point out that on the other hand others are prematurely ejaculating all over the show at the new signings where as I'm a little bit more relaxed about it and unsure lets say of what were capable of.

We've seen lots of new players come in at a very fast rate & i'm really impressed at how quickly Sami and the coaching team have appeared to have got them gelling so well together when some only signed a day or so before certain games and in a new style of playing, of which again I'd like to add looks fantastic. On the back of last seasons dull football under Garcia, Hyppia has got me excited to go to the games again, the wing backs surging forward is exciting to say the least but and I have to say I'm hesitant to say where we will finish.

In regards to assessing the newbies since 2 weeks ago, it looks like this to me.....

Holla - not match fit/sharp = promising from ONE game!
Bennett - good signing
Teixiera - great signing
Gardner - no idea (injury prone)
Baldock - no idea - another small striker in the CMS ilk, I'm concerned at our lack of target man, presence and height up top as heard from Bristol City mate that Baldock plays best with target man so watch this space.
Colunga - promising - but no more as we've seen one game against league 1 opposition.

So for me we have 3 solid signings who should be capable in this league of doing well, but recently I've seen comments from people who are over the moon with our signings, praising Burke, Bloom etc for the amazing job they have done, well that all seems very premature......especially as either half of these people who are now on cloud 9 were either slating those who complained about the lack of transfer activity or agreed and moaned aswell, seems to be a lot of hypocrites on this site. It's either feast or famine on this site!

I even saw someone say we have a top 4 squad now, how on earth does anyone come up with that. Lets be realistic, it's a capable squad with more quality than we had but still lacks that 2 quality players to be classed as something that can challenge the playoffs comfortably. We still lack that target man in the Murray or Wood style who can serve players like CMS/Baldock and O'Grady is not that man i'm afraid. We are still weak at right back with Calde for me as much as I love the guy and I still think we lack that extra creative force in midfield, hopefully Gardner can be it?

If Hyppia were to get us in the top 6 this season for me it would be a greater achievement than the past two playoff seasons!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Very much so

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
As you strange keyboard warriors tag people 'Bedwetters' when they voice their concerns over the clubs dealings, I'd also like to point out that on the other hand others are prematurely ejaculating all over the show at the new signings where as I'm a little bit more relaxed about it and unsure lets say of what were capable of.

We've seen lots of new players come in at a very fast rate & i'm really impressed at how quickly Sami and the coaching team have appeared to have got them gelling so well together when some only signed a day or so before certain games and in a new style of playing, of which again I'd like to add looks fantastic. On the back of last seasons dull football under Garcia, Hyppia has got me excited to go to the games again, the wing backs surging forward is exciting to say the least but and I have to say I'm hesitant to say where we will finish.

In regards to assessing the newbies since 2 weeks ago, it looks like this to me.....

Bennett - good signing
Teixiera - great signing
Baldock - no idea - another small striker in the CMS ilk, I'm concerned at our lack of target man, presence and height up top as heard from Bristol City mate that Baldock plays best with target man so watch this space.
Colunga - promising - but no more as we've seen one game against league 1 opposition.

So for me we have 3 solid signings who should be capable in this league of doing well, but recently I've seen comments from people who are over the moon with our signings, praising Burke, Bloom etc for the amazing job they have done, well that all seems very premature......especially as either half of these people who are now on cloud 9 were either slating those who complained about the lack of transfer activity or agreed and moaned aswell, seems to be a lot of hypocrites on this site. It's either feast or famine on this site!

I even saw someone say we have a top 4 squad now, how on earth does anyone come up with that. Lets be realistic, it's a capable squad with more quality than we had but still lacks that 2 quality players to be classed as something that can challenge the playoffs comfortably. We still lack that target man in the Murray or Wood style who can serve players like CMS/Baldock and O'Grady is not that man i'm afraid. We are still weak at right back with Calde for me as much as I love the guy and I still think we lack that extra creative force in midfield, hopefully Gardner can be it?

If Hyppia were to get us in the top 6 this season for me it would be a greater achievement than the past two playoff seasons!

Agree that we don't have a good target man, but I don't think Hyppia wants to play that way. I think O'Grady will only get used if we are chasing a game and need to change our style.

I think the squad looks strong and I don't think Calde needs to worry too much defensively. I can see us playing with 1 or 2 holding midfieldplayers who drop in between the centre halves leaving the full backs to almost play as wingers.

I agree we don't need to get too carried away but like you I am excited about the style of play and Bolton was the first time I can remember being excited by what I was watching for at least a season. I am gutted because I can't get to the match tomorrow but am going to Brentford so hopefully we won't get beaten there as we normally do.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
but recently I've seen comments from people who are over the moon with our signings, praising Burke, Bloom etc for the amazing job they have done, well that all seems very premature......especially as either half of these people who are now on cloud 9 were either slating those who complained about the lack of transfer activity or agreed and moaned aswell, seems to be a lot of hypocrites on this site. It's either feast or famine on this site!

I think a part of that is relief. There are people who tried to remain positive, while deep down they were actually as worried as the people they were criticising for moaning. They probably had some subconscious anguish over feeling the need to remain positive as a supporter, while also having those concerns about our transfer dealings and results prior to the last couple of weeks.

Then we sign players, get a couple of wins, and suddenly everyone can take a breath and their relief comes out as a "ha, told you so"/"amazing business!" kind of overcompensation.

Things are mostly looking positive. Toko not coming off the bench at all leaves questions, O'Grady is drawing questions with his lax performances, I wonder if there are questions about Hughes given Dunk's progress, and McCourt and Gardner just haven't had enough time to show much yet but generally the pair of them seem at least decent squad additions and may prove to be better than that. But people still need to wait a while and see how the team settles down over the coming months before getting overly effusive about the transfer deals.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Bennett - good signing
Teixiera - great signing

It is far too early to say where we will finish but I think people are just generally pleased the football has already improved to a level where win, lose or draw going to games is going to be enjoyable again

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Agree that we don't have a good target man, but I don't think Hyppia wants to play that way. I think O'Grady will only get used if we are chasing a game and need to change our style.

I think the squad looks strong and I don't think Calde needs to worry too much defensively. I can see us playing with 1 or 2 holding midfieldplayers who drop in between the centre halves leaving the full backs to almost play as wingers.

I agree we don't need to get too carried away but like you I am excited about the style of play and Bolton was the first time I can remember being excited by what I was watching for at least a season. I am gutted because I can't get to the match tomorrow but am going to Brentford so hopefully we won't get beaten there as we normally do.

this

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm mostly happy that none of our signings look like a waste of money so far. COG looks most limited, but I doubt he's on top whack and gives us something a bit more direct. Everyone else looks like a good signing. You look at our squad and we have a happy situation where the first XI doesn't just pick itself, and not just because none of them look up to it.

What we really don't want are sick notes who rarely play but eat into the playing budget. If this squad can do their jobs, we will be there or thereabouts come Christmas, with the financial potential to splash out on real quality to get us over the line. Getting rid of Buckley for £2.5m could well prove the best piece of business conducted this summer, not Ulloa.

chatstandnorth

Apr 21, 2014

Bennett - good signing
Teixiera - great signing

Are you getting carried away with berating the squad after 2/3 games of being together???

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
With thread titles saying we're going to smash the championship? Shirley not over stating our ability at all...

But at least it's nice to some blind positivity for a change to the endless moaning over the last few weeks.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes of course we are overreacting! Based on the first half at Leeds, we are going to win the league! It's obvious.

I firmly put myself in the blindly optimistic camp. Do I really expect us to win the league? No, of course not. If some are now expecting us to do well because of our signings, then that is rather absurd, but there is nothing wrong with being excited and positive about our new squad.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
And Hyypia's system is still to be put to the test by better teams - its not working so well for Man U.

But I am optimistic.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
And Hyypia's system is still to be put to the test by better teams - its not working so well for Man U.

But I am optimistic.

Pretty sure they are playing a standard 3-5-2 though? Whereas our formation seems to be more of a 4-2-3-1 with the fullbacks given full licence to get forward while the deeper midfield players cover.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

You want to have a word with your Bristol City mate. It sounds as if he doesn't watch his team that much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuLCM-w7MRk

As to your other comments, of course we all have to wait and see what team emerges. We're at a new stage of development. On paper things look promising and that's what people are excited about. Let's see what emerges on the pitch. Is that what you are driving at? If so, it's a very basic point that even those that are excited would subscribe to.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here

Bennett - good signing
Teixiera - great signing

Why do people do this? Quote the whole ****ing post and then respond with a line or two? Annoying, no?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Pretty sure they are playing a standard 3-5-2 though? Whereas our formation seems to be more of a 4-2-3-1 with the fullbacks given full licence to get forward while the deeper midfield players cover.

I agree its a 4-2-3-1 and dont actually think he wants a big target man as the 1. The 3 narrow attacking midfielders will have license to roam and find space to feed balls into the nippy striker or attack from a deeper position. The 2 wing backs will push forward to add width and be covered by the 2 players in front of the back 4 of which probably 1 ( Holla ) will be tasked with quick long forward balls to the front line.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Why do people do this? Quote the whole ****ing post and then respond with a line or two? Annoying, no?

Agreed, it's really annoying when people quote the OP.

With regard to the OP's thoughts, whilst I kind of agree with most of your thoughts... I don't think any of us positivists are saying that we're going to storm the league (though there is a small chance that we could), just that we should back our club to the hilt. This compared to those who were "genuinely concerned" and "unhappy with the club's leadership".

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I agree it is 4-2-something, which to my mind is not really attacking as 4-3-3 but probably suited to our players at the current state of their development.

I think Stockdale and Bennett were second on the list of targets. And selling Will Buckley (irreplaceable like for like) was a mistake which might have been avoided, might not?

I was not so dismayed after Wednesday match as I did not think they could score in a month of Sundays and then they did. But Bolton seemed likely to score in the first half a hour when they put the ball in the gap in front of our full backs which should at least delay the opposition until our defence got back. At least the winger went around the outside as it is the cutting in and shooting that is most dangerous.

It does seem we are taking promotion seriously this season and that is the main point. Now Sami is job is to make the misfits into a team. Second place is still up for grabs behind Forest although Norwich and Derby look strong. Maybe it is a two year plan?

PS: Season started like 1978-79. First match expected to be a hangover. I did not like the style of lumping it to Ulloa anyway. I am glad we have still got Rohan Ince. (He could be another Lawrenson and that is optimistic!)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here