Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English children 'less happy than those in developing countries'

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The Children's Society's Good Childhood Report ranked England behind nations like Romania, Brazil and South Africa.

It came ninth of 11 countries polled - before South Korea and Uganda - on how happy children were with their lives.

The report, based on a survey of 16,000 children from the countries, warned low wellbeing could impair children's health, education and family life.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sigh .... when will people stop trying to 'measure' everything ? You can't measure happiness.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sigh .... when will people stop trying to 'measure' everything ? You can't measure happiness.

You certainly can. In the same way you can measure all manner of other psychiatric conditions.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is there a complimentary measure of expectation? because otherwise attempting to compare happiness is more meaningless than trying to measure it in the first place.

Another vague "survey" to raise the profile of an organisation with an interest in the "right" outcome for them. Why 11 eleven countries, how where they chosen and what were the questions? Perhaps they asked lots of countries and chose the ones that gave the "correct" answer?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
This comes as no surprise to me. From my window at the moment I can see into a slum where kids are running about in the sunshine chasing each other, no money in the world but blimey they look happy.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You certainly can. In the same way you can measure all manner of other psychiatric conditions.

Rubbish - there's no official scientific scale for happiness and it's subjective not objective. Happiness itself fluctuates from moment to moment - if one of my children is feeling unhappy one minute and I then give them an ice cream suddenly they will claim to be happy. Surveys like this are just a load of psycho-babble an not science.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My two, adopted children, wouldn't know happiness if they were bathed in it.

The whole day is spent in survival, oneupmanship, and looking for the next 'thing', instead of enjoying the present.
We've spent the last 5+ years trying to make up for other peoples f*** ups.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rubbish - there's no official scientific scale for happiness and it's subjective not objective. Happiness itself fluctuates from moment to moment - if one of my children is feeling unhappy one minute and I then give them an ice cream suddenly they will claim to be happy. Surveys like this are just a load of psycho-babble an not science.

I agree, there is no single 'official' scientific scale for happiness. But there are plenty of calibrated scales out there which are used and utilised for varying specific and scientific needs. Using a common example how do you think clinical depression is diagnosed? Like in your example "one of my children is feeling unhappy one minute and I then give them an ice cream suddenly they will claim to be happy" How do think doctors gain an overall picture? And "subjectivity" can be addressed using mathematical methods. It is not an exact science, but it is a science. As an aside, you'd be surprised how much of science is not exact.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My two, adopted children, wouldn't know happiness if they were bathed in it.

The whole day is spent in survival, oneupmanship, and looking for the next 'thing', instead of enjoying the present.
We've spent the last 5+ years trying to make up for other peoples f*** ups.

Stat - if you don't mind me asking, how old were your two when you got them? Are they related to each other?

Kudos to you...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My 4 year old was FUMING when we wouldn't let him watch another Phineas & Ferb this morning.

I'm glad we didn't have a child happiness surveyor knocking on the door to ask him about it - the result would have been similar to me opening the door to find a Labour candidate asking me if they could rely on my vote.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My 4 year old was FUMING when we wouldn't let him watch another Phineas & Ferb this morning.

I'm glad we didn't have a child happiness surveyor knocking on the door to ask him about it - the result would have been similar to me opening the door to find a Labour candidate asking me if they could rely on my vote.

I wonder if they did the German survey just after the world cup final? This might account for the happy Deutsche kids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here