Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realism in films

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Spent part of today watching a 1950's fil called "The Black Tent" on Channel 24.

I found it hilarious watching the main star a 1950's matinee idol called Anthony Steel who spent (according to the story) months stuck in a Bedouin tent after escaping barely alive from Rommel's Afrika Korps. Yet for scene after scene his chin was clean-shaven and his angelic curls were immaculately combed.

It made me realise what it means nowadays when stars "suffer" for their roles in the name of realism. Steel must have been rather vain I think. Mind you he had a nice taste in women..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Ekberg

Sadly his career in the US never took off and he eventually lived in obscurity.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Ust look at Christian bale's film history. A true, dedicated actor.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Ust look at Christian bale's film history. A true, dedicated actor.

When you first see him in the Machinist it really is quite shocking. Gary Oldman had to be treated in hospital for a bit after losing too much weight for Sid and Nancy. I think De Niro even had his teeth ground down for Cape Fear.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Brad Pitt chipped half his front tooth off for Kalifornia.

You know levels of realism films are aiming for when they show a couple waking up in bed with great hair and immediately start getting off with each other.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I haven't seen the film but the final scene in the " art film " The Brown Bunny is supposed to be as realistic as you can get!!!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I watched Zombieland on C4 last night and in one scene, Woody Harrelson threw away a perfectly good weapon that he would surely have needed later. It spoiled an otherwise perfectly realistic movie about the living dead for me.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The story goes that Dustin Hoffman, a notorious "method" actor, was running something like 10k a day during the filming of Marathon Man and was challenged one day by Sir Laurence Olivier as to why he was doing it...

Hoffman: It's "Method". It helps me get in character.
Olivier: Darling! Have you never heard of "acting".

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I watched Zombieland on C4 last night and in one scene, Woody Harrelson threw away a perfectly good weapon that he would surely have needed later. It spoiled an otherwise perfectly realistic movie about the living dead for me.

That grated with me too. Also every motor they got in appeared to have a full fuel tank, including the Humvee, that must do at least five gallons to the mile.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
That grated with me too. Also every motor they got in appeared to have a full fuel tank, including the Humvee, that must do at least five gallons to the mile.

And the Bill Murray bit? He must have realised he was going to be shot? Really annoyed me that did.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
And the Bill Murray bit? He must have realised he was going to be shot? Really annoyed me that did.

And when the girls thought going to the theme park and turning on all lights and music was remotely a good idea. They've survived that long, they're clearly not stupid, yet that is one of the most moronic things you could do? Not to mention they then go and strap themselves in a ride, which inevitably, was going to have to come back down to the zombies. They were smarter than that and they just wouldn't have done it.

Still I do like the film, but there are so many parts of it where even for a zombie movie, it's just not realistic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here