Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The amount spent by Championship clubs on agents fees in the 2013/2014 season

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Madness!
Surely unsustainable?

With eleven in this season how much are we going to shell out this year!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Judging by Blackpool's figure, I guess it wouldn't be the biggest leap of faith to assume an agent can earn £10k from one mediocre transfer to a pi$$ poor team.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
47 transactions for us at an average of £7969 a pop :ohmy:

This is what I don't get about football. Why don't the players pay their own agents? If I want to buy a house from someone, I don't pay their solicitors' fees: the vendor pays their own. I understand that not all these "transactions" are player sales, many are contract renewals etc, but why on earth don't the players pay their own agents to negotiate these deals? I

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
47 transactions for us at an average of £7969 a pop :ohmy:

This is what I don't get about football. Why don't the players pay their own agents? If I want to buy a house from someone, I don't pay their solicitors' fees: the vendor pays their own. I understand that not all these "transactions" are player sales, many are contract renewals etc, but why on earth don't the players pay their own agents to negotiate these deals? I

One big reason is the way in which HMRC treat footballers.

Actors pay their own agents but those payments are allowable as a business expense - i.e. payment is made out of income before tax. HMRC don't allow footballers to claim payments made to agents as an allowable expense so most contracts include a clause making the club liable for the agents costs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder what age the youngest 'player' with an agent is?

All these Chelsea kids will have agents, possibly the same agents as the rest of the under 21's.
But how far down does it go, under 20's - 18's, lower?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Also interesting to see Burnley and Derby spent little in comparison to others but those who spent the least got relegated...apart from Blackpool who are probably doomed this season,

As regards the kids...Solly has Codner....wonder how much he gets.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
One big reason is the way in which HMRC treat footballers.

Actors pay their own agents but those payments are allowable as a business expense - i.e. payment is made out of income before tax. HMRC don't allow footballers to claim payments made to agents as an allowable expense so most contracts include a clause making the club liable for the agents costs.

And if a club pays the agent's fee, surely that would be a tax deductible expense for the club?

HMRC will get their wack when the agent declares the income and then pays PAYE [Corp tax] on their earnings [profits]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here