Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 20 Signs That Prove You're A Football Manager Addict

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I've racked up a horrendous amount of unnecessary hours. I even uninstalled it for a week to then come back to it. Ridiculous how addictive it is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've been clean for 10 years and counting now. Just take it a day at a time, you can get there. I can't lie, in my darker moments a small part of me still longs for that old familiar rush, but I know that it isn't possible to "just play 30 minutes", so I stay well away.

Oct 25, 2003
"oh i'll just play one more game before I go to bed"

....5 hours later

"ok, now I mean it....one more game"

...2 hours later

"ok, I'll just finish this season THEN i'll go to bed"

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I play it loads - fortunately our living situation means i can play it on my laptop and stay social by playing with it on my lap whilst watching tv with the missus/flatmate

my only problem is i cant get deep enough into a game before wanting to manage a diff team, its a curse

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I got sacked by Brighton after taking us up to the premiership then straight back down again! Got offered the manager's job at Leeds, how could I turn down the opportunity to manage the champions of Europe! :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
my only problem is i cant get deep enough into a game before wanting to manage a diff team, its a curse

I'm the opposite - I always lose my love for the game when I switch team, whether by choice or sacked. I just can't love the new team like my first love.

Oct 25, 2003
I'm the opposite - I always lose my love for the game when I switch team, whether by choice or sacked. I just can't love the new team like my first love.

exactly the same.

my best ever game was when i turned BRUGES into a european powerhouse. i was loving it until i made a foolish switch to the bright lights of the premier league...i just couldnt drum up the same enthusiasm without scouting for african wonderkids and taking the champions league by storm. after a brief stint in charge of the belgian national side i returned to bruges with my tail well and truly in between my legs...it just wasn't the same...i felt a bit dirty

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I just can't bring myself to ever switch team, no matter how good the offer.

On FM12 I'd got the Albion to the stage of regular Top 4 finishes in the Prem and was offered the Real Madrid job, with an absurdly good squad and a transfer budget of over 100 million...and turned it down because I couldn't bring myself to be disloyal to my virtual Albion squad.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'm currently in 2027 with Exeter, two straight top 4 finishes, 1 Europa League, 1 Super Cup and a Carling Cup to my name (plus the lower leagues)...516 hours so far this year...I think I might have an issue.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Ive stopped playing this one now. I managed Brighton, went to Arsenal , got sacked and now managing a German team that I cant be bothered with.

Did an England one before World cup , which was great but want to wait until next one now. Can't start a BHA one when half the squad is different. There's not an update is there? Whens the next one out?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
exactly the same.

my best ever game was when i turned BRUGES into a european powerhouse. i was loving it until i made a foolish switch to the bright lights of the premier league...i just couldnt drum up the same enthusiasm without scouting for african wonderkids and taking the champions league by storm. after a brief stint in charge of the belgian national side i returned to bruges with my tail well and truly in between my legs...it just wasn't the same...i felt a bit dirty

My thing was always that I'd start unemployed and try to get to the top. But as soon as I made the first job change I just wouldn't care anymore. Frustrating.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
My West Bromwich Albion save was genuinely at risk of taking over my life. As a history geek, I've always had this weird obsession with documenting things (I have hundreds of old Argus sports sections). It got to the point where I was screenshotting practically everything that happened in-game and genuinely filming my screen to record all the best goals and the most important ones (my laptop is full of the damning evidence).

Every little thing my in-game son, whether it was a goal, and assist or even his monthly training report was recorded and photographed. I had every single ex-player for the team short-listed so I could keep track of their careers. I even began keeping records of my best players club stats, so somewhere in my draw there is a sheet of paper with exactly how many appearances, goals and assists the likes of Ilori, Sanogo, Thorne, Smejkal, Shelvey, Olsson and Acquafresca all made.

I doubt I will ever have time to go through the entire lot, but I estimate there are something in the region of 3000 pictures and videos relating to the save, and my game time was nearly 90 days. How I broke free I will never know, but thankfully I have toned it down to the point where I can just play it casually every now and again.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I take it this game is a lot more difficult than the mobile version? Football manager handheld. I started with Bromley and went up consecutive seasons until I finished second in the Prem and the next year won it along with the champions league. I have been curious about trying the full game but just do not have the time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My West Bromwich Albion save was genuinely at risk of taking over my life. As a history geek, I've always had this weird obsession with documenting things (I have hundreds of old Argus sports sections). It got to the point where I was screenshotting practically everything that happened in-game and genuinely filming my screen to record all the best goals and the most important ones (my laptop is full of the damning evidence).

Every little thing my in-game son, whether it was a goal, and assist or even his monthly training report was recorded and photographed. I had every single ex-player for the team short-listed so I could keep track of their careers. I even began keeping records of my best players club stats, so somewhere in my draw there is a sheet of paper with exactly how many appearances, goals and assists the likes of Ilori, Sanogo, Thorne, Smejkal, Shelvey, Olsson and Acquafresca all made.

I doubt I will ever have time to go through the entire lot, but I estimate there are something in the region of 3000 pictures and videos relating to the save, and my game time was nearly 90 days. How I broke free I will never know, but thankfully I have toned it down to the point where I can just play it casually every now and again.

Thank you for sharing, Mowgli. Everyone say thank you to Mowgli for being so brave and sharing with the rest of us.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012

Never ever try drugs, in fact anything of an addictive nature.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Thank you for sharing, Mowgli. Everyone say thank you to Mowgli for being so brave and sharing with the rest of us.

:lolol:

Well it was tough, but admitting it is the first step and I hope, with your help I can make it through...

*breaks down and is consoled by the group leader*

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Never ever try drugs, in fact anything of an addictive nature.

:thumbsup:

Believe it or not I really don't have an addictive personality! During the period I have described I could stop playing for days at a time if I chose to. It was the fact that when I started, I got so involved and so invested emotionally with the save that all the extra stuff like the documenting the history of mine and the player's careers arose from simply enjoying the game so much and the desire to remember those great moments as best as I could. In fact I applaud the makers for creating a game that kept me so entertained.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here