Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Perils of failed English footballers - BBC article.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Maybe those that go bankrupt do so because they continue to live in the lifestyle they did as a footballer but without the income? :shrug:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Clubs should give over one training session a week to Home Economics by the sounds of that article.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
i read somewhere that fifty per cent of footballers marriages come to an end within a year of retirement. possibly due to the fact they hadn't spent prolonged time with their partner before? the stress and depression of lacking a purpose or stimulus after retiring?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
i read somewhere that fifty per cent of footballers marriages come to an end within a year of retirement. possibly due to the fact they hadn't spent prolonged time with their partner before? the stress and depression of lacking a purpose or stimulus after retiring?

Or in some case the Wife doesn't find it as glamorous to be married to an ex footballer.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I suppose the issue is one week you earn huge money and the next you do not and the reality of how to adjust accordingly.

Is that because the football salaries are just plain stupid in the first place ?

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The stats on ex footballers are still skewed a low by pros who were playing in the pre-Sky millions days. It's very very easy to imagine that someone who was earning a well above average salary got used to living that lifestyle but didn't account for the fact that money would dry up after the age of 35.

It's still possible that mega earners could spend much of what they earn, but one would imagine that nowadays such finances, being the big business that they are, would be well managed and unlikely to produce as many washed up bankruptcies as previously. Look at the stats in 10 years once there's a significant sample of ex-Premiership earners.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The stats on ex footballers are still skewed a low by pros who were playing in the pre-Sky millions days. It's very very easy to imagine that someone who was earning a well above average salary got used to living that lifestyle but didn't account for the fact that money would dry up after the age of 35.

It's still possible that mega earners could spend much of what they earn, but one would imagine that nowadays such finances, being the big business that they are, would be well managed and unlikely to produce as many washed up bankruptcies as previously. Look at the stats in 10 years once there's a significant sample of ex-Premiership earners.

I think you forget that all these footballers end up with a "retinue" of hangers-on and general arse-wipers if they're not careful. They will still want a take and therefore the player himself won't be able to set aside enough money to cover tax, divorce settlements etc.

These guys are mercenaries now, they won't be shielded by the clubs like they used to be.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I think you forget that all these footballers end up with a "retinue" of hangers-on and general arse-wipers if they're not careful. They will still want a take and therefore the player himself won't be able to set aside enough money to cover tax, divorce settlements etc.

These guys are mercenaries now, they won't be shielded by the clubs like they used to be.

Possibly true. My main point was that footballers from 10, 15, 20 years ago were rich, but not super rich, and it's easy to see how having that money young, rather than reaching it at a more mature point in an average life/career would lead to a lack of forward planning. To be honest in think that players are so much more 'managed' nowadays that it's unlikely as many will be able to blow it all so quickly, not to mention how much more they make.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The PFA pay lip service to looking after their members. It's a very amateurish organisation, and doesn't look after it's cash very well.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Clubs should give over one training session a week to Home Economics by the sounds of that article.

Home Ecomics was cooking when I was at school :shrug:
Has it changed.
They earn enough when playing they should invest some by paying for tuition before theyvgo skint to stop them going skint.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Why should it ??? It a football academy not a state funded nursery/ school

Duty of care. 80%+ of the kids that go there will not make it. As a parent, I would want to know what schooling they offer, what vocational courses they offer. what "life skills" they are taught, for want of a better expression etc etc. They ain't going to be playing football all day, especially those that are staying away from home, so I think that is vital. The last thing a club needs is complaints that the club promised them the earth and then dumped them with no backup plan in place.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Duty of care. 80%+ of the kids that go there will not make it. As a parent, I would want to know what schooling they offer, what vocational courses they offer. what "life skills" they are taught, for want of a better expression etc etc. They ain't going to be playing football all day, especially those that are staying away from home, so I think that is vital. The last thing a club needs is complaints that the club promised them the earth and then dumped them with no backup plan in place.

I saw there were job ads for teachers or tutors at the academy, so there must be something. To what level, I've no idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here