Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New process for electoral register

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I received a bizarre letter today saying that there's a new process for electoral registration to be on the electoral roll for next year I have to provide a copy of my passport and four items with my address on it - only one of which can be a utility bill.

Why and when did this process change? I've been on the electoral roll for nearly 40 years and have been on the electoral roll at my current address for 10 years. What does it say about Brighton Council that I have to take a copy of my council tax bill to the very office that I pay it to?

This seems like a sneaky attempt by the Tories to fiddle things. If I were an 18 year old living at home, I wouldn't have a P60 or a utility bill in my name. And why should we need a passport to be able to vote? are we going back to the days when only home owners could vote - it's a very worrying trend

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I received a bizarre letter today saying that there's a new process for electoral registration to be on the electoral roll for next year I have to provide a copy of my passport and four items with my address on it - only one of which can be a utility bill.

Why and when did this process change? I've been on the electoral roll for nearly 40 years and have been on the electoral roll at my current address for 10 years. What does it say about Brighton Council that I have to take a copy of my council tax bill to the very office that I pay it to?

This seems like a sneaky attempt by the Tories to fiddle things. If I were an 18 year old living at home, I wouldn't have a P60 or a utility bill in my name. And why should we need a passport to be able to vote? are we going back to the days when only home owners could vote - it's a very worrying trend

Under the address at the top right of the letter, what is the ref code ?

It all changed in about June this year. In an attempt to stop fraud all registered voters have been checked against DWP and HMRC records. If you are fiddling somewhere, or haven't updated details, then your details may not match, hence need to prove yourself

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Here's the background - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28132233

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Same here (in Horsham) a couple of weeks ago ... only for the Mrs too. Seems they think I'm OK but may have identified her as a floating voter ???

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Says in the article 80% of people should be automatically moved onto the new system - pretty sure me and the Mrs got letters from B&H council saying exactly that, although to be honest I can't recall all the details and it's long gone in the recycling now. Hmmmmm.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Balls, I'm 18 in March so what kind of items other than a bill could I use for identification? People aren't going to be happy with having to fork out for a new passport if they want to vote.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I did that and that's when I got the letter - it's all very weird. I've been at the same address for 10 years, I'm on PAYE and have been at the same company for four years and have no dealings with DWP

Having read the article, it would seem like they are being thorough, albeit, what you've been asked for does seem a bit OTT. If it prevents people from eroneously registering to vote, then it should be seen as a positive thing, can't see how this can be pointed at any political party, I'd expect this is a cross party initiative to reform voting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You need to be encouraging people to vote not putting hurdles in the way.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Balls, I'm 18 in March so what kind of items other than a bill could I use for identification? People aren't going to be happy with having to fork out for a new passport if they want to vote.

It looks like it may just be at random. If 80% are transferred automatically then they're probably asking a certain percentage. But if they do ask someone who hasn't got the right identification, they're effectively disenfranchised - it's not a good idea

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It looks like it may just be at random. If 80% are transferred automatically then they're probably asking a certain percentage. But if they do ask someone who hasn't got the right identification, they're effectively disenfranchised - it's not a good idea

Okay cheers, fingers crossed I won't be picked out eh :thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having read the article, it would seem like they are being thorough, albeit, what you've been asked for does seem a bit OTT. If it prevents people from eroneously registering to vote, then it should be seen as a positive thing, can't see how this can be pointed at any political party, I'd expect this is a cross party initiative to reform voting.

But it's crazy that I've been at the same place for 10 years and suddenly am a mystery. And apparently I'm too shadowy a figure when it comes to voting but not shadowy when it comes to paying council tax, How does that work?

oxymoron

NSC Patron
Feb 25, 2011
Same here (in Horsham) a couple of weeks ago ... only for the Mrs too. Seems they think I'm OK but may have identified her as a floating voter ???
Ruggles you Turnip, you got married Judy's name changed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The other thing that's strange is that the documents have to bear my full name; none of my bills or bank statements do, they have first name and surname (some have a middle initial) but none have all my forenames. How many people have utility bills sent in all their names. It does seem to be designed to put people off voting
EDIT: Phoned them and found out that my passport is good enough. What seems to have caused the confusion is that I use my middle name, not my first one. That's been the case for 30 years, so don't know why it's a problem now

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here