Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Like for like replacements, better or worse?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How do you think our new signings will compare to the players they replaced?

Stockdale for PIG: Better distribution, too early to determine in relation to saves
Bennett for Ward: About equal
Hughes for Upson: Worse
O'Grady for Lingard: About equal
Texiera for Orlandi: Better
Colunga for Rodriquez: Better
Baldock for Ulloa: Too early to say, would have to be exceptional player to be better though.
McCourt for Buckley: On his day, Buckley is better, how many days do we get a season though?
Holla for Andrews: Better
Toko for Spanish Dave: Who knows?
Gardner for Stephens (I'm assuming Stephens is out long term): Who knows?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Bennett for Ward: About equal better in attack, worse in defence
O'Grady for Lingard: somewhat worse
Texiera for Orlandi: MilesBetter
Colunga for Rodriquez: IncomparablyBetter
Baldock for Ulloa: Too early to say, would have to be exceptional player to be better though.Compared to prior to Leo's injury - agreed. After Leo's injury - I'd expect Baldock to be better

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
McCourt on his day is also a quality player though as we have seen the problem is those days not coming around very often at all.

We've signed some good players - Tex and Colunga the stand-outs for me - but lost some very good ones too. I think quality wise we are still down from the the team that finished 4th but we've all lowered our expectations since then. The key thing is Sami now - can he get consistency out of these signings.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think as individuals we're similar to a year ago but the bench is better now and I think this 1st XI has been carefully constructed, so they'll play more effective football than the class of 2013/14.

Crucially I think we have more attacking options now. Ulloa looked tired for much of the end of last season but with 4 fit strikers plus Teixeira then sensible rotation should ensure all still have something in the tank come May.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Stockdale for PIG: Better distribution, too early to determine in relation to saves
Baldock for Ulloa: Too early to say, would have to be exceptional player to be better though.
McCourt for Buckley: On his day, Buckley is better, how many days do we get a season though?

For me the comparisons would mostly be guesswork at this stage. But what we do appear to have ended up with is a better balanced attack and more creative (as well as more available) midfield. The proof will be in the pudding of course - but I feel more hopeful now than after the Wednesday game and if I remember rightly - more hopeful than this time last season.

Of course we also have CMS fit and scoring - so that adds to our options.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I think it's too early to suggest, perhaps we should wait till Christmas to say. Nonetheless, I think the style of football we're now playing will probably play a factory. I doubt Ulloa would fit well into the current system. Great player, but hasn't got a yard of pace whereas Colunga and Baldock do.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think as individuals we're similar to a year ago but the bench is better now and I think this 1st XI has been carefully constructed, so they'll play more effective football than the class of 2013/14.

Crucially I think we have more attacking options now. Ulloa looked tired for much of the end of last season but with 4 fit strikers plus Teixeira then sensible rotation should ensure all still have something in the tank come May.

This. Will be interesting to see how he rotates -- we may even find out what sensible rotation is -- but the squad now has such depth that there's going to be a fair few players disappointed at their lack of game time. What Toko's thinking at the moment would be interesting.
This will be another real test of Hyypia's management credentials.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

I don't agree with the pairings. Based on their likelihood of getting a starting place I would have
Colunga v Lingard - better (both likely to start)
Tex v Buckley - better (both likely to start)
O'Grady v Rodriguez - better (both on bench)
McCourt v Orlandi - better given Orlandi's showing at the end of last season. (both on bench)

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Pig v stockdale - tbh haven't seen Stockdale make an impressive save yet so have to go with PIG
Bennett v Ward - ward was imo our player of the year last year so have to say Ward
Hughes v Upson - Upson definitely better
O Grady v Lingard - equal
Texeira v Orlandi - better. And hopefully can stay fit
Colunga v Rodney - haven't seen colunga play yet but have to say Rodney was rubbish . So colunga is therefore better
Baldock v Ulloa - big boots to fill , so I would have to say Ulloa was better
McCourt v Buckley - Difficult one. Have seen loads of videos of McCourt and he looks great. But Buckley on his day was so exciting to watch.
Holla v Andrews Early days but Andrews was rubbish! Holla all the way !

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

This is , i think , the latest on Stephens injury.

[tweet]503989844524417025[/tweet]

"doing bits outside, but needs to build up fitness and catch up on pre-season"
Sounds like a few weeks away but not months...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Will the new players fit the new style better than the old ones would be a better question to ask.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
I know we are all pretty much in the dark over the club signings but, do you think the players know? As we have 4 strikers for example and may sign a 5th, are our recent signings made aware of the situation? or is it just something that's expected in most clubs?

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Surely its Holla v Bridcutt ? I know Bridcutt went in January, but we never really replaced him (well, Andrews wasnt up to it, and Ince is a slightly different player) I would be interested in seeing how Holla compares to Bridcutt, once he's had a few more games to settle in...

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I have a feeling about Paddy McCourt, I think he will do very well for us.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
This is , i think , the latest on Stephens injury.

[tweet]503989844524417025[/tweet]

"doing bits outside, but needs to build up fitness and catch up on pre-season"
Sounds like a few weeks away but not months...

I heard Stephens is out until Christmas - hence the Gardener signing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here