Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yasir Kassim and other thoughts from last night

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
First time I've been online since game last night and actually really surprised I can't find a single mention of Yasir Kassim.

Last night, in my opinion he was the man of the match and produced a performance reminiscent of Bridcutt at his best. Everything went through him for Swindon. A really strong performance as the engine of their team, he orchestrated virtually every move from deep in midfield all the way to the edge of our box. Seems a shame we didn't keep hold of him. I think he is a midfielder with some very significant potential.

He continued to find 5-8 yards space throughout the 120 minutes. His movement, positioning, distribution and vision was certainly excellent, but I did at times feel we really seemed to be gifting Swindon the opportunity to dictate the match - and I don't consider a midfield of Ince, JFC and Crofts that weak again L1 opposition. If Swindon's finishing hadn't been so poor, we could easily have been out of the cup last night. If I have a concern from last night, it's that at no point did we seem to make a concerted effort to shut Kassim down. I wonder whether this was naive from us. It was only Swindon going down to 10 men (through bad luck on George Barkers part) that changed the game. And even then Kassim continued to drive Swindon forward.

By contrast, Ince (who I am a big fan of) took up very similar positions to Kassim and really never established himself on the match with the exception of an utterly outstanding run and finish early on. But wow, what a goal.

Colunga looks a very good acquisition. Lively throughout, got in behind the Swindon defence on numerous occasions and is both creative for the benefit of others (just see his cross for Ince) and has an eye for goal.

Dunk was utterly outstanding and saved us from serious threats on goal possibly 10 times with timely blocks, tackles and interceptions. Glad to see him getting back to his best. A real talent.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Totally agree that Kassim was overall mom. His goal sealed that.

With regards to the midfield, we clearly started with a straight 4 4 2 when not in possession. IMO this was shown up for what it is, desperately out of date as a formation.

Hopefully we will revert to the 4 2 1 2 1 for the weekend as with the 2 deep lying midfielders taking away the space and covering for the marauding wingbacks, we should be harder to play through.

Yes - Kassim was the one that got away - seen Swindon play 3 times and he's been the best player on the pitch every time - the League One Pirlo

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Didn't Kasim get sent off in a DS game and offer out some Brighton fans?

I recall [MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] repprted on that.

Assuming that account is correct, perhaps he has bucked up his ideas.

Colunga had a hand in 5 of the goals? With him and Tex running the offence I'm hoping that the year of Oscar attritional football is finally history

Didn't Kasim get sent off in a DS game and offer out some Brighton fans?

I recall [MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] repprted on that.

Assuming that account is correct, perhaps he has bucked up his ideas.

At Loxwood in the Sussex Snr Cup a couple of seasons back. His behaviour that evening was disgraceful and would have got him sacked from most jobs.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Colunga had a hand in 5 of the goals? With him and Tex running the offence I'm hoping that the year of Oscar attritional football is finally history

he is really lively with generally good vision and touch.
exciting times, especially when you consider that March, Lua Lua, McCourt and CMS may struggle to make the first XI

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here