Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On paper - is this our best squad since 1982/83?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've written down my 1st XI and 7 subs and Toko, McCourt, JFC and Agustien are struggling to make the bench. This is the best 22 I think we've ever had, although it remains to be seen whether Sami can make this work.

I've not been this excited about an Albion line-up since the days of early Ulloa and cuffing Palace at the Amex. Whatever happens the board deserve a lot of credit for assembling this squad and still having transfer kitty from Ulloa left over.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't know enough about the players yet to say whether it's better than the side that finished 4th 2 seasons back.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Neither do I, but it's all there - precocious youth, players with a point to prove, flair, experience, hunger, competition for places...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No. It was decided before the season started that this was the WORST team we have had at the Amex, which just proves that some people (ok quite a lot it seems) really are deluded morons on here.

Before the season started (and for the first couple of league games) it quite probably WAS the worst squad we'd had at the Amex!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Lolz. Mental thread, I really hope you were not one of the ones proclaiming relegation two weeks ago. We've strengthened to the minimal degree, half the signings remain largely unproven and there are big questions hanging over the young player still. Could go on to great things but on paper? Get real. The team with Vicente in it was on paper our best bar none, but a country mile.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lolz. Mental thread, I really hope you were not one of the ones proclaiming relegation two weeks ago. We've strengthened to the minimal degree, half the signings remain largely unproven and there are big questions hanging over the young player still. Could go on to great things but on paper? Get real. The team with Vicente in it was on paper our best bar none, but a country mile.

I agree, the TEAM with Vicente in it was extremely good, but I'm talking about this SQUAD as compared with other squads.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Stronger than the mid-80s one that included Dennis Mortimer, Dean Saunders, Danny Wilson, Eric Young, Gary O'Reilly, Steve Penney, Terry Connor, Steve Jacobs ...?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I made a very similar point in one of he other threads. Yes, I think that, on paper, this is probably the best squad in absolute terms for ~30 years. It's arguable that other squads have been stronger for the division we've been in at the time, and whether it's strong enough, gels together properly, or delivers - only time will tell. But, on paper, it is, imo the best squad for 30 years...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I don't know enough about the players yet to say whether it's better than the side that finished 4th 2 seasons back.

That was my first thought. We were a seriously strong side that year with quality throughout and on the bench. Whereas last season the luck was with us and 6th flattered us to a degree, I felt the season prior to that we possibly deserved better with the quality of our football.

If this team proves better than two years back we will go up as the likes of Upson, Bridcutt, Hammond, Barnes, Vokes & Buckley are all playing Premier League and we also had Bruno, Kuczack, Vicente, Orlandi, Crofts, Lopez & Bridge with serious top level experience and a natural goal scorer in Ulloa.

Exciting times though and I'll look forward to seeing how this season develops, lets just hope we avoid serious injuries and the players gel.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Unfortunately NSC is polluted by idiots, what about the team of 2 seasons ago ? That was far stronger than this one

The point that's being made is not about the team, but the squad as a whole. Do you think that season's squad was as strong as this one's now is?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
This one is not that strong, Ankergren back up goalie for one, Chicksen as back up left back is another

Ankergren was the back-up in that season as well and who did we have as cover for left back? Marcos Painter, most recently of Portsmouth. He was decent, but Chicksen can become a much better player imo.

However, as Husty said above, this side is largely unproven, so I'll be reserving judgement on its overall merit compared to other seasons until later in the campaign.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Ankergren was the back-up in that season as well and who did we have as cover for left back? Marcos Painter, most recently of Portsmouth. He was decent, but Chicksen can become a much better player imo.

However, as Husty said above, this side is largely unproven, so I'll be reserving judgement on its overall merit compared to other seasons until later in the campaign.

Exactly, you can only judge a team/squad by what they ACHIEVE

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I've written down my 1st XI and 7 subs and Toko, McCourt, JFC and Agustien are struggling to make the bench. This is the best 22 I think we've ever had, although it remains to be seen whether Sami can make this work.

I've not been this excited about an Albion line-up since the days of early Ulloa and cuffing Palace at the Amex. Whatever happens the board deserve a lot of credit for assembling this squad and still having transfer kitty from Ulloa left over.

"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence".

I with you brother

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton

Chicksen is already better than painter. Not the finished article but had a great second half at Swindon.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here