Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
4430556.jpg
Is he a taxi?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It just shows how many idiots there are on this board. The bed wetting this Summer has been absolutely pathetic, even worse than usual. I'd like to think they'd think "hmm, perhaps I was a little silly there", but I'm sure they won't, and we'll be back to the same old pathetic whining next Summer, as exactly the same situation unfolds again, just like it has every single Summer since we moved to the Amex and became a proper football club again.

Ernest, Mutts Nuts etc, how do you feel about things now? Silly? Stupid? Oh let me guess, it was actually a 'joke'.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Honestly, if I was Burke and you said that to me I'd tell you **** off and stick your fickle support right up your arse and, in January, just shut the **** up and wait and see what happens eh?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It just shows how many idiots there are on this board. The bed wetting this Summer has been absolutely pathetic, even worse than usual. I'd like to think they'd think "hmm, perhaps I was a little silly there", but I'm sure they won't, and we'll be back to the same old pathetic whining next Summer, as exactly the same situation unfolds again, just like it has every single Summer since we moved to the Amex and became a proper football club again.

Ernest, Mutts Nuts etc, how do you feel about things now? Silly? Stupid? Oh let me guess, it was actually a 'joke'.

Sorry Commander (not stalking you!!). But surely, you would accept that to give Sami a chance ideally the majority of business would have been done prior to the season starting.

I still feel the LB situation was disappointing and having seen how good Holla is, I just wish we could have got hi sooner..... I wonder if those first two games may come back to haunt us.

All of that said, the club has consistently stated about being judged on 1st September, and there can be no doubt that it is all coming together nicely.....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
First 5 signings - one 1st XI player (Stockdale).
Last 6 signing - all 1st XI players (Bennett, Holla, Teixeira, Gardner, Baldock, Colunga).

Amazing turnaround.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tony said we would have a competitive squad by the end of the transfer window.

Now we'll be going to the opposite extreme and telling him to calm down a bit...

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I did have my doubts I will admit it, but I think the quality of most of these signings is pretty high. Think COG may be the one we made a mistake on but Bloom promised us signings and he was true to his word.

I will now be eating my hat for tea for my penanace!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sorry Commander (not stalking you!!). But surely, you would accept that to give Sami a chance ideally the majority of business would have been done prior to the season starting.

I still feel the LB situation was disappointing and having seen how good Holla is, I just wish we could have got hi sooner..... I wonder if those first two games may come back to haunt us.

All of that said, the club has consistently stated about being judged on 1st September, and there can be no doubt that it is all coming together nicely.....

Yes of course that would be preferable. But that's the way the system works because of the transfer window. It's the same every Summer. How many other Championship clubs do you think had their completed squads in place at the end of July? I'd wager none.

Think about it this way: if you are a club with aspirations of promotion to the Premier League, then the calibre of players you need to sign are ones that could potentially play at that level, yes? Now imagine you are a player who has the ability to play at Premier League level. Why would you sign for a Championship club in June or July? You wouldn't. If you had a chance of playing in the Premier League then you'd hold out for it until as late as possible, until you'd finally accepted that you needed to drop to Championship level this year. Which is why so many deals are done in the last week of the window.

The way people talk on here sometimes is like the club are sat around twiddling their thumbs thinking 'no need to worry now, we'll just get some players once the season starts'. It's an utterly ridiculous concept- people seem to think that to sign a player we call up the club on the day, make an offer, get it accepted and get him in. It takes months of negotiations to get that player, it doesn't all happen on the day! And the flurry of activity on deadline day is mainly clubs tying up deals that have been going on since the end of last season, not clubs just making spur of the moment purchases.

Until the transfer window system changes and shuts on the first day of the season, it will always be like this in the Championship.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

All very well in theory but clearly we tried very hard but would not be ripped off by Ward (or Clayton) who ultimately went elsewhere for more money. I quite like the thought that we will not flinch under such pressure and have eventually signed decent alternatives in Bennett and Holla. They may not have been our first choices but made very decent first impressions. Given our transfer activity (and all ahead of the deadline) its now time to move on and support the squad we now have. It doesn't look too shabby.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wow, it's really feast or famine on here, isn't it? We've certainly got a lot of players now. But we'll only be able to judge the success or otherwise of the club's efforts during this transfer window (and the next) at the end of the season. We haven't even played against a decent team yet ...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes of course that would be preferable. But that's the way the system works because of the transfer window. It's the same every Summer. How many other Championship clubs do you think had their completed squads in place at the end of July? I'd wager none.

Think about it this way: if you are a club with aspirations of promotion to the Premier League, then the calibre of players you need to sign are ones that could potentially play at that level, yes? Now imagine you are a player who has the ability to play at Premier League level. Why would you sign for a Championship club in June or July? You wouldn't. If you had a chance of playing in the Premier League then you'd hold out for it until as late as possible, until you'd finally accepted that you needed to drop to Championship level this year. Which is why so many deals are done in the last week of the window.

The way people talk on here sometimes is like the club are sat around twiddling their thumbs thinking 'no need to worry now, we'll just get some players once the season starts'. It's an utterly ridiculous concept- people seem to think that to sign a player we call up the club on the day, make an offer, get it accepted and get him in. It takes months of negotiations to get that player, it doesn't all happen on the day! And the flurry of activity on deadline day is mainly clubs tying up deals that have been going on since the end of last season, not clubs just making spur of the moment purchases.

Until the transfer window system changes and shuts on the first day of the season, it will always be like this in the Championship.

Yes, that is ultimately the answer.

I think it would be good for Paul Barber to produce a time-line in the programme, with key points in terms of the transfer process and negotiation. It would probably surprise a few people including myself.

However, the fact remains that at the full-time whistle at Derby we needed a left back, the apparent to-ing and fro-ing that went on with Ward, in different circumstances could have been resolved sooner. If Burnley weren't getting desperate perhaps we'd have sealed the deal perhaps not.

Despite all of this, we are now at a good place. Joe Bennett looked good last week, Holla class, and even for 15 mins Texeirra looked the part at Birmingham, so all is good.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I think it would be good for Paul Barber to produce a time-line in the programme, with key points in terms of the transfer process and negotiation. It would probably surprise a few people including myself.

However, the fact remains that at the full-time whistle at Derby we needed a left back, the apparent to-ing and fro-ing that went on with Ward, in different circumstances could have been resolved sooner. If Burnley weren't getting desperate perhaps we'd have sealed the deal perhaps not.

Despite all of this, we are now at a good place. Joe Bennett looked good last week, Holla class, and even for 15 mins Texeirra looked the part at Birmingham, so all is good.

I don't see how he can do that, I can't imagine any players / agents / clubs would be very happy, they are all confidential negotiations. But yes, it would be very interesting to read.

You can't force someone to sign, who knows what Ward was thinking, but he must have given the impression that he wanted to sign, or we wouldn't have wasted our time. Maybe he used us to get Premier League football, who knows?

Maybe I'm more sympathetic to all this because I work in recruitment, and have first hand experience of how frustrating it is being constantly messed around by people who supposedly want to move jobs. You can't force people to do it, however hard you try, and you never know what their real intentions are until the deal is done. And doing it for professional footballers must be a hundred times worse.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I did have my doubts, but boom, that's us set for a challenge at least.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

You seem to be implying dry nights in January.

You need to think about that, we'll be right back here in 4 months time :down:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

I'm sure there are a few Chairmen and CEOs who would love to do an expose on how football transfer deals work (or many more that fail). I suspect the whims of players and the leverage that players agents create would astound us. The Grabban and Ward sagas would just be the tip of the iceberg. I'm grateful that we have Bloom, Barber and Burke to do the wheeling and dealing - we won't be played for mugs and won't indulge in panic buying either.

I for one will enjoy the countdown as the transfer window closes, knowing that we have already completed our main business. If anything else happens now (or in the loan window) it will be a nice bonus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here