Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jake Forster-Caskey: The New Ashley Barnes?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
He seems to have divided opinion among fans in the same way that Ashley Barnes did.

As was the case with Barnes, JFC has qualities and attributes that managers appreciate but many fans don’t.

Should we accept that the manager knows best and that JFC will continue to be a fixture in the side?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
For me he reminds me of Cleverley at United. He makes himself available but always then seems to want to play a short easy sideways or backward pass. Maybe that is what he has been instructed to do especially as he seems to be playing deeper than his preferred position. The problem is he is also prone to making silly tackles and giving away free kicks in dangerous areas which would be less of an issue if he was further forward.

I think he is just covering the deep position until others become fit or are brought in and then he will not be a first team regular. It really appears as if he hasn't really developed as expected in the last couple of years but again maybe that is not his fault. Would like to see him go out on loan to a really decent L1 side, like Swindon, and come back more mature and ready for Championship football.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The problem is, too many people listened to other peoples opinions on him without forming their own. I.e he is the next big thing and will be an unreal talent. then when it has come to producing the same people have then decided that he is nowhere good enough as he isnt living up to the hype that was formed about him.

In truth he is somewhere in the middle, he isnt Prem worthy, neither is he shit and needs to be farmed out on loan, he is somewhere in the middle and he is still developing. I watched a lot of him, sham and Solly in the youth team and under 18s and JFC was the best in that age group by a mile, always demaned the ball and controlled play, I think the senior game has seen him lose some of his arrogance on the pitch which he needs to get back. in addition to this, he is not the quickest or strongest of players so everything he does do needs to be with the bal, which currently is very neat and tidy.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He seems to have divided opinion among fans in the same way that Ashley Barnes did.

As was the case with Barnes, JFC has qualities and attributes that managers appreciate but many fans don’t.

Should we accept that the manager knows best and that JFC will continue to be a fixture in the side?

Once McCourt, Gardner, and Holla get settled, Toko and March get properly fit, with Ince, Agustien and Crofts to find form, if he doesn't get in the side, should we accept he is a decent option when everyone else is injured but isn't (yet) good enough to force his way into a team that has options? Gus barely used him, Oscar didn't use JFC when everyone was fit unfortunately he had a lot of injuries and unavailable players (Orlandi, Bridcutt, Buckley, LuaLua, Conway, Stephens, Lopez, Agustien, Crofts, Andrews were all injured or unavailable for a lot of games, most coinciding with JFC appearing in the team) to deal with so JFC managed to get a decent run of games.

We should learn from the Barnes split, and instead of each side becoming too invested in their own position, thus exacerbating the split, everyone should take a step back and accept he has positives and negatives. That people who support him shouldn't ignore his flaws just to feel like they are better supporters getting behind the team, those that criticise him shouldn't ignore his positive attributes so they can convince themselves they know more about football and can recognise talent or lack there of in someone before they are the finished article.

We need to stop rushing to make every disagreement about a player's performance/value to the team fit into a messageboard narrative.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
When he broke into the side, under Gus Poyet, he was a box-to-box midfielder with an eye for goal. We all remember his outstanding performance, in January 2012, against Southampton.

Oscar Garcia had him playing a more defensive role.

His role under Sami Hyypia seems to be to act as a link between the midfield and the strikers, in a more advanced position.

I have the impression that, though other midfielders will sit out games, as Hyypia rotates the squad, JFC will be a fixture in the side.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding

He can't be the new Ashley Barnes, he has a 100% penalty conversion record.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think he's shown signs of improvement this season. In my opinion, he appears to be taking more responsibility, he wants the ball more, he's tried to drive the team on a bit more. I guess that comes with playing games and being more comfortable in the first team enviroment.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's a key role that is always filled, like the villain at a panto. I can't explain why, but in any team at any time, we have the pantomime villain that the fans get on the back of. Whether it's Wendy Wilkins, Ashley Barnes, or now it would seem JFC, every team has one, and when the player leaves, the mantle is passed onto another unfortunate soul.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here