Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the BPL the best league in the world

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
There is little I hate more, than the Premier league being referred to as the 'EPL' or 'BPL'
Not sure why, but it is just one of those 'Americanisms I F****** hate.

Sorry carry on....

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Is it the most competitive big league in the world? In my opinion... yes.

Spain have the big there, but look past those and there's not a great deal more really. Germany and Italy have one or two teams but again, not that much more quality.

Here in the UK, there are very few 'freebie/gimmie' games for the big teams. Any team has the capability of beating any other team.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Not even close!

A league with a small elite group who win everything, a couple of wannabe pretenders and half a league of also-rans just there to fill out the field.

Virtually all, but the elites, are losing money hand over fist despite the huge TV income.

The elite clubs buying up the best English youth prospects and virtually paying them not to play and instead filling their squads with foreign, superstar, prima donnas.

Followed by a bunch of armchair fans who have never set foot inside "their" club's home city, never mind their own stadium.

"Best League in the World" - f*ck off!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
No, I don't reckon that Barnsley Premier Leisure is the best league in the world.
http://bpl.org.uk/

There's NOTHING British about the Premier League. Plenty British about Barnsley Premier Leisure though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I guess you need to see what there is to compare it with. The Spanish League is governend by just 2 giants even though Atletico confounded everyone last season, look further down La Liga and what have you got that you could consider top sides? The German league is much lauded but in the end is a one horse race, Affentennis Liga? In Italy the standard seems to have dropped over the past 10 years or so, but several teams are often regarded with much affection. The EPL has historically been dominated not by one or two teams, but by three, United, Chelsea & Arsenal. In addition, teams like Liverpool & City are in the ascendancy, and clubs like Spurs & Everton are not mere bystanders. I personally think, on reflection, the Premier League is probably the best in the world based on the glamour, the calibre and the spread of the quality. In reality, should the question be asked, what is the most competetive league? In which case I doubt the EPL, La Liga or Bundesliga would come anywhere close to being the best.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
If by 'best' you mean quality of football, then no, no it's not.

People saying about a lack of quality lower down in the Spanish league and how it's only in England that 'anyone can beat anyone' are rather misguided to say the least.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Not even close!

A league with a small elite group who win everything, a couple of wannabe pretenders and half a league of also-rans just there to fill out the field.

Virtually all, but the elites, are losing money hand over fist despite the huge TV income.

The elite clubs buying up the best English youth prospects and virtually paying them not to play and instead filling their squads with foreign, superstar, prima donnas.

Followed by a bunch of armchair fans who have never set foot inside "their" club's home city, never mind their own stadium.

"Best League in the World" - f*ck off!

This is exactly how I feel.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If by 'best' you mean quality of football, then no, no it's not.

People saying about a lack of quality lower down in the Spanish league and how it's only in England that 'anyone can beat anyone' are rather misguided to say the least.

There was 17 points between 3rd & 4th in La Liga last season, there was 17 points between 3rd and 7th in the Premier League. The chasm in La Liga is greater than in England, I think the "anyone can beat anyone" statement in the EPL stands up.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Whats' the BPL?? Does he mean EPL??

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
There was 17 points between 3rd & 4th in La Liga last season, there was 17 points between 3rd and 7th in the Premier League. The chasm in La Liga is greater than in England, I think the "anyone can beat anyone" statement in the EPL stands up.

17pts between 3rd and 14th in the SBC

SBC - by far the most competitive league

any body can beat anybody

Dec 29, 2011
Why the hate for BPL? The Barclay's Premier League. It's not ****ing rocket science. Just the same way some people call it the Prem, some call it the PL.

Oh, and EPL doesn't work because it's not an English league (Swansea, Cardiff etc)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here