Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joao Teixeira in todays DM

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I'm sure this little fact may crop up time & time again:

"It was slightly surprising that he'd make the jump to the Championship, given he was unable to break into Brentford's League One promotion team last season. But he's grabbed the opportunity already."

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
A fantastic start for us, surprised he couldn't get into the Brentford team.

Still will be hard for him to get into the Liverpool side, some Liverpool fans think he has found his level with us, but I don't think though we stand any long term chance of keeping him!

Long may his goals and excitement continue,

:ascarf:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He only couldn't get in the Brentford team because at the time they were struggling and the manager felt he couldn't afford to play the type of football that would suit Teixeira. Nothing to do with a perceived lack of quality.

He only couldn't get in the Brentford team because at the time they were struggling and the manager felt he couldn't afford to play the type of football that would suit Teixeira. Nothing to do with a perceived lack of quality.

Both those things were not true, Brentford played very decent football at the right end of the table. Looks like a simple error by Rosler, but it has to be said young loan players will find it harder to break into teams that are doing well rather than ones in need of an overhaul, like ours

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003

That's not true, watched Brentford plenty and he just couldn't break into their side. They played a kind've 4-5-1 system and with Forshaw and Saville playing attacking/centre midfield, Douglas and Judge in defensive midfield they just didn't have anywhere for Joao to play. He made a couple of sub appearances that I saw and didn't really gel into their well drilled system. Their strikers, Trotta and Donaldson scored plenty, but Donaldson usually played out wide and Trotta drifted back. He just couldn't establish himself against players in cracking form. He's a year older, looks to have a bit more strength about himself, whereas as Brentford he genuinely looked lightweight and got pushed off the ball a fair bit. I guess it's one of those things he's chalked up to experience and is determined not to let it happen again with us.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Both those things were not true, Brentford played very decent football at the right end of the table. Looks like a simple error by Rosler, but it has to be said young loan players will find it harder to break into teams that are doing well rather than ones in need of an overhaul, like ours

Ok. I should have said "struggling to achieve their goals at that point" then. They were mid table rather than among the front runners and this is what Rosler said at the time:

"Joao came to us at an unfortunate time," he said. "We do not have the same flow to our game as we did in pre-season or at the start of the season.

"Our game is out of rhythm, put it that way, but it will come again. It is difficult for a player like Joao to show us his true potential in that situation.

"I didn't want him to get frustrated. It is not about Joao's qualities, it is the situation.

"The player has gone back and we will concentrate on what we have. We have enough midfield players, we won't replace him."

That's not true, watched Brentford plenty and he just couldn't break into their side. They played a kind've 4-5-1 system and with Forshaw and Saville playing attacking/centre midfield, Douglas and Judge in defensive midfield they just didn't have anywhere for Joao to play. He made a couple of sub appearances that I saw and didn't really gel into their well drilled system. Their strikers, Trotta and Donaldson scored plenty, but Donaldson usually played out wide and Trotta drifted back. He just couldn't establish himself against players in cracking form. He's a year older, looks to have a bit more strength about himself, whereas as Brentford he genuinely looked lightweight and got pushed off the ball a fair bit. I guess it's one of those things he's chalked up to experience and is determined not to let it happen again with us.

Quite - but I still think he's miles better than Forshaw and Saville! 12 months ago though, fair enough

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Quite - but I still think he's miles better than Forshaw and Saville! 12 months ago though, fair enough

I like Forshaw, great little box to box player and whilst nowhere near techincally gifted as Joao, he's still young and learning and a eye for goal. Scored some beauties in the last couple of seasons. I'd be happy to see him at the Albion.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
2 games doesn't give anyone the RIGHT to form an opinion, let's see how he adapts when the weather gets cold and he is being BOOTED around at places like Huddersfield

Is Huddersfield any worse than Leeds. Once they realised what a threat he was, 3 players were kicking lumps out of him, which is why we got the free kick that LuaLua scored.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I like Forshaw, great little box to box player and whilst nowhere near techincally gifted as Joao, he's still young and learning and a eye for goal. Scored some beauties in the last couple of seasons. I'd be happy to see him at the Albion.

Was about to sign for Wigan I think, or so I recall seeing yesterday. No idea if it's gone through or not.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Was about to sign for Wigan I think, or so I recall seeing yesterday. No idea if it's gone through or not.

I saw that though it's gone a little quiet after Brentford did the obligatory "not for sale" press release. Wigan would make sense for him though, good step up, manager he knows and close to his family again in Liverpool. Gutted I can't make the away game at Brentford, would love to see Joao tear them apart.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here