Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2.6% of UK population could break up the Union...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its a crazy situation. I blame Labour for allowing them to have their own parliament in the first place.

If the Scots vote yes, the rest of the UK needs a vote to decide also...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Nah sod em. Does anybody actually like Scotland anyway? They'll be up shit creek if they do leave the union anyway, let them do it :thumbsup:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Scotland is quite big on the map considering its small population. Most of them move south anyway, a bit like most of the Irish emigrate here or the USA.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Scotland is quite big on the map considering its small population. Most of them move south anyway, a bit like most of the Irish emigrate here or the USA.

A whole lot more will move south if there is a YES vote. Can't see many from the rest of Union moving north

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What you are effectively saying is that they are such a minority that the majority should be able to force them to be part of the Union whether they like it or not.

A union is supposed to be a voluntary arrangement, you can't have a union by force. Freedom means being part of something if you want to, and not being part of it if you don't.

You could also look at these statistics another way, after the Union is "broken up", 97.3% of it will remain.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
So by your logic Britain shouldn't be allowed to hold a referendum on EU membership?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What you are effectively saying is that they are such a minority that the majority should be able to force them to be part of the Union whether they like it or not.

A union is supposed to be a voluntary arrangement, you can't have a union by force. Freedom means being part of something if you want to, and not being part of it if you don't.

You could also look at these statistics another way, after the Union is "broken up", 97.3% of it will remain.

As far as I'm concerned Scotland has about as much right to leave as Cornwall. If we hadn't gone down the devolution route we would never have got ourselves into this crazy situation.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
As far as I'm concerned Scotland has about as much right to leave as Cornwall. If we hadn't gone down the devolution route we would never have got ourselves into this crazy situation.

Well you aren't talking about a union then.

Yoda

English & European
What I find crazy is that Scots living in the rest of the UK are not permitted to vote, but those elsewhere are. How is that a fair representation?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
One thing I don't understand, is why do people want to talk about this stuff? Also, why talk about it on what I regard as a football forum? I'm sure there are other more suitable places to discuss politics with like minded people.
Yes I know, I'm not being forced to read this thread, but I've found through other forums I belong to that the quickest way to upset people and cause a shit storm, is to discuss political stuff and religion.
Maybe it's just because I don't understand it all or don't have even a passing interest in the content matter that makes me ignorant or oblivious to what is going on outside my own little world?:shrug:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Will Scots be allowed to work in the Uk without a work visa permit and will Scotland be in the common market. What about the Scots working in the Uk now. Also how many English work and live in Scotland. I believe in the union my ancestors where Scottish but we are so integrated now however we should devolve more power to the Ni Welsh and Scottish parliament that's the answer.

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
Give it a couple of years, and they will want to come back, after they have drunk it all!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What I find crazy is that Scots living in the rest of the UK are not permitted to vote, but those elsewhere are. How is that a fair representation?

The whole thing is broken. What's more WTF are 16 and 17 year olds allowed to vote? Anyone asked CMS about it?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Couple of thoughts...if the Scots leave...does that make us have too many foreign players with CMS and GG.

Also the Labour vote would be decimated...Labour have more Scottish MPs than anyone else...swathes of Scottish voters of Labour live in Scotland...always a puzzle that they can have MPs in the English parliament but we cannot have any English MPs in the Scottish parliament.

And that Alex Salmond is a very naughty boy!

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
i read / heard somewhere that the remainder of the the UK would be £400 per year better off without the Scots...............

and (shhh) if you draw the border line out to sea from Berwick 45% of the oil remains in the english domain............

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Will Berwick Rangers go straight into League two, or will it be the Vanarama Conference for them ?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Couple of thoughts...if the Scots leave...does that make us have too many foreign players with CMS and GG.

I imagine there'll be an exemption like the one that existed pre-EU free movement rules for Irish players; then if Scotland gets in to the EU and the remaining UK doesn't leave it'd become irrelevant anyway - its limits on non-EU players.

Also the Labour vote would be decimated...Labour have more Scottish MPs than anyone else...swathes of Scottish voters of Labour live in Scotland...always a puzzle that they can have MPs in the English parliament but we cannot have any English MPs in the Scottish parliament.

I suspect this might happen even if they vote No - there's definitely a decent number of people who vote SNP for Holyrood and Labour for Westminster but with any further devolution at all while remaining in the UK they may swap to SNP for both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here