Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Picking Sloes (for people of a certain age and sadness)

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Some say I need to get a life, but the excitement of finding the Sloe bush of all Sloe bushes sent a tingle up my spine! 3lbs in 20MINS!! And have made my first litre of sloe gin!

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Nicely done, I made my 1st batch last Christmas and am looking forward to another couple of batches this year. I know the location of roughly 200yds of unbroken sloe bushes down a very isolated path in Suffolk so reckon I can get a good few lbs of sloes! One question though, when best to pick the sloe? Now or later?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think they are a bit early this year. Just had a short break with Mrs V in Somerset and on a walk noticed a burgeoning crop of local Sloes,however, I have branched out in to Raspberry Gin and Blackberry Brandy.Still not attempted Rhubarb Vodka though.

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Some say after the first frost but as I live in Cornwall that is a rare, so I pick my Sloes when they are dark blue and soft, put them in the freezer for a few days and then go for it.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Nicely done, I made my 1st batch last Christmas and am looking forward to another couple of batches this year. I know the location of roughly 200yds of unbroken sloe bushes down a very isolated path in Suffolk so reckon I can get a good few lbs of sloes! One question though, when best to pick the sloe? Now or later?

I won't be picking them until after the first frost.

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
I make sloe whiskey, just substitute the gin for own brand whiskey and the sugar with honey, make it now ready for Christmas.

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
Is anyone happy to let on the location of any sloe bushes in East Sussex area? I'm guessing it is an often closely guarded secret but I'd love to start making my own rather than let my mother in law get all the credit for the annual sloe gin fest at Christmas.

The Bun Elephant

Feb 16, 2010
Sussex By The Sea
Is anyone happy to let on the location of any sloe bushes in East Sussex area? I'm guessing it is an often closely guarded secret but I'd love to start making my own rather than let my mother in law get all the credit for the annual sloe gin fest at Christmas.

Where about's are you .... Seen a few bushes whilst out and about dog walking ( just outside Brighton) that have sloes and damson tree as well if your into jams

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Plenty in the Cuckmere Valley, Seaford Head golf-course has a lot.

A bit surprised that they are ready so early, wondering if there is some confusion wth damsons. The latter make better gin and the advantage is you can eat them afterwards, really good in jellies and trifles.

Sloes can be recycled after beeing steeped in gin, recommended is to put into really rough red wine and leave for a few weeks. The wine magically transforms into a kind of fortified sherry...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They make great wine too. 100 times cheaper than sloe gin.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Didn't have any Gin so I used Vodka. Don't.

Plenty in the Cuckmere Valley, Seaford Head golf-course has a lot.

A bit surprised that they are ready so early, wondering if there is some confusion wth damsons.
Or bullaces. We have both sloes and bullaces out our way and they look very similar. Check the difference by tasting. If it is utterly repellent, it's a sloe. But that won't detract from the fact that, after a few weeks steeped in sugary gin, sloes are utterly transformed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here