Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

redesigning english football

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
The whole of English football seems designed for the benefit of a few rich owners. If I were King over all the lands this is what I would do

1. Create two divisions of a European league. This would take say the top 6 clubs out of English football
2. restrict each club to 25 contracted players
3. no loan system
4. transfer windows end on first day of season
5. Europa league for the rest of the clubs apart from those in European League
6. semi finalists of Europa league replace bottom 4 clubs in European League the following season

Simples!

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
1. What about the travelling supporters?
2. What about injuries?

ALL other teams in Europa league or just prem level clubs?

You haven't understood ! All the rest of the clubs would play in the current football league and play to earn Europa league positions just as they do now

You have 25 players to cover injuries - that is plenty

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The whole of English football seems designed for the benefit of a few rich owners. If I were King over all the lands this is what I would do

1. Create two divisions of a European league. This would take say the top 6 clubs out of English football
3. no loan system
4. transfer windows end on first day of season
5. Europa league for the rest of the clubs apart from those in European League
6. semi finalists of Europa league replace bottom 4 clubs in European League the following season

Simples!

I am glad you're not working for me but also saddened that your career remains destined to be completely free of the need to make decisions of any worth

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I would like to see the professional leagues extended to 100 teams over five equal sized divisions with four promotion places and four relegation.

More controversially I'd also propose giving the fa AND the league cup winners a champions league place to make them more competitive, if a top two team wins a cup it goes to the next placed team.

I'd also like to see something slightly more competitive for pre season games. Something like the emirates cup but with a draw taking one team from each division. Perhaps taking place over 10 days in July with venues being decided between drawn clubs, clubs play in the summer anyway why not make it more attractive to fans and perhaps televise them on terrestrial tv.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I am glad you're not working for me but also saddened that your career remains destined to be completely free of the need to make decisions of any worth

I am always intrigued by what motivates a person to make vituperative comments to a person they don't know about a trivial subject that should not engage any real passions. I suppose it is the same with all social media - trolls etc. It points to something, I'm not sure what, but it certainly isn't very encouraging about the state of humanity!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The transfer window should just be done away with.
Players should wear shirts numbered 1-11 on match days.
The one substitute should be 12
The European Cup should be for league winners only, and should be an unseeded knockout competition.
Another European Cup for domestic cup winners should be run on the same lines.
Parachute payments abolished.
Relegation should automatically follow administration.

Pigs should fly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
from the "solutions" so far, its clear theres no understanding or concensus of what the problems are.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Football players should be treated the same as any other employee...Get sacked for under performing,should recieve no wages until their contract expires.

D

Deleted member 18477

52% (13 of 25) of squads should have to be of the nationality of that league.

Loans should not be allowed to teams in same division. A team can only loan out 3 players max per season!

Semi finals of the FA Cup should not be at Wembley.

Champions League should be unseeded knockout. No groups.

Europa League should be called Uefa Cup and be unseeded knockout or better still scrap it and bring back cup winners cup.

Transfer window should close day before first game of the season and the January transfer window should be scrapped.

Administration should force teams to be relegated out the football league back into the conference.

Match day tickets should cost no more than £30 for the 'best seat' in any ground! And away tickets should be capped at £15.

Last edited by a moderator:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Football players should be treated the same as any other employee...Get sacked for under performing,should recieve no wages until their contract expires.

you are clearly not upto date with modern employment law, where neither of these things happen.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
you are clearly not upto date with modern employment law, where neither of these things happen.
Thought it was a discussion on redesigning ?
Many football players are pampered and get away with murder...Just stating that they can put no effort in and take the piss while collecting a ridiculous amount of money,this irates fans.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

1. Create two divisions of a European league. This would take say the top 6 clubs out of English football (alas, causing a huge loss in important revenue)
3. no loan system (Would affect lower league sides and stunt the development of a lot of players)
4. transfer windows end on first day of season (Again, affects lower league teams who may lose out on important revenue, also it means an opportunity to sell players that are out of contract come the summer)
5. Europa league for the rest of the clubs apart from those in European League (More in the Europa League ?)
6. semi finalists of Europa league replace bottom 4 clubs in European League the following season (By country, or indiscriminate ?)

Simples!

1. Create two divisions of a European league. This would take say the top 6 clubs out of English football (Alas, causing a huge loss in important revenue)
2. restrict each club to 25 contracted players (I'm not sure how the present system works with squad numbers)
3. no loan system (Would affect lower league sides and stunt the development of a lot of players)
4. transfer windows end on first day of season (Again, affects lower league teams who may lose out on important revenue, also it means an opportunity to sell players that are out of contract come the summer)
5. Europa league for the rest of the clubs apart from those in European League (More in the Europa League ?)
6. semi finalists of Europa league replace bottom 4 clubs in European League the following season (By country, or indiscriminate ?)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Parachute payments abolished. That would force Premier League clubs to budget sensibly and sustainably, and would level the playing field in the Championship. It might also mean less overspending on foreign mediocrities at the expense of developing local talent.

Play-offs to be between the three (not four) clubs finishing behind those automatically promoted, along with the team in the division above finishing in the highest relegation place (18th in the PL, 22nd in the Championship etc). If a team really thinks it is too good to go down, then it has a chance to prove it.

Three up automatically from the Conference and one play-off place.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Here's my thoughts

1) Get rid of January transfer windows
2) Make it a rule that Clubs have to have at least 3 English players in their starting 11
3) Expand the premier league to 22 teams (easier for smaller teams to compete)
4) Make the Championship part of the Premier League, which would make it one of the wealthiest 2nd tier leagues in the world and also bring in more revenue to clubs
5) Make the Conference Premier part of the Football League, as it is full of former league clubs and also to replace the Championship.
6) Make FFP fines large enough to Impact rich clubs
You'll all disagree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here