Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peter Capaldi's Doctor Who Debut

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I thought he was a perfect fit. But then again I'm an older fan.

Thoughts ?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Was out but going to catch up with it tomorrow. I too favour the older doctor being older myself.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I liked him a lot, but thought the episode itself was a bit 'meh'.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Capaldi is going to be great. Enjoyed last night's episode but more of an introduction than a story as such. Enjoyable with some cracking moments but no classic.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Similar to previous series, excellent, charismatic Doctor, average episode.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There has been some suggestions that using the old Doctor to encourage Carla to accept the new incarnation was not needed. I differed on this one, as I felt she was sensibly being used as replication of the younger fans who are used to a different type of character. I think the writer was correct to include that scene.

Mar 2, 2014
I don't understand how a grown adult with anything more than ordinary intelligence can stomach watching a programme so miserably watered down since the departure of Christopher Ecclestone, it's now purely a children's programme.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I don't understand how a grown adult with anything more than ordinary intelligence can stomach watching a programme so miserably watered down since the departure of Christopher Ecclestone, it's now purely a children's programme.

So you liked it then?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I liked the series with Christopher Ecclestone and the first two series with David Tennant, but after that it became a bit more childish and it seems to still be that way judging by last nights episode, I thought Capaldi was good though.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
thats an hour and twenty minutes I will never get back
it was shyte

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

Seriously?

Regardless of the quality or success of the episode in question, I'm can't believe that the themes on display would be appreciable to young audiences. The show always has kids elements thrown in (oh look, a dinosaur flying through space), but this episode had subtleties that the Davies era didn't get close to.

Similarly, much as it had its problems, runs like series 6 were far more complicated, and dealt wi far more complex sci fi ideas, than the show did in its Ecclestone/Tennant runs. There have been many episodes of the Moffatt era where I am genuinely mystified as to how kids can engage with it.

Enjoyed this episode a lot. Can't wait to see how Capaldi develops into the role over the next few weeks.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It was amazing. Capaldi is going to be superb. I loved the pacing, much more slowed down and less of a nonsensical light show. The Capaldi era is sure to be a classic. 10/10.

One slight criticism, the new theme music was rubbish.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
There has been some suggestions that using the old Doctor to encourage Carla to accept the new incarnation was not needed. I differed on this one, as I felt she was sensibly being used as replication of the younger fans who are used to a different type of character. I think the writer was correct to include that scene.

Have you ever kissed a girl ?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was amazing. Capaldi is going to be superb. I loved the pacing, much more slowed down and less of a nonsensical light show. The Capaldi era is sure to be a classic. 10/10.

One slight criticism, the new theme music was rubbish.

Yes, I don't think that music will grow on us either. Capaldi made an impressive debut.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wasn't keen on the steam punk graphics on titles, all a bit passé now . In fact I didn't rate it much at all but Capaldi might turn out alright.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Utter gash of the highest order. I can't quite believe that Capaldi truly wanted that role.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Thought Capaldi was great and quite reminiscent of Tom Baker. Thought the episode (last fifteen minutes or so aside) was pretty terrible. And I didn't like the new OP at all :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here