Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Electricians here? (Need wall light switch replacing)

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Anyone got a recommendation (or indeed, is one) for a good sparky to replace a broken wall light switch? It's part of a loop (it's got yellow, red and blue wires going into the switches) that work the hall and landing lights. One of the plastic switches broke off so I took it off the wall and realised my hobbyist electronics weren't going to help...

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Its not part of a loop its two way wiring, I'm to far away to help out but shouldn't cost you much to repair, any decent sparks will have it replaced in 5-10 mins max.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Its not part of a loop its two way wiring, I'm to far away to help out but shouldn't cost you much to repair, any decent sparks will have it replaced in 5-10 mins max.

Same here. Yes two way lighting. After purchasing a new SINGLE GANG TWO WAY SWITCH, just remove the fuse at the distribution board (if old fuseboard) or turn off the breaker so the light that the switch is working is not live, then take one wire out at a time from the old switch and put the wire in the same terminal on the new switch......or you could take out all three cables after making a quick sketch of there positions.
Screw back new switch and replace (or turn on breaker in board).

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Same here. Yes two way lighting. After purchasing a new SINGLE GANG TWO WAY SWITCH, just remove the fuse at the distribution board (if old fuseboard) or turn off the breaker so the light that the switch is working is not live, then take one wire out at a time from the old switch and put the wire in the same terminal on the new switch......or you could take out all three cables after making a quick sketch of there positions.
Screw back new switch and replace (or turn on breaker in board).

It's currently 3 switches, I bought a replacement one but the terminals seem different. The current switch has 3 'A' style terminals with the red at the bottom and yellow and blue at the top. The one I have bought has a common L1 L2 etc stamped on the rear of it.

Are you talking about something like this?

http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/lighti...ight-switches/single-gang-2-way-light-switch/

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It's currently 3 switches, I bought a replacement one but the terminals seem different. The current switch has 3 'A' style terminals with the red at the bottom and yellow and blue at the top. The one I have bought has a common L1 L2 etc stamped on the rear of it.

Are you talking about something like this?

http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/lighti...ight-switches/single-gang-2-way-light-switch/

Ok, well it seems your red is the COMMON in the old switch. so put the RED in the COMMON and the blue and yellow are L1 & L2.

If i lived nearer i would replace it for you no charge, hopefully if you can not do it yourself then a sparks near you will oblige.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Ok, well it seems your red is the COMMON in the old switch. so put the RED in the COMMON and the blue and yellow are L1 & L2.

With my knowledge of hobby electronics (i.e 12v tinkering) I was looking for +12V and an earth... is that now how it works in these systems? I.e what lines would bring 240V to the switch and what lines should they touch potentially involve me being a little bit crispy...

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
With my knowledge of hobby electronics (i.e 12v tinkering) I was looking for +12V and an earth... is that now how it works in these systems? I.e what lines would bring 240V to the switch and what lines should they touch potentially involve me being a little bit crispy...

Surely soulman just explained what you need to do?

Did you think the supply voltage in your house was 12v?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Depends which position the switch is in to what wires will be 240v, make sure that the circuit is dead by removing or switching off the fuse/circuit breaker (mcb) and it does not matter as none of the wires will be live.
Connect the Red in the Common (C) and the yellow and blue in L1 & L2 . No chance of being crispy :D if the lighting circuit is turned OFF at the fuseboard whilst changing the switch. If you are really worried then turn the WHOLE board OFF by the MAIN switch on the fuseboard......then remember to reset all clocks afterwards.

Last edited:

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Surely soulman just explained what you need to do?

Did you think the supply voltage in your house was 12v?

Of course not, I half expected a switch across 240V and an earth going straight through, hence my hobby electronics knowledge wasn't good. And yes, he has so I will give it a go later.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Of course not, I half expected a switch across 240V and an earth going straight through, hence my hobby electronics knowledge wasn't good. And yes, he has so I will give it a go later.

It will be ok, just make sure the wires are properly tightened up in the terminals before re fixing the switch to the wall. Do the job in the daylight as well for obvious reasons.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

If in doubt always consult a qualified electrician or get them to do it.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I thought you were taking advice from [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] :whistle:

I'm pretty confident that if the wires are put in the terminals iv'e stated.....then it will work because the RED is being used as the Common in this situation.
Worse case scenario is that the switch will not act as a two way....either the switch will do nothing unless the other switch that is part of the two way is in a certain position....then just two wires would need to be swopped......in this case i'm confident this will not happen.
I tried to keep it simple so as not to confuse, as there is no neutral down at a switch there is no chance of a short circuit or blowing the fuse, unlike up at the ceiling rose where there are neutrals.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If in doubt always consult a qualified electrician or get them to do it.

Which is what I am doing here...

I'm pretty confident that if the wires are put in the terminals iv'e stated.....then it will work because the RED is being used as the Common in this situation.
Worse case scenario is that the switch will not act as a two way....either the switch will do nothing unless the other switch that is part of the two way is in a certain position....then just two wires would need to be swopped......in this case i'm confident this will not happen.
I tried to keep it simple so as not to confuse, as there is no neutral down at a switch there is no chance of a short circuit or blowing the fuse, unlike up at the ceiling rose where there are neutrals.

I know you are doing your best, and you know what you are talking about.
You could have got over there and done the job in the time it's taken for you to explain. :thumbsup:

Even though I have done some electrics and learned about electrics as part of my plumbing training, I get a sparky I know to do any electrical work in my house, he has the job done while I'm still thinking about it.

I would never recommend DIY electrics.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

image.jpg

Noooooooo:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here