Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Accepting I'm old and pedantic I still felt it was a ridiculous decision by the ref about 20 mins(?) in when he acknowledged the Bolton player had not taken the throwing from the right place, in fact about 10-15 metres further forward, and then gestured to him to take it from the right place next time, isn't that a foul throw and didn't that lead to the goal?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Don't remember if it led to the goal. I think it was JFCs' needless challenge that caused the free-kick.

Thought the ref had a good game.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Not criticising his whole performance, just this. It frustrates me that a free kick in a meaningless area is sometimes retaken for being a few feet away from the correct position and yet here's an official saying you took it from the wrong place don't do it again, seems a little inconsistent as is a foul throw.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
The ref was ok.My main gripe with refs,in general,is the failure to deal with time wasting.Whether it's the opposition or Albion players it really does my nut in! I would like to see more yellows dished out.I can recall one game at the Amex when the ref did this and the oppo player got a second yellow later on in the game .cant dredge up what game it was now but if this was consistently applied we as fans might see the ball in play for much more of the game.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Bolton were timewasting from the minute they scored, but for some reason, referees never seem to add it on in her first half. I was slightly surprised he only added four on in the second, given all the substitutions and the goal. But not complaining...

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Accepting I'm old and pedantic I still felt it was a ridiculous decision by the ref about 20 mins(?) in when he acknowledged the Bolton player had not taken the throwing from the right place, in fact about 10-15 metres further forward, and then gestured to him to take it from the right place next time, isn't that a foul throw and didn't that lead to the goal?

you're right, it was a bit strange.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Should have either been re-taken or a foul throw.

There were a couple of other odd things: He waited to see if Bolton would get an advantage from a (I think) CMS foul- Bolton did break forward in a promising way but then he pulled it back anyway. He also had a clear view of a foul on CMS but took ages to give it.

Overall though he did well I thought.

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
Bolton were timewasting from the minute they scored, but for some reason, referees never seem to add it on in her first half. I was slightly surprised he only added four on in the second, given all the substitutions and the goal. But not complaining...
And only three,I think,for the first half despite a lengthy stoppage to deal with notlobs keeper.

SirGully

Jul 26, 2013
Lets take our brighton glasses off for a second, Calde walked across the whole pitch when subbed, if the opposition did this when we were losing we would be going apeshit...

We have a tendancy to blame officials near on every game. According to people on here we've probably never had one good ref/linesman

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
A relatively easy game to handle. There will always be odd decisions which we disagree with but on the whole yesterday's referee let the game flow and was far from the worst we have seen. He got Holla's booking right and we certainly didn't have any Simon (call me Bournemouth) Hooper moments!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Lets take our brighton glasses off for a second, Calde walked across the whole pitch when subbed, if the opposition did this when we were losing we would be going apeshit...

We have a tendancy to blame officials near on every game. According to people on here we've probably never had one good ref/linesman

You're right.

After the game I said to my friend that the ref was awful, not due to him making poor decisions but his lack of decisions and inability to keep the game flowing. It often takes the ref to have a continual input to keep the flow. He allowed it to drift by not geeing up proceedings. In the second half he waited until the ball was about to be thrown in before halting the game for a substitution even though the sub was standing no more than 10 yards from the throw. The time wasting first half and then the injury and the acceptance of sub keeper having a prolonged period to get on the pitch, then only to add 3 minutes.

He also appeared to make up his own rules. warning about taking throw in from the wrong place isn't in the rules, you direct the taker to the correct place, if taken from the wrong place, you reverse the throw. That's the rule. Secondly stopping the game to warn the team captain about time wasting but not taking action against the player, where's that in the rules? It's a bookable offence.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
A throw is never taken from exactly the right place, its just a question as to how much 'approximation' is to be allowed. In my view, for a ref to informally warn a player that he's pushing the boundaries a bit and not to push it, keeps the game flowing and is to be applauded.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
I do recall one game where the ref literally booked anyone who wasted time. He booked one of the oppersition players and then proceeded to book 5 more of their players for arguing.

briref

Aug 12, 2008
I can only remember 1 occasion yesterday when the referee was wrong in law.

Chicksen a 74th minute replacement for Bennett, is not allowed to take the throw in to restart play. (as he has not been involved in active play)

stupid - but true

briref

Aug 12, 2008
You're right.

After the game I said to my friend that the ref was awful, not due to him making poor decisions but his lack of decisions and inability to keep the game flowing. It often takes the ref to have a continual input to keep the flow. He allowed it to drift by not geeing up proceedings. In the second half he waited until the ball was about to be thrown in before halting the game for a substitution even though the sub was standing no more than 10 yards from the throw. The time wasting first half and then the injury and the acceptance of sub keeper having a prolonged period to get on the pitch, then only to add 3 minutes.

He also appeared to make up his own rules. warning about taking throw in from the wrong place isn't in the rules, you direct the taker to the correct place, if taken from the wrong place, you reverse the throw. That's the rule. Secondly stopping the game to warn the team captain about time wasting but not taking action against the player, where's that in the rules? It's a bookable offence.

I guess you are not in a management or supervisor position, it is called man management.
An important skill in life all referee's are encouraged to use instead of dishing out cards left right and center.

I would guess over 90% off throw ins are taken from the wrong place, why are we singling out Mr Scott?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

I'm glad you've brought this up as it's good to be able to discuss a ref without being accused of sour grapes. This was a typical example of weak refereeing - if it had been the opposition, the noise from the home fans would have forced the ref to try and hurry him up. A perfect example of why home advantage makes a difference and why we need to get the atmosphere going. Refs are only human and it DOES make a difference. That said, I thought he had a decent game overall.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
[/B]

I guess you are not in a management or supervisor position, it is called man management.
An important skill in life all referee's are encouraged to use instead of dishing out cards left right and center.

I would guess over 90% off throw ins are taken from the wrong place, why are we singling out Mr Scott?

I suggest you stop guessing as you've written a load of bo**ocks.

I have in my working life been a manager of 2oo plus highly skilled engineers, run/owned over 6 businesses employing loads of people but haho what do I know eh?

The valid point I made was he directed the player to the area he wanted the throw taken, the player ignored this direction, taking the throw some 10 yards on, the ref was still waving him back at that point. He failed to then to implement the rules and switch the throw. Given that he ball went out again he then purposefully told the player where to take it.

An important skill for ref's is to stop infringements.

So with such a condescending post I guess your not use to talking/writing to people in a measured polite way. so f@@k off.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here