Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread full of Folk music

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A couple of my favourites, although I don't claim to have massive knowledge, be interested to hear some of NSC's favourites.

I am an absolute sucker for Sandy Denny's voice, probably my all time favourite female singer.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

My Dad was in folk band for about 30-odd years, their version of this classic was always a highlight.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well if we are going to take this transatlantic Rev

I remember an occasion, back in 1967, when I was involved with running the Sussex University Folk Club, when the booked guest failed to turn up one evening. Whoever it was had sent along a couple of young lads to step in for him. They arrived with the news that "We're the Incredible String Band. Sorry that xxxx can't come, but, if you can put us up for the night, we'll perform for free". And an excellent evening was had.

Providing overnight accommodation in student flats was a regular part of what we did in those days. It was a great way of getting to know people like Martin Carthy, Dave Swarbrick and, indeed, the legendary Sandy Denny.

The folk music scene in Brighton and Lewes was very big back in the sixties and seventies, and pretty much anyone who was anyone performed regularly at venues such as the Stanford Arms, the Springfield and the Lewes Arms. The likes of Ewan MacColl, Peggy Seeger, Arlo Guthrie, performing to audiences of about 50 - 100 people in the upstairs room of a pub ... things just don't happen like that any more.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I remember an occasion, back in 1967, when I was involved with running the Sussex University Folk Club, when the booked guest failed to turn up one evening. Whoever it was had sent along a couple of young lads to step in for him. They arrived with the news that "We're the Incredible String Band. Sorry that xxxx can't come, but, if you can put us up for the night, we'll perform for free". And an excellent evening was had.

Providing overnight accommodation in student flats was a regular part of what we did in those days. It was a great way of getting to know people like Martin Carthy, Dave Swarbrick and, indeed, the legendary Sandy Denny.

The folk music scene in Brighton and Lewes was very big back in the sixties and seventies, and pretty much anyone who was anyone performed regularly at venues such as the Stanford Arms, the Springfield and the Lewes Arms. The likes of Ewan MacColl, Peggy Seeger, Arlo Guthrie, performing to audiences of about 50 - 100 people in the upstairs room of a pub ... things just don't happen like that any more.

*jealous*

Was Sandy Denny as feisty as legend has it?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I always get confused about where the lines lay between folk country bluegrass easy listening.

and my favourite from Inside Llewyn Davis

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills