Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia makes tough calls

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Under Gus and Oscar the one thing I was always slightly disappointed with was the predictability of selection. For instance, you knew that without fail, Dunk wouldn't play unless injury forced him to, Calderon would be dropped at the first opportunity and new signings would walk into the side.

Under Hyypia:

- Dunk kept a clean sheet at Leeds, stays in the team;
- Calderon delivers performances, keeps his place;
- Bruno is better in midfield (so far), plays him there;
- O'Grady and Toko are new signings and get dropped or don't play at all (although I think Toko may be injured.

I'm just really encouraged that Hyypia doesn't appear to be beholden to the status quo. If some doesn't work, he changes it, if it does, he keeps it.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Even though we lost against Wednesday I was impressed with him making attacking substitutions early rather than with only 10 minutes to go.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He was about to bring LuaLua on in the first half yesterday in what was clearly going to be a tactical move to change things round early.

But we scored as this was happening, so he sat down again.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He was about to bring LuaLua on in the first half yesterday in what was clearly going to be a tactical move to change things round early.

Then later, after we had gone ahead, he took off a full-back and brought on an attacking player.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Then later, after we had gone ahead, he took off a full-back and brought on an attacking player.

In fairness to the now oft vilified Oscar, he did much the same quite a few times last season when we were in the lead.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I fairness to the now vilified Oscar, he did much the same quite a few times last season when we were in the lead.

I don't/wouldn't vilify Oscar, and noted several times last year his attacking intent with substitutions. I was happy with his time.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I don't/wouldn't vilify Oscar, and noted several times last year his attacking intent with substitutions. I was happy with his time.

This. The football was dull on occasion, and so was Gus's sometimes, who gave Oscar an incredibly tough act to follow. He won't be remembered as a Brighton great but he was a nice bloke and did very well to get us into the play-offs and I will always be grateful to him for that.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014

I just don't get why Lua Lua was not playing from the start. There was acres of room on the left and poor old Calderon running his legs off on the right! Why do you play journeymen midfielders ( JFC, Crofts) instead of someone that can cause some damage. Take a risk for God's sake! So yes change it but why not, even better, get it right from the start. I believe that both Poyet and Oscar missed promotion by being over cautious. I hope Sammi doesn't do the same

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I just don't get why Lua Lua was not playing from the start. There was acres of room on the left and poor old Calderon running his legs off on the right! Why do you play journeymen midfielders ( JFC, Crofts) instead of someone that can cause some damage. Take a risk for God's sake! So yes change it but why not, even better, get it right from the start. I believe that both Poyet and Oscar missed promotion by being over cautious. I hope Sammi doesn't do the same

Because Lualua is always blowing out of his arse after 60mins. So it's a dilemma, start him when everyone else is fit and the tanks are full, or bring him on with 25mns to go, when he can do some proper damage.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Because Lualua is always blowing out of his arse after 60mins. So it's a dilemma, start him when everyone else is fit and the tanks are full, or bring him on with 25mns to go, when he can do some proper damage.

This.
LuaLua has only got 1 gear. As good as he is, he's most affective for the last 30.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014

If you are right that he can only manage 60 minutes then they ought to have replaced him ages ago. We need an attacking left footed option that can last 90 minutes! That surely is not too much to ask of a professional footballer!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If you are right that he can only manage 60 minutes then they ought to have replaced him ages ago. We need an attacking left footed option that can last 90 minutes! That surely is not too much to ask of a professional footballer!

Depends on your point of view. I think a lot of clubs would be falling over themselves to have a player like Lualua sitting on the bench, who can come on and cause havoc, as he has one dozens of times in his time at the Albion.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted

Bit harsh to call JFC a journeyman

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
He does strike me as being his own man and not afraid to make decisions. I don't think he cares about upsetting people. Early days but encouraging.

Under Gus and Oscar the one thing I was always slightly disappointed with was the predictability of selection. For instance, you knew that without fail, Dunk wouldn't play unless injury forced him to, Calderon would be dropped at the first opportunity and new signings would walk into the side.

Under Hyypia:

- Dunk kept a clean sheet at Leeds, stays in the team;
- Calderon delivers performances, keeps his place;
- Bruno is better in midfield (so far), plays him there;
- O'Grady and Toko are new signings and get dropped or don't play at all (although I think Toko may be injured.

I'm just really encouraged that Hyypia doesn't appear to be beholden to the status quo. If some doesn't work, he changes it, if it does, he keeps it.

Absolutely. Your accurate comments also make the ridiculous anti Sammi chants at Birmingham seem even more mad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here