Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Stockdale

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
IMO a good signing, and I think he will become a fans favourite. However I thought some of his kicking was a bit wayward yesterday - needs to work on that. Michel Kuipers, always a favourite of mine, had similar problems, but managed to overcome them. Anybody agree with me?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm still waiting to see him make a great save, I'm yet to be convinced by him tbh, although he hasn't done much wrong. I do worry that he is a bit casual when he has the ball at his feet and is being closed down by the opposition.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Nope. Disagree. His distribution is orders of magnitude better than Kuszczak and so many of our attacks yesterday were launched by his quick thinking.

On top of that, defensive confidence starts with the 'keeper and Stockdale exudes the confidence of a seasoned pro.

No he's not made a great save, but he's not had much opportunity to yet either.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm still waiting to see him make a great save, I'm yet to be convinced by him tbh, although he hasn't done much wrong. I do worry that he is a bit casual when he has the ball at his feet and is being closed down by the opposition.

Hush your mouth. I agree though. I've not seen him make a proper save of any description yet, let alone a great one. "Casual" is a good word. Twice yesterday shots went wide, but close enough for me to wonder why he didn't dive to cover them. He's either a much better judge of angle, power, swerve and where his posts are than PiG is, or he's a bit casual.

I do accept it could be me, since he comes with a decent reputation, but I'm also yet to be convinced...

I'm not sure that I accept that there was nothing he could do about yesterday's goal either, though it would have required something pretty spectacular to keep it out, I concede.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
IMO a good signing, and I think he will become a fans favourite. However I thought some of his kicking was a bit wayward yesterday - needs to work on that. Michel Kuipers, always a favourite of mine, had similar problems, but managed to overcome them. Anybody agree with me?

Best distributor of the football we have had for ages. Kuipers and kooshack couldnt kick the football.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

This - still waiting for a match winner save.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Spot on, hasn't really had nothing to do in two home(league) games, apart from pick the ball out of the net. Jury is out atm, although he did look a bit static with the goal yesterday, seemed to take an age to move his feet and seemed stuck to the spot....On the flip side, it has always been said that the sign of a good keeper is one that you don't notice doing much. I'm sure he will be fine and a good keeper for the Albion.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The transition from him catching the ball to him giving it to a teammate is a fraction of the time it was under Poyet/Garcia, which could cause a lot of problems to teams when we counterattack (once the system really gets going).

I assume it's a tactical move from Hyypia but it might just be his natural game.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The transition from him catching the ball to him giving it to a teammate is a fraction of the time it was under Poyet/Garcia, which could cause a lot of problems to teams when we counterattack (once the system really gets going).

I assume it's a tactical move from Hyypia but it might just be his natural game.

Agreed, I like this part of his game. He does seem happy to come for crosses too.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hush your mouth. I agree though. I've not seen him make a proper save of any description yet, let alone a great one. "Casual" is a good word. Twice yesterday shots went wide, but close enough for me to wonder why he didn't dive to cover them. He's either a much better judge of angle, power, swerve and where his posts are than PiG is, or he's a bit casual.

I do accept it could be me, since he comes with a decent reputation, but I'm also yet to be convinced...

I'm not sure that I accept that there was nothing he could do about yesterday's goal either, though it would have required something pretty spectacular to keep it out, I concede.

Bizarre. So because he's not had a save to make yet, he's questioned. He could do nothing about the goal, it was deflected. Or about the other two he's conceded. What do you want him to do? Get the defence to leave someone free so they can shoot and he can dive brilliantly to earn your support?

As for leaving the two shots, it's good judgement. Can't people be happy we won rather than moaning about our keeper not making saves when there were none to make?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

I think you'll find he's actually very decent on the ball. There's a difference between casual and confident.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Did Kuipers overcome it though? His distribution was always poor. As said elsewhere on here, Stockdale's distribution is a lot better than Kuipers or Kuszczak.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Bizarre. So because he's not had a save to make yet, he's questioned. He could do nothing about the goal, it was deflected. Or about the other two he's conceded. What do you want him to do? Get the defence to leave someone free so they can shoot and he can dive brilliantly to earn your support?

As for leaving the two shots, it's good judgement. Can't people be happy we won rather than moaning about our keeper not making saves when there were none to make?

Of course I can be happy we won! I'm ecstatic. That has nothing to do with whether or not our new keeper is "casual" or not.

I would agree that it is better that the keeper has no shots to save than that he has. However, when he does have a shot to save, one would hope that he would do so. Yesterday, he had one shot on target to save. He didn't. You say the shot was deflected, as though no deflected shot has ever been saved by any keeper ever.

In my op I conceded that it would have to have been an excellent save in order for it to have been saved, but I don't agree that he had absolutely no chance.

To be clear, I am not damning him. I'm simply saying that at this point I'm not entirely convinced by his shot-stopping prowess. I do think his distribution is way better than PiG's.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Of course I can be happy we won! I'm ecstatic. That has nothing to do with whether or not our new keeper is "casual" or not.

I would agree that it is better that the keeper has no shots to save than that he has. However, when he does have a shot to save, one would hope that he would do so. Yesterday, he had one shot on target to save. He didn't. You say the shot was deflected, as though no deflected shot has ever been saved by any keeper ever.

In my op I conceded that it would have to have been an excellent save in order for it to have been saved, but I don't agree that he had absolutely no chance.

To be clear, I am not damning him. I'm simply saying that at this point I'm not entirely convinced by his shot-stopping prowess. I do think his distribution is way better than PiG's.

I think that's really harsh though. Did I say no deflected shot is saveable? What I said was he could do nothing about it and in this instance, the deflection meant he couldn't go for it. Are you saying that if he'd made a couple more saves during the game, letting the goal in wouldn't have been an issue? I don't really understand your point.

It feels a bit like you are damning him because he's not had much to do so far but if you say you're not, then fine. Personally, I hope he continues to have little to do as his defence is performing well and protecting him.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

You could make a good case for saying Bogdan had no chance with that shot of CMS that he tipped on to the bar and over but he did and made a GREAT save. If that had gone in everyone would have said Bogdan had no chance with it. I am not damning Stockdale, I'm just saying he hasn't made a great save yet, it was an observation not a criticism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here