Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cello music

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
You'll be wanting the double cd with the 6 Cello Suites of JS Bach. Fantastic stuff there :thumbsup:

For something contemporary, you might want to investigate Celloman.

I'll have another recommendation for you in a bit too. Bare with me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This is the bloke - Aaron Minsky.

I love what he does with Cello. Cello blues I suppose you'd call it, but not all of it. Here's an example:

[yt]_YcLu8yNng4[/yt]

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have no clue why, but every time I leave NSC to go to youtube to collect the next piece, everything I've written in NSC disappears! So I'm having to make individual posts - sorry.

For outright lyricism, try the Delius:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
For a clichéd classic (but a classic for a reason), try either Elgar (played by du Pre for the full sob value...)

Or.....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Atom Heart Mother Suite by Pink Floyd has cello on it. Any excuse to champion my current favourite Pink Floyd track.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
...the Dvorak. I had to select a piece played by Rostropovich, so this is it. His aggression and technique is breathtaking. You have to wait until 4:30 in the clip, mind:

That'll do for starters....

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The Jacqueline Du Pre video mentioned above is IMHO a must. For something completely different have you come across Apocalyptica playing Metallica on 4 cellos.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Many thanks. Spent the morning listening to the Bach (fantastic) and am now watching the footie to some Weinberg. Will also have a go at the Elgar this week.

Jul 7, 2003
How about Apocatlyptica who play Metallica songs on four cellos:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Considered one of (if not the) greatest cellists of all-time, my Catalan girlfriend introduced me to the very excellent Pablo (Pau) Casals. Here he is performing at the White House very near the end of his life.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Considered one of (if not the) greatest cellists of all-time, my Catalan girlfriend introduced me to the very excellent Pablo (Pau) Casals. Here he is performing at the White House very near the end of his life.

It's his version of the Bach I've been listening too. Really enjoying it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here