Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber Program Notes Today

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Nice to see he has written what the majority of fans understand as opposed to those that just think we should be spending £10M plus on new players.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Basically wrote that the club transfer policy will not be dictated by social media talk.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There's a policy? That really implies there was a long term plan for the transfer window which contradicts all the evidence!

If we knew we'd be selling Buckley, Ulloa, et al then why would we wait until last minute to sign a loanee and free agent who was available all preseason?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Basically wrote that the club transfer policy will not be dictated by social media talk.

And commented on the overtop reaction from some, to sum this up I think he might have used a word that a certain a member on here uses a lot.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
And commented on the overtop reaction from some, to sum this up I think he might have used a word that a certain a member on here uses a lot.

He may as well have used that word it was pretty obvious what he meant.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Someone yelled at him before he had that water poured on him "OI, BARBER! Where's our new striker?!?!" He mouthed back "I'm trying!"

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Is there some sort of "Pick'n'Mix" counter where football clubs can fill a bag with tasty players, as and when the need arises?

I respect your posts normally but have no idea what you're getting at with this analogy. Holla was available all pre-season and could have been signed and training with the squad throughout pre-season if we moved quicker. Surely that is preferable to putting him straight into the squad on a few days notice? Ditto Tex.

Either we knew about these players already and deliberately waited until the last minute to buy them (a tactic normally reserved for lowering transfer fees, which is not applicable on a freebie and a loan) OR we were made aware of the players then immediately snapped them up, opening more questions about the scouting network, due diligence in assessing the players prior to signing them, etc...

Either way, it's extremely hard to understand our "policy" this transfer window!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
jcdenton08;6529253it's extremely hard to understand our "policy" this transfer window![/QUOTE said:
It's not if you have any understanding at all about the way football clubs and transfers work.

I respect your posts normally but have no idea what you're getting at with this analogy. Holla was available all pre-season and could have been signed and training with the squad throughout pre-season if we moved quicker. Surely that is preferable to putting him straight into the squad on a few days notice? Ditto Tex.

Either we knew about these players already and deliberately waited until the last minute to buy them (a tactic normally reserved for lowering transfer fees, which is not applicable on a freebie and a loan) OR we were made aware of the players then immediately snapped them up, opening more questions about the scouting network, due diligence in assessing the players prior to signing them, etc...

Either way, it's extremely hard to understand our "policy" this transfer window!
My point was ... that negotiating the signature of a free agent is a two-way process and can take time - especially if the target has other options (or thinks he might have).

The Albion can't just point a finger at a player we like and say "Oi, you're signing for us".

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
My point was ... that negotiating the signature of a free agent is a two-way process and can take time - especially if the target has other options (or thinks he might have).

The Albion can't just point a finger at a player we like and say "Oi, you're signing for us".

Which is a very fair point.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It's not if you have any understanding at all about the way football clubs and transfers work.

That's a very vague statement. I'm offering my opinion on our transfer activity this window. If the window were to close now, we would not have done "positive business". If you think COG is a like-for-like replacement for Ulloa, then you need to absolutely accept that we are not going to reach the heights of last season.

That said, there is plenty of time for us to make more signings and should this not happen then the same people defending our transfer "policy" this window have no right to complain about the performances of said "like for like" signings in my opinion.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That's a very vague statement. I'm offering my opinion on our transfer activity this window. If the window were to close now, we would not have done "positive business". If you think COG is a like-for-like replacement for Ulloa, then you need to absolutely accept that we are not going to reach the heights of last season.

That said, there is plenty of time for us to make more signings and should this not happen then the same people defending our transfer "policy" this window have no right to complain about the performances of said "like for like" signings in my opinion.

We're not splashing the cash, we are after value. That means saying no to over-priced players, and using the scouting team to go after quality players who aren't so much on other club's radar, like Holla. That takes longer, which is why we didn't have a rest made squad by the end of July.

COG clearly isn't a like for like replacement for Ulloa, we had three strikers to replace, why do people assume the first one we sign to be the replacement for the last one we lost?

I don't understand what people don't understand, it's not rocket science. And the same conversations happen on NSC single Summer, year after year. And year after year once we have the squad in place on 1st September we compete in the division. I can't believe people still get so worked up about something that always sorts it's self out in the end, without fail, every year (in the Amex era, obviously).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here