Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Islamic State British Fighters: Should they have their passports revoked?

Islamic State British fighters.... Should they have there passports revoked ?

• Total voters

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
One in nine fighters returning from abroad have taken part in a terror plot, according to a UK parliamentary report, while the number of UK citizens travelling to fight in foreign conflicts reached “alarming levels unlike anything seen in recent years.”

The account, which was produced by the House of Commons’ Home Affairs Committee said “a one-in-nine radicalization rate would make foreign fighter experience one of the strongest predictors of individual involvement in domestic operations that we know.”

Syria has become the “theatre of choice for foreign fighters,” according to the report, due to its proximity to Europe and the ease of travel to its main cities. The conflict has seen unprecedented numbers of foreign fighters traveling to the country, with over 400 estimated to have travelled from the UK to fight against Syrian President, Bashar Assad.

Further research by the committee found that “plots with foreign fighters are more likely to reach fruition and twice as likely to have a lethal impact.” The report states that in the first fortnight of 2014, 14 people were arrested in relation to Syrian-linked activities. This was in comparison to the 24 people arrested over the course of the preceding year. A month later, on 16 February 2014, The Sunday Times reported that as many as 250 individuals who had fought in Syria had now returned to the UK.

To try and counter this UK politicians are demanding that those foreign fighters should have their passports revoked, which would not allow them to travel anymore. The group of politicians said in the report: “We require an immediate response targeted at dissuading and preventing those who wish to go to fight from going; helping countries who are key to intercepting those who are entering Syria, and ensuring those who return do not present a danger to the UK.”

The power to revoke a British passport has only been used 14 times since April 2013, which has amazed some politicians. Another method which can be used is revoking the citizenship of those British nationals who hold dual nationality. This can be undertaken by the home secretary if the person in question is “not conducive to the public good.” There are also plans to allow those who have become naturalized Britons and have given up the passport of the country of their birth to have their citizenship revoked, if they are seen as a danger to UK security.

I my opinion they should, but how far should we go ? Should we then start looking at the family if they have some here in the Uk ? Take away benefits be it housing or social if they are claiming any ? There will be in my opinion also a grave threat to us on the mainland here from attack by the returning fighters which will could well prove Enoch's famous prediction of Rivers of blood.

Discuss.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I think they should....If you want to fight for a new Islamic state...they can give you a passport..having said that, I know of at least two paratroopers who went on leave to fight in Bosnia, and they told me of a lot of them out there, and I dont think a ban would have cropped up for that.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
First of all the more that are killed out there the better .
It may not be possible to deport them if they return as by removing their passports they become stateless .
Would be happy to see them detained as prisoners of war along with their family's .

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
They shouldn't be allowed back into this country!

As for passport revocation, surely as a fully fledged terrorist they wouldn't find it difficult getting a forged one :shrug:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
First point, it should be "their" not there in the title.

Revoking their British passports would be good if they have dual citizenship. Incidentally a major question which I have not heard asked is why the hell these wasters have British passports in the first place.

If they only have British citizenship it will be more difficult. I suggest putting them on a boat to Australia (sans passports) ... they used to be happy harbouring our criminals.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
First of all the more that are killed out there the better .
It may not be possible to deport them if they return as by removing their passports they become stateless .
Would be happy to see them detained as prisoners of war along with their family's .

Along with their family's what?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Should the same apply to mercenaries who fight for 'security companies', or is this a case of 'only if youre a muslim', fighting as a foreign mercinary for IS

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
no sane person wants these loons people back in the UK,strip them of citizenship.

let them get an IS passport and see how well that works for them

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Exactly...if you want to fight for a foreign power, they can give you citizenship....

Where does this leave non muslim mercenaries that fight around the world? The same?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Questions:
how are you going to know that someone returning has been taken part in a terror plot?
are you going to extend this to any and all terror plots?
will you include those that have been involved in conventional warfare abroad, and not terrorism?
if yes, are you going to extend this to all participants in conventional warfare abroad?
what definitions will you use to differentiate conventional warfare and terrorism?

put another way, are we going to create explicit law to follow on the matter and apply equally in all cases?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wouldn't revoking their passport keep them here? Sort of the opposite of what you want to do with them really.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Funnily enough, in the last couple of days, this question has cropped up here on the discovery of Slovak mercenaries fighting for the pro Russian forces in the Ukraine. So, now there is a debate as to whether theres Czechs there as well, and should they be prosecuted on their return

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wouldn't revoking their passport keep them here? Sort of the opposite of what you want to do with them really.
Yes, that's the problem - we don't want to keep them here, so it would have to be a case of revoking their passports before they returned - and not letting them in. Difficult to determine which ones have returned on a mission to kill their neighbours and which ones have just been on a perfectly innocent holiday, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here