Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sciatica

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What medication or exercise helps dull the pain? Any experiences?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Ibuprofen. - reduces swelling etc as well as tackling the pain.

But physiotherapy or chiropractic might help, though they do cost money.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Manning up

Having had sciatica so badly at one point many years ago that I was woken up by the pain in the middle of the night when the painkillers wore off, and where I found myself lying in bed plucking up to courage to turn over because I knew how much it would hurt, and where it took me about 20 minutes to get out of bed and go to the loo (about 5 yards), I can't help feeling this is an inadequate response.

PS - although he might be a right feeble individual with a bit of a twinge........

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
And there's me all set to Google our new flair Italian striker Giovanni Sciatica :dunce:

Serious answer: ibruprofen has helped me, or when it got really bad a couple of my other half's co-codamol. Take a look at the chairs you spend a lot of time in - they may not be helping you ...

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
For me yoga. Flexibility, core strength, better posture all make a huge difference and yoga is great for all of them. Also making sure my sitting position is good at work.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Ibroprofen (with food, it rots your stomach otherwise) & general exercise help. Staying still worsens and prolongs it.
It'll often eventually just randomly disappear but if not a jazz woodbine'll do the trick

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Physio helped me more than anything else. Ibruprofen to help with the pain, although the doctor prescribed diclofenac, it didn't help much.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
For me yoga. Flexibility, core strength, better posture all make a huge difference and yoga is great for all of them. Also making sure my sitting position is good at work.

Pretty much this. I went down the fitness route of running, core muscle training and weights, plus a lot of stretching at the end of the session.

There is no quick fix, I'm afraid you just have to put the effort in. However this does of course have significant other benefits as well as controlling the sciatica.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No painkillers seem to help and I've tried most. Most sleep I've had is 2 hours a night for the last week. Still I'll try manning up.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
No painkillers seem to help and I've tried most. Most sleep I've had is 2 hours a night for the last week. Still I'll try manning up.

The sciatic nerve is trapped which is causing the pain. A physio, or an osteopath will help you free the nerve and then you can do exercises to tone up the core strength as above.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
There was a particular stretch that helped me a lot.

Lie down on the floor.
If the pain is on the right, put your right foot to the left of your left knee on the floor.
Use your left hand to pull your right knee to the left, towards the floor. Do this slowly but as hard as you feel comfortable with and hold it for 30 secs or so at the maximum stretch you can manage.
And then release.

I hope those instructions make sense - Really helped me.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Feel sorry for you Doug. As others have said painkillers do help but I found exercises set by a physio most helpful. Mainly consited of lying flat on floor with knees bent and rolling the legs from side to side rotating the pelvis, plus pelvic thrusts which you hold for a few seconds. Best of luck.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Quick word of warning on Ibuprofen which I acknowledge is a great pain relief and anti inflammatory in one.

It also raises blood pressure so if you're already taking any statins [to lower BP] I would urge you to speak to your GP or the pharmacist at your chemist as there may be more appropriate alternatives.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Hope it is not too serious, i had acute sciatica for going on 10-12 years eventually after having all the usual physio, plaster casts to prevent movement, pain killers etc etc i had the offending prolapsed discs removed in 1991 successfully and am now working as a ground worker for a utility company, so even in the worse case scenario a normal lifestyle can be resumed although i do still get back pains the leg ache (sciatic nerve) no longer troubles me. As has been stated don't lay down for too long, rest until you can move around a bit, then keep doing the gentle exercises to keep the suppleness and mobility. Best of luck fella.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any experiences?

Yeah. I took a sabbatical about 7 years ago. Went traveling. Had a great time and I highly recommend it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Amusing that not many people want to help dougdeep.

Well deserved - one too many glib one line dullard responses to other people's threads I should imagine.

P.S. Man up you boring prick.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Have you been to the docs? I had horrendous back pain and sciatica this time last year and (although I wouldn't recommend it) Ibuprofen / co-codamol mixed with an energy drink was the only thing that relieved the pain temporarily ... in the end though the pain got so bad (to the point I was on over 30 tablets a day) and I couldn't stand, walk or lay down without being in tears. I had to have an MRI, and it turned out I'd ruptured a disc - it was that which had bonded to my sciatic nerve etc.... I ended up having an op in December and have only recently got back to full fitness. As mentioned above, physio & yoga will help it too if its not too bad .... but don't just "man up" if it carries on though. Get it checked out & sorted asap ....

Arun1664

Nov 2, 2009
There is a book called treat your own back (i think by Robin McKenzie) it describes the mechanics of the condition and some exercises. Its not a replacement for medical advise but I found it useful. As others have said, a Physio is a good idea if you can afford it (i'm not a fan of Chiropractors etc). and if you are really suffering go see a doctor, they can prescribe stronger pain killers.
Like another poster on here I ended up with an operation but i know from others that exercise and strengthening your core is also a good solution.
Best of luck, i know it hurts like a b@5tard

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here