Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lib Dems trying for the footie vote ....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Why would anyone believe a LibDem pledge again after the last manifesto pledged the end of university tuition fees? The party have had four years as a coalition partner. Why have they not moved on this in this time?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
A LibDem pledge is a sure-fire way of ensuring that the opposite happens..possibly Thorpe Park stye safety bars on each seat only released at half and full time or moments that are deemed of suitably high excitement.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Why would anyone believe a LibDem pledge again after the last manifesto pledged the end of university tuition fees? The party have had four years as a coalition partner. Why have they not moved on this in this time?
Well, as with any partnership, especially democratic ones, there will be an element of give and take, compromises,.... so in this case, as they are the minority partner, they had to give ground on tuition fees, simple really.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I've always voted since I was 18, but now I have a loathing for all of the parties. You genuinely can't tell'em apart these days. Coupled with MP's behaviour over the last few years, I've never felt so apathetic about voting. Doesn't say much for the state of party politics in this country does it?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've always voted since I was 18, but now I have a loathing for all of the parties. You genuinely can't tell'em apart these days. Coupled with MP's behaviour over the last few years, I've never felt so apathetic about voting. Doesn't say much for the state of party politics in this country does it?
Pretty much this!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is good news that a party capable of being in a coalition government has finally taken this issue seriously and endorsed it. I've just listened to Gary Gillespie on BBC Radio Five Live spouting that we've got the best league in the world etc, but most of the fans interviewed before him want safe standing.

I'd argue that Germany has the best league in the world in terms of the fans experience and, as usual, our football bodies are slow to catch on.

I'd also argue that I fancy if there are votes in it then both of the main parties will take notice eventually.

Lastly, I find it strange those other parties can do u-turns on policy but when the Lib Dems do it it's terminal for them. That is the nature of being minority party in a coalition.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Given their U-turn on their flagship policy after the last election, I would interpret this as
'if we get into government, the Liberal Democrats will ensure all football fans are seated by making sure that seatbelts are installed at every stadium and are mandatory to wear during play.'

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Lastly, I find it strange those other parties can do u-turns on policy but when the Lib Dems do it it's terminal for them. That is the nature of being minority party in a coalition.

If I'm honest, I think it was the nature of the u-turn. They u-turned on their flagship policy (not raising tuition fees). Not only that, but tuition fees only got through parliament because of Lib Dem support.

I actually agree, parties should be allowed to u-turn and do so for a variety of reasons (George W. Bush promised in his first election that as President he would follow an approach of not getting involved in other countries affairs!). I also recognise that in coalition, compromise is essential. It was the fact that they were willing to sell-out on their flagship policy that did it for me.

Anyway, sorry for the side-tracking. Back to safe standing...

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
While it's only the Libdems this is still a landmark for Safe Standing as it's really only politicians that can overcome the group that has the biggest objections to safe standing, the Police.
As for drinking in the stands, I'd ask this question. Would you be ok with away supporters sitting right next to you every week, just like all the other sports where alcohol is allowed to be consumed while watching the game.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Shame on anyone who would even consider a lib dem vote

If I had expressed a similar sentiment so clearly about UKIP on one of the numerous threads about them, I would have got all sorts of aggro.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If I had expressed a similar sentiment so clearly about UKIP on one of the numerous threads about them, I would have got all sorts of aggro.

The situation is slightly different though - I'm not aware UKIP have done the Albion any harm ? Lib Dems on the other hand - LDC, Norman Baker and of course Bellotti.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
The situation is slightly different though - I'm not aware UKIP have done the Albion any harm ? Lib Dems on the other hand - LDC, Norman Baker and of course Bellotti.

Fair enough. I was losing sight of all that. The Lib-Dems in my neck of the woods are fairly reasonable, and I think would have quite possibly supported the AMEX if it had been here (in the Borough of Eastleigh). The Rose Bowl is in Eastleigh, and there were advanced plans to build the new saints stadium in the Borough, near Southampton Parkway station, before they put it in the City Centre.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here